1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Character Names

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Juggernaught, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Juggernaught

Juggernaught Seal Broken

One of my favourite things to do in Starbound is making my character. Anyone have any good character names? I spent an hour making characters for fun and could never think of any Good names.

:chucklefish:

Lavranzo and Axe Garian like this.
  2. Ariskelis

Ariskelis Ketchup Robot

Depends on what kind of names you like, what kind of character they are.. race.. I could probably think of a few for you, but I need to know what they're all about :p

Juggernaught and Feathery Dust like this.
  3. Juggernaught

Juggernaught Seal Broken

Ok,

4. Heartstrings

Heartstrings Giant Laser Beams

Well, I named my Floran Mirrell, and a Novakid Flash. Try clicking random generate, then mixing the letters a bit, then correcting them so they seem phonically plausible. If you end up with the words you started with, you're doing it wrong.

Juggernaught likes this.
  5. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

My human is named Hawk Novablast, as you can see from my avatar :p

Juggernaught likes this.
  6. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

Finding good names is certainly difficult, unless it's a human of course :V
    I either use the name generator, or just name my characters after.. well.. my previous characters (90% of my chars are named Feather hehe).

Juggernaught likes this.
  7. DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

The name-gen once gave my platinum-bouffanted Apex the name Coifdrama.

It remains perfect.

8. OuttaThinAir

OuttaThinAir Big Damn Hero

I named my main character Nasaneru. That turned out pretty good!

Juggernaught likes this.
  9. MrLevi

MrLevi Phantasmal Quasar

Boris, the Scummy Apex Landlord
    Myco, the Curious Floran Scientist
    Tango, the Intrepid Novakid Archeologist

ReverendBonobo and Juggernaught like this.
  10. MrHiggle

MrHiggle Existential Complex

Unbound is still my favorite

L. F. Oxidizer and Juggernaught like this.
  11. FloomRide

FloomRide Cosmic Narwhal

I mainly use random generator, it generates Ideas for names.

My current character is a Hylotl named Pearlbert. It works so well.

Juggernaught and MrLevi like this.
  12. OuttaThinAir

OuttaThinAir Big Damn Hero

That reminds me of a Hylotl character that I made at some point... Prawn-Lord!

Juggernaught likes this.
  13. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

bloodwing
    floran start, avian end
    wingbleerder
    avian start, floran end
    2 perfectly normal names

Juggernaught likes this.
  14. sansy

sansy Big Damn Hero

My Novakid's name is Levi, because Levi Strauss fascinates me, haha. I decide to roll with Whimsy most of the time though, because it kinda ties in with who I am as a person. Maybe look up some name meanings if you're having trouble picking out GOOD names?
    With Floran, you can just put a few words together, like Personstabber :0
    For Avian, try and pick a name that ties with their whole "religious bird people" theme? Not too sure.
    Humans can have human names. I have a human named Starbound Stan, even. Names can be as wacky or flat as you'd like.
    I usually give my Novakid characters western-y names, I have one named after Charlotte Parkhurst, actually.
    Glitch, Apex, and Hylotl I usually don't play so I'm not really sure tbh :0 I have a Hylotl named Umi though, after the ocean ^^

I am very disappointed that you didn't name him Prawn-Sta-*shot*

Juggernaught likes this.
  15. Bensanity32

Bensanity32 Space Hobo

I usually use a cool name from a show or movie, then incorporate the race into the last name
    Avian: Mako Metalwing
    Glitch: Elric Metalheart (I like metal)

Juggernaught likes this.
  16. Fresh Ears

Fresh Ears Big Damn Hero

I usually alter my favorite name-gen results from the character create menu. If I can't find something good enough, I'll use it as a guideline and make up one that fits in.

My Apex was named: Hamtwinkles (pretty sure I didn't even have to alter that one!)
    I named my Floran (main): Starbanger (I want to start a band with him by the same name.)
    My Human is: Palmero (just sounded cool to me)
    My Glitch: Johan Faithbook (sounded dark agey to me lol)
    and my Avian: Featherbringer

I like the lightheartedness of the random name-gen better than any serious or badass-sounding name I could think of.

Juggernaught likes this.
  17. Oxide

Oxide Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I play a lot of tabletop rpgs - DnD and the like - so I have a lot of names I can use. I have, actually, only played the Glitch and now recently the Novakids but I do have some extra names I'll be using for the other races.
    Glitch Knight: Sir Frederick Shard of the House of Davion (shortened to Sir Shard)
    Novakid: Oxide (Nitrous Oxide, Bounty Hunter; also the name of my account here)

I intend to have an Apex called Ogilvy sometime in the future (guess the reference) but I haven't really found much interest in the other races (Humans, so bland!)
    Come to think of it, I don't have that many characters made up.....

Juggernaught likes this.
  18. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

i do the silly.

i know my characters will be wiped so i just use colors. i had a character named "Porcelain Pearl" as an example.

R.I.P Porcelain Pearl

Juggernaught likes this.
  19. Chrismaween

Chrismaween Void-Bound Voyager

Think of your characters' race, personality, and skill set. Here's a few names I came up with on the fly:

Warrior: Brutus, Ikkabu, Ora, Inucoatl, Sir Adinus, Kilrog, Jannus, Lady Adera, Kline, Orsifel, Hiroshi.
    Rogue: Ikku, Percy, Kell, Tsuna, Linu, Lina, Usin, Aggin, Serafey, Linus.
    Engineer: Gears, Forge, Hammer, Rusty, Katwi, Ukkani, Kragfell, Art, Infor, Leonardo, Marketh.
    Fencer: Le Fleur Noir, Menask, Zorro, Kukimu, Pinar, Bernard, Lio, Anuro, Echiku, Inigo.
    Wizard: Draenus, Leon, Wixar, Wizurdu (For Real!), Stenarus, Jekkiu, Jasper, Pion.
    Psychic: Stenar, Drinus, Mark, Berylum, Tiana, Yuri, Isor, Makkalu, Ilumar.
    Priest: Anurus, Kanuki, Jenarun, Denarin, David, Jesse, Loran, Laura, Kilu.

Note: The Wizard skill set is for if you have the Arcane Add-On.[DOUBLEPOST=1417883933][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, if the post above doesn't help, use an online name generator until you get one you like.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    Juggernaught likes this.
  20. Will Liferider

Will Liferider Ketchup Robot

Use names from history and mythology like Archimedes, Theseus, or Agamemnon

I also like plays on words. I named a Novakid character "Nova the Kidd" :rofl:

Juggernaught likes this.