1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

BUG: only 1 tech can be used at once. even if +2 are equipped

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by jambox5, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Jonuts

Jonuts Space Hobo

See. THAT'S a good answer. I wanted to whine and complain about the tech limit (I have a dash and pulse jump), but decided to look it up. When you have a dash and double-jump, being limited to just one is...annoying. When you have all THAT, it suddenly makes far more sense.

2. LuckyRare

LuckyRare Phantasmal Quasar

Pfftt Mods. The butterfly tech is already doing everything=Dash forward/Jump higher, fly UPWARDS/Forward over stuff. Meaning you don't even need other Techs.

3. Kashou

Kashou Subatomic Cosmonaut

In what way exactly does it cause any kind of imbalance? The only thing it does is allow you to move a little better, it's hardly even useful in combat as it is except for like dashing away from projectiles. Flying constantly if anything is imbalanced. Like what is it going to cause imbalance against? Those oh so hard hills that you have to climb? Oh man having to open the inventory to swap from dash to pulse jump to get up that cliff thats a little too high is such a challenge.

4. Daj

Daj Big Damn Hero

I see no reason to pulse jump.
    Gravity Ball OP. I also like dash, but infini-flight is so much more useful when every creature one-shots you.

I think we should be able to use multiple techs, but prevent stacking similar techs by grouping them into types and only allowing one per type.

5. Eruend

Eruend Void-Bound Voyager

In all honesty, I really don't think that trying to balance a game by limiting features is a wise decision. The most important factor about a game is not balance. It's fun factor.

Balance does play a large part in providing fun, as it imposes a challenge that keeps players hooked, but all things need to be done in moderation. Too much balancing will leave any game stale and overly-simplistic. Limiting the player's options, which in turn takes away from the fun factor.

With all that said, I personally feel that limiting active techs to 1 is excessively limiting to this type of game. First off: combining techs is not OP. Case in point; targeted blink breaks any semblance of balance on its own whereas the morph ball holds little to no actual practical aplication. Combining them may not seem logical to some, but it isn't up to players who don't want to use something to decide how these things SHOULD be used. There is no should and shouldn't in a sandbox game that will live off of player creativity. If the game was strictly PvP, then it would be more of an issue. So stop treating this game as PvP already. If the player is overpowered, make the world around him capable of dealing with it. In this game, such tweaks aren't so hard to make, and actually open up possibilities to more interesting content. Just think of the Megaman game progression: Megaman was cool, but then in the X series, they added wall jumping and improved the dash mechanic (switched from the ground slide). These two changes made the characters more powerful, but the game could aford to make more interesting levels and bosses thanks to that. Then the Megaman Zero series further exploited this, realising they could take it a step further and so on.

What I DO understand, however, is that implementing multiple similar effects could be problematic to the system, such as the previously stated example: Targeted Blink and the Morph Ball. They both require the use of the action key "F" to activate, causing conflict. Such an issue could be fixed by dividing techs into categories and specifying that a player can not run multiple techs of the same category, unless it states otherwise. A simple method would be to color code them. Like blue being passive techs, green being active techs (requireing the use of the action key) and red being unique passive techs (passives that would not be stackeable due to similarities causing conflicts)

Since a player can only carry 4 techs at a time and that they are limited by the energy pool, there is no reason to impose further limits simply for balancing reasons. With these two limits alone, resource management will remain an important factor and customisation will actually be MORE present in a player's choices.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    Sonic Chaos 13, agaruna and Zero115 like this.
  6. Sadron

Sadron Ketchup Robot

Make it so you can't use certain techs together instead, since that'd eliminate the same-key problem.

agaruna and Zero115 like this.
  7. Kashou

Tech inputs could be solved by for example morph ball activation being S+F (crouch+tech key) and blink just being the F key. Pulse jump + Bubble could work like cloud+rocket boots in terraria, that double jump comes out first, and the next key press lets you bubble. I think it's quite possible to work in without imposing tech groups. But if they are planning on adding so many techs that they will overlap I don't really have a problem with groupings as long as I can use all 4 at the same time.

Sonic Chaos 13 likes this.
  8. Oroblram

Oroblram Lucky Number 13

I absolutely completely and utterly disagree that having all 4 working at once would be too powerful. In terraria it was a blast to get a whole lot of movement items. Double jump, rocket boots, flying carpet and grapnel for the win.
    Currently there is no need for others because once you get pulse jump that will be the one you use all the time. No one is going to go, oh wait i can make that gap jump if i put on my dash, lets open inventory put on dash. Ok i made it lets open up inventory and put back on pulse jump. Dash will never be used over pulse jump currently.

I have had no other techs, but whichever tech i find the most useful will be used primarily throughout the game because I am not one to spend time going to inventory just to switch one out for a moment.

At the very least we need hot keys to activate which we want to use. But the best answer is to let us use them all at once.

agaruna likes this.
  9. Kashou

I agree that swapping to pulse jump is pretty pointless. I mean I use dash constantly. It's way easier to just have some dirt to toss out on the ground to jump on. Dash is way better at breaking falls too. BUT I would rather have dash AND pulse jump to be able to hop up those just-too-high cliffs instead of having to pull out dirt.

10. Eruend

Thing is, you guys are forgetting one important point: The techs that currently exist are NOT the only techs that will be available in the future.

Do you REALLY want to be constrained to one tech at a time when other goodies pop up?

edit: And Targeted Blink is easily THE most broken tech in the game atm. Can go around a world without ever touching ground with it. Great tool to dodge creatures and snipe away too. No pit-fall is too deep for me to blink out of and fall damage is just as easy to negate as with dash, without actually dashing. It's faster then dash too.

agaruna likes this.
  11. Eruend

Stop it with the OP assessements. It's a trap.

What does anyone lose by having op combos in this game? That's the question that should be asked.

12. Kashou

I really don't think any combinations could be OP. That would only apply if some didn't cost energy like they do now. Fat chance that will stay the same though.

13. Machai

Machai Void-Bound Voyager

Being able to switch using hotkeys and having a short cooldown on switching (~5 secs) would be very nice.

14. Zero115

Zero115 Space Spelunker

All I'm going to say is I think being limited to one tech at a time UNIVERSALLY, feels broken to me, there is no reason I should have to take the time to open my inventory to switch so I can dash instead of double jump, I could have walked the distance or as someone stated earlier, built a small tower. And I see no reason these two techs can't be used together.

agaruna likes this.
  15. Kashou

Still, there is no reason to resort to switching or cooldowns because that would be the same as having them all except shittier and less fun in every way. I could still dash and double jump pretty much every time i jump, or dash into gravity bubble to fly really quickly. Makes no sense for these restrictions.

16. RobertRevenge

RobertRevenge Pangalactic Porcupine

Given that Terraria provided the inspiration for Techs, and there are multifunction accessories, this is very possible.
    Remember people, all we've got access to is a very incomplete 1/3 of the game.

17. Kashou

Well yeah, but that's also why we can only comment and discuss what we have access too.

agaruna likes this.
  18. Darkhenge

Darkhenge Void-Bound Voyager

The thing is, with the energy consumption as it is now it barley limits the player. I mean I have targeted blink and I can easily go into space and have more than half of my energy bar filled. What's up with that? Other than that, I too also second a "switch tech on the fly" option.

19. RobertRevenge

RobertRevenge Pangalactic Porcupine

20. Oroblram

Oroblram Lucky Number 13

Ok, it matters not what your preference is, The whole point of the conversation is, you are using one tech over the other. You cannot use both. And should we be able to use more than 1?

You are criticizing my post for my thinking that people prefer jumping over dash??? I don't care what other people prefer. You can prefer anything, the problem is we have to prefer something over the other because we cannot easily use the others at the same time.

The point was that we should be able to use all techs at once. Therefore we are not stuck using the one we prefer and only that one. Which in a nutshell is what you are doing when you equip dash, and have to place blocks to jump even though you have the ability to jump higher, but it is not convenient for you to do so because you are forced to switch out at the inventory screen.

agaruna likes this.