1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

BUG: only 1 tech can be used at once. even if +2 are equipped

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by jambox5, Dec 6, 2013.

1. jambox5

jambox5 Big Damn Hero

I was lucky enough to find double jump and light dash tech. BUT if Double jump is in the 1st slot and light dash is in the 2nd then light dash wont work. if I switch the order Double jump now doesnt work. It seems like you cant use multiple tech even though 4 can supposedly be equipped

XaoG likes this.
  2. Sykes

Sykes Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

That's not a bug. You can only have one tech active at any one time, but you can equip multiple tech and switch between them. In your inventory, click on the tech you want to use. You can switch between them on-planet in your inventory if you have more than one equipped.

If you could use multiple tech at once, it would make you far, far too powerful, so equipping more than one increases your versatility without making you overly powerful.

Orthus, PlayMp1, Erick648 and 3 others like this.
  3. shadeoftuna

shadeoftuna Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Honestly this feels like a bug too. Unfortunately it makes techs almost worthless - pulse jump is pretty much necessary for getting around so most people will have that on all the time. Since techs are basically accessories as long as the key input doesn't conflict I can't see why they wouldn't let people use all 4.

fadohacolu, Armin, XaoG and 9 others like this.
  4. Sykes

Flying, dashing, being a mech, and being able to turn into a morphball... At the same time...

You think that's balanced? The way it is is perfect, imo. I doubt you'll convince them to change it.

warulver, NightofError and sidriel like this.
  5. EnlightendDead

EnlightendDead Void-Bound Voyager

Its far from "perfect" whats the point of switching to dash when you need it to dodge if you have to open your inventory?
    Or switching to energy jump when you can just build a 1x1 tower faster.
    Imo they should, and i really hate saying this, do what terraria did and have them work like accessories, so they always provide bonuses weather or not they are "switched"

6. Twilightdusk

Twilightdusk Aquatic Astronaut

An alternative would be to make it obvious in the UI somewhere which tech is active, and be able to click it or use a hotkey to change techs

Gorno, sa_Spog, mewfan151 and 3 others like this.
  7. ry4444n

ry4444n Subatomic Cosmonaut

it would be balanced because they all require energy. the dash takes like a third of your energy, you wouldnt be ninja'ing around for long using 2 or 3 techs during a fight.

fadohacolu, Armin, agaruna and 7 others like this.
  8. XaoG

XaoG Ketchup Robot

Gonna have to mostly agree with this person. I can see putting a limit on how many you can have active at once, but one? Imagine what Super Metroid would have been like if they forced you to choose between whether you had the High Jump, Morph Ball or Screw Attack active. Yeah, not a good picture.

9. Zisi

Zisi Phantasmal Quasar

Ah but there are 10 tiers, and later techs might combine functionality.

Gunslinger likes this.
  10. GSGregory

GSGregory Ketchup Robot

They all use energy so you would be extremely limited in what you use and how but at the very least we need a quick switch because right now it is completely unintuitive to use.

Gorno, Armin, agaruna and 1 other person like this.
  11. Sykes

Point being this is not a bug. Start a new topic to suggest changes, but this thread should not be pushed to the top of the list because as of right now, it's intended functionality.

sidriel likes this.
  12. XaoG

XaoG Ketchup Robot

Nah, I think this thread is quite fine.

Vanishing likes this.
  13. Wyvern

Wyvern Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I agree. If we can only use one tech at a time, at least give us a small HUD element showing which one is equipped and give us a hotkey to cycle through equipped techs.

14. Vanishing

Vanishing Zero Gravity Genie

This is what I thought as well.

15. Hexerin

Hexerin Existential Complex

agreed. this tech issue is a major deal and needs to be addressed.

agaruna and LordVarius like this.
  16. HarleyD

HarleyD Space Spelunker

At the very least you should be able to switch between these powers on the fly, rather than stopping to open your inventory. Allow us to bind them to certain buttons or something so we can switch between them.

Gorno, PlayMp1, agaruna and 1 other person like this.
  17. Khyron42

Khyron42 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is broken enough to FEEL bugged to everyone who's ever joined my server. I second the motion to make energy the limiting factor, rather than an arbitrary 1-tech limit. If this make Mechs or Morphballs not make sense as a tech, they should get their own slot instead, or should disable other techs specifically (no dash with mech, or no rocket jump with pulse jump, etc.)

Thanatus, PlayMp1, Armin and 3 others like this.
  18. Freyon

Freyon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Second the "switch tech on the fly" option. Display our tech icons under the character status bar, with a blue highlight on the active tech and let us switch with hotkeys. F1-F4 seems fair. Bump "hide interface" to F5.

Gorno, Thanatus, thenarth and 3 others like this.
  19. HarleyD

HarleyD Space Spelunker

If these are supposed to be tech upgrades, why can't we have them all active at once? I mean they use energy, that enough should balance out the whole OP feeling of it all. You won't be able to really spam them.

20. Rakali

Rakali Aquatic Astronaut

Even if it's not considered a "bug", this should really be implemented. Especially if they use different key combinations. And even if they don't, there should be a way to chain them correctly. For example, the first jump is a normal jump, the second jump executes the pulse jump, and the third jump uses gravity ball. There's really no point in having 4 tech equip slots if you can only use one at a time. As others have said, energy drain should be the limiting factor here.

agaruna likes this.