1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Chivos

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by rhomboid, Oct 24, 2014.

1. rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

Not a complaint, just a question.

How do steam chivos get added? Achievements are pretty strong motivators, especially for me (ohgawd any collectible *-*)
    I'm not suggesting they should/will be added anytime soon, I'm just curious as to the process that goes into them.

Also, what kinds of chivos do you guys think will be included? I know they're working on a huge update with quests and stuff, but I'm sure someone's got an idea or two floating around.

Gav Featherbeak likes this.
  2. CaptThad

CaptThad Pangalactic Porcupine

I imagine they won't go in until progression gets finalized. Tying achievements to story mission clears is a pretty easy way to go. Figure there'll be some loosely tied to tech progression too.

Maybe they could have achievements for finding certain uncommon biome types. Wouldn't want anything too deeply based on random values, like say "Battle of the Space Bands: Find one of every instrument type".

rhomboid likes this.
  3. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

Agreed, I'm a fan of achievements and collectables as well.
    I'd say there should be an achievement for completing every major quest, one for every 10 sidequests, crafting certain items and Boss killing ones.

rhomboid likes this.
  4. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Chivos isn't that spanish for goats?

Jbeetle and The | Suit like this.
  5. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

Probably.

Serenity likes this.
  6. Sambonizer

Sambonizer Void-Bound Voyager

It's also a slang for homosexuals (in spanish that is), which is what I thought at first.
    Anyway, I'd also like to see what they come up with

rhomboid and Serenity like this.
  7. rhomboid

I'm on board with the bosses one, and the quest ones. I also hope there's Easter-egg planets/weapons/whatever else that you can get chivos for. Some for gameplay in general, some chance-based ones, and some skill based ones is my ideal selection I think. That way you can be shit at the game but you still get chivos if you have at it for long enough, which I think is totally fair.

Also @ Spanish slang, Spanish and English have a lot of beef with each other lol. Like Ponce is a popular last name in Latino countries and it means dumbass (and variants) in English slang. Either way, giggle.

Serenity likes this.
  8. Serenity

Achievements for killing every easter egg mob like the creepers. Also did you make up the phrase steam chivo because I have never herd that in my entire life.

Jbeetle and The | Suit like this.
  9. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I might be wrong in this - but i some how doubt it.
    If steam achievements were to be added the indirect side effect would be the steam version of starbound would no longer be DRM Free.
    After all the way steam authenticates steam achievements would be through the stream wrapper - which is essentially the steam DRM.

So by asking for Achievements you are asking for Steam version of Starbound to have DRM. So no more steam free launches.

rhomboid likes this.
  10. Harlander

Harlander Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've read it before, never seen that spelling though.

You could have an achievement mechanism in the game that's not tied to Steam - but then you'd probably get people complaining that their achievements weren't showing in Steam.

Serenity likes this.
  11. rhomboid

Ohhhh. Fair enough, I hadn't thought of it like that. Are there in-game achievements? I legitimately can't remember. I suppose there are quests, which are sort of like chivos.

@Serenity No... as far as I know it's been in use for a long time. I first heard it from a friend of mine who collects xbox chivos.
    @Harlander How have you seen it spelled?

12. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

cheevos

Essentially this entire time you were asking for starbound goats.
    I personally have no problem with that.

Colaymorak, Serenity, Jbeetle and 2 others like this.
  13. CaptThad

CaptThad Pangalactic Porcupine

They could still have an in-game achievement/trophy/challenge system without needing to use Steam achievements in particular, if they were so inclined. Pretty sure there are games available outside of Steam that still offer Steam achievements in the Steam version though.

Kingdoms of Amalur comes to mind, released simultaneously on Origin and Steam, but that might be a special case.

14. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Or a starbound/goat simulator mashup. That could be quite interesting, or the most terrible thing ever, depending on your perspective.

They could do achievements displayed from an in-game menu option only the way older games used to do it, but that probably isn't something that would happen until much closer to release.

Serenity, rhomboid and The | Suit like this.
  15. Harlander

Harlander Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I tried to find out if there was anything official about Steamworks-without-Steam working, but I really couldn't, so I came to report my failure

rhomboid likes this.
  16. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

Came into this thread for Cheetos

Was disappointed

Akado likes this.
  17. rhomboid

come to think of it I have seen 'cheevos' before, and just didn't think to type it like that. I usually am talking out loud when I say the word lol so I just spelled it however.

I'd be down for an in-game chivos (I'm sticking with it o3o) menu

18. Serenity

That makes alot more sense

the search for starbound goats continues

Akado and The | Suit like this.
  19. rhomboid

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want a herd of goats following me around.
    Collectible goats, no less.

Colaymorak and Serenity like this.
  20. Serenity

each goat gives you new goat power like the ability to climb mountains and eat tin cans

Colaymorak and rhomboid like this.