Race Caritcerta, (lizard people)

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by fg094, Dec 8, 2013.

1. fg094

fg094 Aquatic Astronaut

name :
    lizian Caritcerta (pronounced Car-It-Serta, a portmanteau of latan meaning charitable lizard)

History:
    Caritcerta (as named by humans, as they never felt the need to have a name for themselves) have a massive propensity to learn, but most lack any sort of drive and are easily satisfied (if it ain't broke (obviously broken not just working at 50%) don't fix it". they are often found in simple communist or tribal societies, each contributing to the good of their settlement without being asked (they are often called the most charitable of races) this has led to themselves being extremely naturally trustworthy while being suspicious of all strangers. the idea of going back on one's word would never occur to one unless shown the idea (often by another race), and even then it feels odd to them. while it is unknown who first showed them the idea of space travel, and they they rarely develop new technology of their own, they were very quick to copy the technology. Because of their easily satisfied nature brought on by evolving on a planet that left little room for technological, and societal development they are rarely found on more than one planet in a solar system. however there are still a rare few Caritcerta whom are born with sense of adventure and will leave home in search of it (player character).

Personality:
    though like all races they differ greatly and are all individuals, they tend to tend to be to the point and honest sometimes (though usually not purposefully) brutally so (never ask one if your armor makes you look silly). Also make sure to never mistake them for simpletons. sit one down with a problem and they can solve it faster than just about any other race, Just don't expect them to improve upon their solution once the problem is solved.

Technology:
    most of their technology is a patchwork of things copied or bought (never stolen) from other races, mainly human, and glitch. human for their simple and functional design and Glitch out respect, as they believe glowing eyes to be and outward sign of a powerful soul. A wise human captain once said when you face a caritcera make sure to kill it the first time or expect to be shot with your own guns, in reference to their almost frightful ability to reverse engineer with nothing but their own memory as well their regenerative abilities.

Medical:
    As Caritcerta's own reptilian healing rate and immune system will take care of all but fatal wounds in just a few days-weeks as well as make them almost immune to infection; their medical practices consist of nothing more than bandages and stitches to hold a wound shut.

Construction:
    their buildings reflect their easily content nature and they often stick to the small pre-frab buildings they arrive with. however as they expand they will build for function rather than style, and can be found in everything from grass huts to log cabins and desert mud-plaster houses (depends on biome) and even large tenements if their population grows enough. but they will almost always at least one heater of some type in the main area, and will often have a stone slab on the roof for them to sun themselves on (a rare pleasure in their dreary swampy homeworld). it is also not uncommon to find them in settlements and buildings that near copies of another nearby race.

Special abilities:
    Lizian's are able to use their strong tail as a third arm allowing them to swim faster or, as their warrior are famous for, wield an extra item/ weapon (i.e. a two handed weapon + shield, one handed weapon + shield +flash light, or two handed gun + one handed melee weapon.) like most reptiles, they have strong immune systems, and can regenerate health or even a lost limb such as a tail (A very embarrassing injury for them) slowly over time, but easily succumb to cold (half the natural resistance of other races) and get sick if they eat anything other than meat.

Appearance:
    Lizard_man_by_koutanagamori.jpg
    (shamelessly taken from koutanagamori on deviantart....)
    lizardspear.png
    as an interesting side note, as a reptile they lack both mammaries and external genitalia, and so the only way to tell males and females apart is that females are slightly shorter and less bulky than males and males often grow horns (often leading adolescent males to be mistaken for adult females by other races (much to their dismay)

fun fact: When a Caritcerta stays for long enough on a planet the color of their scales may change to better match their environment: old proverb, "He who's scales have adopted the darkness have nested in the shadows of deceit" (might seem a little racist to others who are unaware that their scales can change color)

Author note: I changed the tribal to /communist because so many people where pointing out that there already is one, however i feel the need to point out tribalism is not a time/technological period, but is in fact system much like communism in that every one has a role in the community and fulfill it simply because it is there role. e.x. the hunter is confident he will have clothing because the seamstress will make it, and the seamstress will have food because the hunter got it. no money changes hands, there is no real calculated trade it is simply their job so they do it.

Request: it has recently come to my attention that i fail at making starbound style sprites. if some one could translate the ones i provided into a more starbound style it would make me super happy... pls... some one?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    Ranruk, Stalc, NinjaKec and 4 others like this.
  2. Scorchcast

Scorchcast Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like this.

3. Wall of Steel

Wall of Steel Big Damn Hero

I usually ignore race suggestions without a picture or a sprite. This is no exception.
    The picture seems bugged. You might want to fix that.

Slug likes this.
  4. fg094

fg094 Aquatic Astronaut

the whole forum is like that, you just have to refresh again and again until it apears

5. Gerrinator

Gerrinator Starship Captain

Good idea, terrible name. It should be something like "Reptilion" or something like that. Lizians has the same suffix as Avians, and I believe it should be different.

6. fg094

fg094 Aquatic Astronaut

possible alternate name: the porosus

Stalc likes this.
  7. Gerrinator

Gerrinator Starship Captain

8. Wall of Steel

Ah-ha! Thanks. Now, time to criticize.

1- The biggest issue is their body shape. They do not fit the current race models we have at all. They have to look like the current races in terms of shape.
    2- We should stop with this tribal/medieval non-sense. Avians are sort of tribal/medieval-ish, the Florans are obviously tribal and the Glitch are medieval. The Hyloths, Hylotons... The fish guys are not so modern by the looks either. This means that there are only 2 (3 with the Novakids) races with any actual technology.
    3- Even the Glitch males and females have a different appearance. All races need to have a different appearance, even if it doesn't make any sense.
    4- Their advantages over other races are massive. Like, they even have a seperate HUD.

I think that is it.

9. fg094

fg094 Aquatic Astronaut

thanks for the feed back, reading back through it I realized I was passive aggressively asking for a bigger differences between the races. so let's minus the whole tail thing for now. as for the whole tribal thing, there are so many different kinds of tribal societies that it is hard not to look to them for ideas. so far we have Aztec (who are not actually tribal by the way) and Tarzan/stereotypical jungle. I envisioned these as more of the voodoo swamp sort of thing. but what kind of time period/era would you like to see?

10. DTBKiller

DTBKiller Big Damn Hero

Their appearance. It's just pure awesome. With a tweak here and there i'd gladly accept this as a race in starbound :D.
    And with the little tweak here and there i meant two things:

1st. For a tribal society we alredy have florans. Not saying the tribal society style doesnt fit them, because it surely does, but im not sure if 2 tribal races for starbound would be the way to go. I wouldnt mind, but, it isnt up to me.

2nd. Their special third arm/tail ability. Sounds a bit OP.

But apart from that it's a great idea, i think a lizard race would be a great addition to starbound. I also love the way the look and the personality of the race.

And as a side note for your side note, you maybe could differentiate the males from the female due to the claw length and the tail length? or some unique feature on the scales? some sort of body painting?

Just my thoughts. :)

11. Raptoral ze great guy

Raptoral ze great guy Big Damn Hero

It looks really nice and for hair you could maybe take a leaf out of skyrims book.
    I always found that the skyrim argonians looked really nice

12. Wall of Steel

I haven't seen an industrial era yet in any race suggestion out there, and I am a fan of it. Don't think it would fit lizards though.

13. NinjaKec

NinjaKec Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I love these D:

14. fg094

fg094 Aquatic Astronaut

their weapon of choice: poleaxe, it's a spear and an axe with a slightly longer reach than a great sword... what's not to love?

15. DTBKiller

DTBKiller Big Damn Hero

What about their armor of choice?

16. fg094

fg094 Aquatic Astronaut

as of right now their isnt any armor classifications such as light, medium, heavy. so that info wouldn't mean much

17. Flame080

Flame080 Red Gang

they look cool for sure hmm... they should have somthing special about them if you know what I mean:V

18. VinchenzoJackal

VinchenzoJackal Big Damn Hero

Reptilian beings... a must have in every game... even if not playable... even if monsters... they would be a great hit.
    Really, this idea could be implemented in any form... not just for players... and work well...

19. DTBKiller

DTBKiller Big Damn Hero

Leather, copper, iron, etc...

20. James009

James009 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I must agree, it would be cool to have lizard people in the game. I think it's almost a standard to have lizard people in games and I know a friend of mine will be very overjoyed if we had them.

They should probably have a swimming bonus but be less resistant to cold.