1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Body Glow

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by barrible, Apr 18, 2014.

1. barrible

barrible Starship Captain

Anyone else get annoyed when they are trying to become invisible to friend there's still a tiny amount of glow on their body?
    That small white glow gives up your position.
    Anyone know how to take off all glow?
    Like a mod or a script?

2. RicochetOrange

RicochetOrange Subatomic Cosmonaut

I suppose. It's not really enough to be useful, though I don't play multiplayer.

3. I think the problem is that it's both not enough to be useful, and it's just enough to be a hindrance for people who are pvp'ing and using the element of surprise.

You could build a nice nook to hide in, but your position will always be given away by your body's weird inherent glow.

4. Blue

Blue Former Staff

I would assume it will most likely be removed when you go into an opposing team (when that stuff is added for PVP and all that is fleshed out more.)

Can't wait to see how they handle CTF and all that. :p

5. PseudoGold

PseudoGold Pangalactic Porcupine

I honestly don't get why that's even there. When racial abilities are added as well as the novakid, then it would make sense the novakids will glow. But the other races? That makes barely any biological sense.

Plus, it would be a bit more interesting to not have the glow, although you can get around it by saying that you can simply feel your way about.

6. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

There are not going to be racial abilities.

Finn Learson likes this.
  7. stumblinbear

stumblinbear Cosmic Narwhal

I think, the glow is a useless mechanic that is more of a hindrance than helpful. Suggested fix: Remove it. Or, make that specific glow client side only.

I guess nothing can "see" if in complete darkness. Sooo... Maybe only show that specific glow on the client side if, and only if, there is some sort if light within view of the player?

8. Bumber

Bumber Pangalactic Porcupine

They should make it disappear if you're crouching. If we could actually crouch-walk, then problem solved.

Blue likes this.
  9. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

I thought this was a spambot when I clicked on it to report. 'Body glow' Sounds a lot like some kind of skin care advertistment.

oceansRising likes this.
  10. oceansRising

oceansRising Pangalactic Porcupine

I like the glow but hey, it couldn't be that hard to make a script that blocks it.

11. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

Yeah that's what I was learning toward. Games that have invisibility usually have a small tell that allows other players to guess their location as long as they are looking specifically. Not sure the glow fits in to that category though considering there isn't much in the way of pvp mechanics just yet.

12. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

Invisible? What?

13. PseudoGold

PseudoGold Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, that's disappointing.

14. Scourger

Scourger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Idk, I can see it being a problem for some.

Here's a screenshot of my current Starbound character. I can see how they may have overdone it.

[​IMG]

15. DaMattGuy

DaMattGuy Space Spelunker

The natural "glow" is, from what I understand, supposed to represent the human eye's ability to still (barely) see when lighting is almost non-existent. I don't get why it's still there even when your current location would clearly not allow for any natural light.

Also yes, it being a visible glow is problematic for PvP.

16. stumblinbear

stumblinbear Cosmic Narwhal

Making the light purely client side would solve this issue entirely. :33

17. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

I had a problem with this a long time ago when I wanted to mess with my friend, I suggested there be an option to disable it, public, client, or non-existent
    this way you can hide from them, hide from your self, or lure them into a trap

18. ThePenguinNich

ThePenguinNich Big Damn Hero

I have yet to see anything like this, maybe it's because I've never sought after it. If someone could provide a screenshot that's be cool.