1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Build Your Own ship/ Sandbox Ship[Dead]

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Rik, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Rik

Rik Industrial Terraformer

Eh, That could technically work, but I can see this being very resource intensive, especially for a multiplayer, server end due to the calculations it'd have to make for each tile.

However, I propose instead that you make the space station simply just a static piece of artwork, very similar to how the current ship background assets operate. and the "hangar" being your actual ship space, similar to how this mod is essentially one large invisible box ship.

You construct your ship in the hangar, and have the script re-positiion the background artwork to give an illusion your ship lifting up and moving out of the hangar.

I'll take a look and see if it'll affect the file size, if it stays similar or smaller I'd certainly not have an issue releasing such a change. Simultaneous worlds are very intensive on the server, and I do not advise multiplayer when your ship file is straining the server more than an actual world is.

2. Ahmera

Ahmera Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks. Our Starbound-Server is running on a dedicated server with plenty of ressources, so i hope the software can handle it.

Anyway, thanks for your response. Looking forward to it!

3. Ferru

Ferru Void-Bound Voyager

Ferru Explorer.jpg
    Figured I'd give a go with my remaining resources before the wipe, kinda hope I can take it with me.! Love the potential of this, thanks Rik!

skulledrebel and Villy Spectrum like this.
  4. Darkel

Darkel Void-Bound Voyager

Still, you'll have to clear all of invisible spacestation walls. Well, I like your approach too.

Yes, I suppose it will be resource intensive. But only visible blocks must be redrawn by timer, screenwidth x screenheight of blocks at zoom 1. Others can be cleared out.
    And it'll only have to do this once, in the beginning, so it takes additional strain off the engine too. That is, if you don't want to make docking to other stations possible.
    Overall, engine manages to load block chunks on the fly constantly without any slowdown. I think it'll manage.

5. debugman18

debugman18 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Are you guys planning on implementing current ship art as decor objects for this? I've already started tearing the ship images apart into different pieces, so if you guys want those, I'd be happy to share them once I'm finished with them all.

6. Rik

Rik Industrial Terraformer

it'd be easier to clear only a small area around your ship rather than move a massive ***ing station, I'll tell ya that much.
    Plus, the moving station art asset would likely be eyecandy enough to keep the user's attention while the blocks are being moved. Very similar to the current hyper-drive system when traveling between planets.(it acts as a loading screen to give time for the planet to generate)

As for the engine, it handles it quite well I'd agree.(you really have to appreciate how well it handles liquids compared to terraria) I always try to look it at it from a big picture perspective, which includes multiplayer.

Which brings me to my other point, I always try to maintain my work to compatible with vanilla multiplayer, this way they can see your ship and all its assets properly without having to install anything themselves. You guys are free to use my mod or re-create it on your own if you really want to have those custom asset objects, but I will never use anything that isn't in the vanilla game unless the server gets content management system similar to how minecraft has server side texture packs.

7. That Lamer

That Lamer Big Damn Hero

I forgot to come back and edit my post after I did some searching and saw how the ship files actually work. Real bummer that it isn't a tileset that can be worked with, hopefully chucklefish will consider breaking it down into one for modders. That would make it possible to have freeform ships utilizing the original assets, without requiring modding of image files that a server may not necessarily support or be able to transfer.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Forum Bot

what happens if you fall out of your ship?

9. That Lamer

That Lamer Big Damn Hero

You hit the bottom of the buildable zone and stand on it as if it were ground. Likewise any materials you drop land down there until you retrieve them or they disappear.

10. Steglad

Steglad Void-Bound Voyager

This mod is fantastic!
    Ladies and gentlemen, fishfolk, botanicals, mechanicals and humanoids of all shapes and sizes! I present to you. Ssserenity, a Floranfly-class ship. It's a work in progress but I think this is as far as I'll go before the wipe.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  11. nerdofcolor

nerdofcolor Star Wrangler

I'm loving your plantly ship Finn. It's mathematical. I meant to post my ship here but accidentally put it in a show us your ship thread or something like that. This mod is the best. Gonna make a living creature lookin' ship eventually but until I troll around in my D-tank.
    [​IMG]

skulledrebel and Rik like this.
  12. ForceablePlace

ForceablePlace Phantasmal Quasar

Dude, thats amazing... And whats best is that it can be brought to multiplayer! :D

13. ForceablePlace

ForceablePlace Phantasmal Quasar

Hey, when they update the game, will you update this mod if you need to?

And is there anyway to have the Characters ship there AND the are outside to be built on? (Like a hole in the roof, so we can have both) probably not easily...

and my last question is, how did you edit that file? what decompiler did you use? since if you just open it, its full of gibberish black boxes and stuff lol its just since i would like to edit stuff, but have no idea how to mod Starbound's ships at this moment lol

14. Steglad

I agree, bringing it into multiplayer is the best part about it! Even more so if your friends haven't heard about the mod and the reactions they have when beaming abord your brand spanking new ship! :D

15. GoldenstarArtist

GoldenstarArtist Cosmic Narwhal

quick question... does this work in muiltiplayer?

16. 24well24

24well24 Space Hobo

I wish to see this mod as default in-game ship....something like you have default ship but if you want to build your own, it just became invicible/inactive....

Just wonder to know, how about ask Devs to change ship models in such way as realised in this mod? In my opinion, building own ship is much interesting, and if devs add a couple of craftable ship parts, the Starbound will be 125% of pure awesomeness(100% by default + 25% by this mod). I even registered only to say that. Thank you for such awesome idea^_^

and sorry for possible mistakes, English isn't my primary one:)

17. Steglad

Yes it does and everyone can visit your custom ship just as if it was the vanilla ship!

18. GoldenstarArtist

my second question would be... If someone stole like your captains chair.. you'd be trapped forever on one planet.. right?

19. nerdofcolor

nerdofcolor Star Wrangler

Nope you can back your ship up basically duping all the items.

20. GoldenstarArtist

Alright then, this needs to me a thing in starbound now :D