Modding Help Can porjectile powers be variable? (math, variables, etc.)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Tuesday's Eyebrow, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Tuesday's Eyebrow

Tuesday's Eyebrow Phantasmal Quasar

So, I've been messing around with modding starbound for well over a year now, and have decided to actually devote myself to a single project that I'll actually release on here. Anywho, I've run into a huge snag in the form of projectile powers (weapon damage). The way the every .sword file uses it is by calling a single, set number, but I want to do more with it.

-Example 1: A weapon that is relatively weak, but occasionally deals massive damage, kinda like Mehrunes Razor. I have no clue how to do this though. I thought maybe a weighted list could work, but then, I don't know how to make a weighted list.

-Example 2: A weapon whose projectile power is determined by the character's maximum health, like the Ultima Weapon from the Final Fantasy series. It would also use math. When I tried to implement this, I used the following:
    "projectile" : {
    "speed" : 0.1,
    "power" : {"maxHealth" * 10}

as well as just:
    "projectile" : {
    "speed" : 0.1,
    "power" : "maxHealth"

Both of which made the item appear invalid (generic item green cube thingy) which made me wonder: is it even possible to use variables, math, lists or other functions to determine a projectile's power?

I'll keep messing around and report back with my findings, but it would be wonderful if any help whatsoever were to be provided.

2. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

I kind of a noob when it comes to Starbound modding, but I'm pretty sure that all weapons properties are currently defined in JSON. I don't think JSON is capable of doing the sort of scripting that you want. With the updates to status effects in the nightlies, you might be able to work through those.

3. This topic pretty much coincides with my post in your other topic.