1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheapest Laptop to run Starbound well?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Moon Star, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Moon Star

Moon Star Cosmic Narwhal

I'm going to be buying a new laptop for school so I can make use of E-books and programming and the like. But I would also like to play Starbound (as well of risk of rain) on it from time to time. Does anyone know of any cheap laptops capable of running Starbound?

If this is in the wrong place, I'm sorry.

2. GeneralMittens

GeneralMittens Subatomic Cosmonaut

I would suggest anything that meets the minimum specs for both, I don't know enough about laptop to suggest anything specific.

3. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

I do not recommend getting something that meets the minimum requirements. Min Req just means the computer has the ability to play it, not play it well. It will be laggy as molasses in the winter if you get min req. I don't know much about computers so I can't recommend anything, but this is all the help I can provide.

Jonesy and Jbeetle like this.
  4. Ariskelis

Ariskelis Ketchup Robot

What do you mean by cheap? It'd help if you could give a budget within ~100$ of what you can afford :p

5. Moon Star

Moon Star Cosmic Narwhal

I am hoping to find something around 200 dollars but I can go higher.

6. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I know my laptop runs it ok.

Gateway NE56R48u

However I believe it is roughly $300-$400. Well when I got it that was the price. It is not really a gaming computer, but can run quite a few games. Other than the one I own I wouldn't know what to suggest, as this is the first laptop that ran some of the recent games that I have had. Not talking about the graphic intensive games, just your average game today. Minecraft is one that well.... still has issues with, but what computer doesn't at the moment in some form or fashion. :D

7. TeddyBearYoshi

TeddyBearYoshi Subatomic Cosmonaut

If you want a laptop that will run Starbound, that would be about $600. I'd recommend in investing in a gaming PC for like $500 if you build it yourself could run BF4 on Ultra.

8. Typhin

Typhin Void-Bound Voyager

One of the biggest things to watch out for when picking out a laptop is the video chipset. A lot will brag about having AMD or nVidia chipsets, but that doesn't mean much when it's one of the low-end ones. I ran into that issue with my current laptop, since it has a Radeon 4200 inside. But the 2 marks it as fairly low-end within the Gen 4 series, so while it runs some things, it usually has to do so on minimum settings and certain effects kill it badly. Star Wars: The Old Republic became unplayable any time there was smoke/dust/fog in the room, for example, and Rogue Legacy became a slideshow whenever playing with a Nearsighted/Farsighted character because of the blurring effect.

I don't know the nVidia numbering schemes off the top of my head, but for AMD, you really gotta pay attention to that second digit... Though, they might have changed their scheme in the newest cards, I haven't looked into buying stuff in a while... ~_~

9. Tremoraid

Tremoraid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My previous laptop had an Intel onboard graphics card, it honestly worked fine except for a few games that refused to run it because it was an Intel onboard graphics card ( mainly D3 and PAM) I could technically run Skyrim on low, though it was very slow, but it still played :3. It also played Starbound fine, but i've upgraded since then.

Most of the newer laptops are pretty crap, with only like 1.5 ect GHZ processors or lower. Going to a physical store? Forget getting anything remotely decent, hell most of the PC stores, at least in my area, wouldn't even be able to play CS:S.

I'd suggest getting something with at least 2 GHZ processor, at least 4K of ram (but if its a good deal with less ram, take it because you can always update the ram, though its expensive) You'll want to look at benchmarking sites to see what the onboard graphics card is rated. All the other bells and whistles are not important, like if it has an onboard wireless card is trivial since you can buy USB dongles for internet for about 9 bucks, they aren't the best, but if you have to the choice is there.

I would search Newegg and post some ones that would probably work but, idk if that sort of thing is allowed.
    Fingerswipers and things like that are actually pretty crap for a computer, mainly because if you let the updater update it they will stop working, better hope you had a password set up too ;).

Personally I'd browse Newegg until a higher priced laptop is on sale and buy it, because most of the ones being pumped out (at least when I was shopping for a new PC) were being built for old people/facebook flash games.

K, I've looked at Newegg and these are the two cheapest models that should be more than enough to play Starbound
    ASUS 90NB04U5-M10130 (It has a touchscreen, which could be useful for art, and its still pretty cheap. Its windows 8 but, its not like that can't be changed.)
    ASUS X551MAV-EB01-B (Very cheap but ok all around, Also windows 8)
    They are both Intel, mainly because Intel is the cheapest thing to slap into a laptop. Obviously you wont be to play most highly 3d games made above 2009 very will or at all (depending on the game) But you should be able to play Starbound and Minecraft (with optifine, obviously)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  10. Moon Star

Moon Star Cosmic Narwhal

A laptop has been purchased. Thank you all for your help. Case dismissed.