1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Caves need to be revamped

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Lukas1337pwn, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Lukas1337pwn

Lukas1337pwn Void-Bound Voyager

So i have been playing the nightlys a bit and overall it looks pretty cool BUT:
    The Caves, the mining is still the same. I think that it needs to have much more adventure because right now it is just boring.
    I mean i digged with admin mode right down to the Planet Core and there was NOTHING like a room, some cool biome or something like that on the way down there.
    The Mining in this game right now is really boring and sadly you have to mine really much.
    Maybe the next thing the devs should do is improve the mining, or the caves in generall and make them more of an adventure.

KONGIKU, Hugt, Uzkniso and 1 other person like this.
  2. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

Agreed, if we\re forced to mine for a long amount of time just so we can make progress it should at least be interesting.

KONGIKU and Lukas1337pwn like this.
  3. Gav Featherbeak

Gav Featherbeak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah, it's especially annoying when you have to do it right at the start of the game if you want to get anywhere, and that you can only do it with some of the worst equipment.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
    Lukas1337pwn and Feathery Dust like this.
  4. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

It's basically grinding, but done wrong.

Zuvaii and Lukas1337pwn like this.
  5. DarithD

DarithD Pangalactic Porcupine

Well its still in devolepment, but i guess an underground dungeon could be cool.

And yeah, mining is boring.nothing really great about it :(

Feathery Dust and Lukas1337pwn like this.
  6. Uzkniso

Uzkniso Big Damn Hero

I agree. There should be more cool stuff underground as well.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    Lukas1337pwn likes this.
  7. Lukas1337pwn

So far, i have to agree with everyone of you guys! :)

8. Uzkniso

Uzkniso Big Damn Hero

Hopefully once they add ocean planets, there will be interesting structures underwater.

Same should go for planets with little to no water. There should be some towns or whatever, underground, which can't be seen from the surface.

Lukas1337pwn and Feathery Dust like this.
  9. CaptThad

CaptThad Pangalactic Porcupine

They have some mildly interesting stuff here and there (and unsettling, like the flesh and hell biomes), and they're still pumping out new biomes. Unless you're stripping every planet entirely, it's complete luck whether or not you run into anything specific though, like the hidden treasure rooms. Not to mention with the work it takes just to determine any given planet's sub-biome, it's not a ton of fun searching for 'em after a while.

It'd be nice to have some kind of equippable that could scan below you for sub-biome types and anomalies. Get a decent idea of where to dig instead of wasting a ton of time hoping for the best. With a number of planets significantly beyond anything a person could be able to explore fully in a lifetime, we need some shortcuts to find the interesting stuff.

heh Real people on our real planet in the real world don't even go around digging blindly hoping to randomly turn stuff up. Has to be a viable workaround in a distant-future sci-fi game. Could always load up a world viewer app, but it'd be nice to have something in-game that didn't feel so cheaty.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    Lukas1337pwn likes this.
  10. yclatious

yclatious Guest

In all honesty, Diging and such needs a LOT more than just damed pickaxes and Matter Manipulators, not just generation.

It WILL come a time you are blody rich, filled with good loot and got a nice stock of Impervium and other High Tier ores, and what hapens then?

We need some Mining equipment,a Mech, a Pilotable giant Drill a la Incredibles, something that alows major sub teranean Terraforming, heck, call it a underground nuke or Alha Strike, but im so sick of High tier sticking with admitedly fast picks but nothing more interesting or, well, bigger?

It just feels so... mediocre to folow this formula without inovating anything, it doesent show any progression in a palpable way

The Squid and Lukas1337pwn like this.
  11. CaptThad

Are you playing the nightlies? Would guess not if you're mentioning the picks, since those are kinda worthless at the moment. The current fully upgraded matter manipulator is a beast. I mean, people could always ask for bigger, but it really gets the job done.

That stuff's all in flux right now though, they're still working to get the system the way they want it to be. Have to wait and see where they land. Picks/drills/MM are all changing around a lot.

Plus, I wonder how much underground terraforming we'll be doing when/if that player-built space station system comes into play.

Lukas1337pwn likes this.
  12. yclatious

yclatious Guest

I have played the Nightlies an I am aware of their nerf, in my post I was also refering to a bit of Terraria, tis all.

Well, lets ope stuff like this does indeed pull through, id be quite the shame if it didnt, huh?

Serenity and Lukas1337pwn like this.
  13. Lukas1337pwn

I did run across like 3 Treasure Rooms underground in caves in my 50 Hours of playing, thats really not much. Now compare this to Terraria, where there are tons of Treasure Rooms, Gem Caves and some Spider caves. Yes of course Starbound also has underground minibiomes, but as of now they are really empty and it doesn't really feel like your in another biome. And yeah, such a equippable would be cool.

yclatious likes this.
  14. CaptThad

The only thing I'd have to point out with the comparing to Terraria sentiment is that Terraria has to be more dense by necessity. The character only has access to a single world (so to speak). In Starbound, they have to spread the same level of density across a bajillion worlds.

If they had the proper scanning type stuff in-game, I'd be perfectly fine with the majority of planets being lifeless rocks, only good for mining some resources and forgetting. I kinda find the expectation that every planet will have a village/dungeon/outpost and native creatures to be a little odd. Life should be rare, and civilization (and any evidence thereof) should be very, very rare. However, I can deal with them not going that way, 'cause they're doing it for obvious gameplay reasons. I definitely don't expect every planet to be as dense as Terraria was though--wouldn't make much sense in the grand design of the game.

I would like more vibrance and reward to some of the underground biomes though (alongside plenty more variety), so I agree with that sentiment. Sounds like they've really been chugging away at that in particular the last couple weeks.

Lukas1337pwn likes this.
  15. Lukas1337pwn

I have to agree that not every world must have as much things underground as Terraria, still right now there just isn't enough. Caves get fast really boring. Rewards in Chests down there are also really, well the same every time? I mean you can get in a chest Pixels, a Sword or Bars. That just isn't pretty rewarding. I really have to agree with your underground biome point -- they don't reward you at all. (except some Blueprints). Also i'm sorry if my English isn't the best - i'm German :)

The | Suit and CaptThad like this.
  16. DarithD

DarithD Pangalactic Porcupine

I call the city RAPTURE dungeon!

Serenity likes this.
  17. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

It would be nice if they had some sort of racial consistency spread throughout the planet. Like, if a planet has an Avian village, some Avian pirates and maybe a few Avian houses, wouldnt it be nice to have some sort of Avian structure underground as well?

Lukas1337pwn likes this.
  18. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

The new cave update is nice.

Lukas1337pwn and CaptThad like this.
  19. Harlander

Harlander Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The new cave generation, at least as far as I could tell from the post, makes some pretty nice-looking natural cave shapes. Plenty of areas of solid soil to fit dungeons in too

Lukas1337pwn likes this.