Modding Help Capture pod seeds?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Yzzey, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

I was messing around in star cheat and trying to make a bone dragon pet, when I realised that the capture pods with randomly generated monsters in them have a 'seed' which determines what creature is contained in the pod. Has anyone figured out the algorithm? Are different numbers tied to different parts? Or is it just random? I want to try to recreate Derrick using the seed.

2. It is literally based on a random number. You could set the seed to 1 and it would still work... You will not be able to figure out the algorithm either.

3. Whale Cancer

Whale Cancer Big Damn Hero

Yeah, I have done some experimentation in this area. You need to rewrite the monster system to get this to work (I wrote a program to autogenerate 10,000s of combinations of monsters parts into monsters). Unfortunately, because we don't have much control over how monsters spawn (correct me if I am wrong), you can't really replace the existing monster spawns.

Unless Chucklefish opens things up a bit more, we are pretty much prevented from doing anything terribly interesting with randomly generated monsters.

4. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

I wasn't trying to change monster spawn, what I was going for was to change the seed, so that the mob inside the capture pod gets changed, nothing else. I was wondering if the seeds generate the parts, example, 12345 and 12346 would generate the same monster, but with a different head.

5. No. It will be completely difderent. That's the whole POINT of having algorithms like this.

6. Whale Cancer

Whale Cancer Big Damn Hero

Indeed, but because that is not possible, you need to do the workaround I alluded to in order to have the basic effect you are looking for. That's why I mentioned it.