Blue Prints!

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by Codecdr, Jun 19, 2012.

?

Soo... BluePrints?

1. Nope, not at All

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  2. The Idea is good, Just needs some tweaking

17 vote(s)
    40.5%
  3. I love this

28 vote(s)
    66.7%
  4. I liked spore

14 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Codecdr

Codecdr Aquatic Astronaut

So I was thinking about how you can claim a planet as your own. Then I though about how you could have a bunch of people to join you and inhabit your planet. And i think.... Making all of those houses would be a bunch of work... Plopping down each piece in the same mannerism as Terraria, was honestly frustrating for me. So instead of creating each one of the houses one by one for all of your inhabitants you could instead make your own blueprint for your people. You could go into some sort of design mode and make a basic building structure. Then just plop it if you had enough of the materials in your inventory, or send down a construction bot that you already crafted to slowly start to put together the building while you go out and adventure so you can see your world gradually flourish. You could share your own blueprints to your friends and edit some that you find so you don't have to be a master builder to get that amazing building design that you see other people have. You also get to share your own buildings with friends or strangers. Like Spore (Yea remember that dinosaur?) did with its character creation. Unlike Spore, this game will not completely disappoint me. But anyways, Yea blueprints.

burthstone and Aer_ like this.
  2. LightHoof

LightHoof Pangalactic Porcupine

Good idea. These should be easily changeable for the reason of adaptation to most common materials of a planet, perhaps.

3. Jayne Cobb

Jayne Cobb Big Damn Hero

The blueprints being made slowly by a construction bot has actually already been suggested. I have mixed feelings, it would be nice but its not like you will have to build 100 buildings at once, it'll probably be more gradual.

4. DevilForce

DevilForce Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As long as you can build normally and with blueprints.

5. Codecdr

Codecdr Aquatic Astronaut

Yea you should be able to run around with blocks and such to help you traverse whatever planet you may be on.

6. ranmafan

ranmafan Big Damn Hero

Blueprints would be perfect. I could just lay down a custom prefab base with my favourite designs once enough materials are stored away somewhere.

7. Todem

Todem Scruffy Nerf-Herder

ranmafan likes this.
  8. ranmafan

ranmafan Big Damn Hero

These two ideas would work well together.

9. SproutDog

SproutDog Void-Bound Voyager

This and "Super Micro Assembling And Condesing Konstructor (SMAACK)" forum would be great! Even if they were small scale and slow building. Maybe you would have to physically build the whole first layer as a base (10-20 blocks)...or maybe not. Definitely for home planet building! :up:
    Big blueprints for home planet, smaller ones for random planets?

10. Casimir VanKrieg

Casimir VanKrieg Zero Gravity Genie

Maybe we shouldn't limit the blueprints to buildings. Everything that's man made should have blueprints: weapons, gear, machines, workstations, vehicles, suits, gadgets for the space station, things like that.

11. SproutDog

I believe we are associating the automated building creation process with the word "blueprint" because you (we) would have to map out what the structure requires from your own thought process and then translate it to a blueprint. The other things you have mentioned (Gear, Workstations) will probably have preset ingredients. We could could associate those with the word blueprint also, but I think "recipe" might be better because it is different to a certain degree...in which I assume is already in game, or am I wrong? I thought I read a snippet about there being crafting.

12. Lyiteangel

Lyiteangel Void-Bound Voyager

I don't know how things will work in the game with power/electricity, but perhaps putting a time limit on how long such a robot could work for without recharging would be a good idea. Also; adding something to restrict excessive use of blueprints, like requiring a recipe to create one and/or requiring particular materials for the blueprint alone and once the blueprint is used, it's destroyed. It's a pretty silly idea, but it should "balance" it's usage.

13. Thorden

Thorden Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Maybe if you build the structure yourself first, and then marked/scanned it with some kind of tool, which turned it into a blueprint? That would be much easier for the developers, so they didn't have to make a whole new GUI for people to make their blueprints, and the only thing you would need was a way to view them in your logbook?

Well if you are thinking about schematics for crafting the items yourself, that's already added to the game. An automated process for crafting wouldn't really be needed, as you can craft more than one sample of an item at a time(it goes up to 999)

14. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

... I'm sorry, but...

It... it just had to be done.

That said, I like the idea.

Thorden likes this.
  15. Casimir VanKrieg

Casimir VanKrieg Zero Gravity Genie

Well, I think I suggested this idea long time ago, when it probably wasn't in the game yet. Am I right?

16. The Thing

The Thing Existential Complex

This could work well using the list of building use for each races settlement. All races get the basic on of their races and can then find more by finding blueprints. And since the base and dungeon are also made from fixed piece placed together by the generator, this could work too by giving those block to use by the player (once again when blueprints are found). It cannot beat making the building yourself since you will be limited to what already exist but hey, you can simply place a whole city and base in a few minutes and then leave to let it be built.

17. FrozenFlame

FrozenFlame Giant Laser Beams

Pretty good pretty good. I liked the construction bot part, but I think mass plopping down houses is pretty weaksauce imo.

However Blueprints, WHEN EQUIPPED would pull up a grid on the world showing what type of block is needed at a specific cell.
    Just like the ruler in Terraria, the grid. Except it shows a opaque version of the actual blocks needed. You can click and drag the house to position it freely.
    That way you still have to manually build it, but not have to worry about specific positioning and memorizing the block type and position.

(those are my "tweaks" on your idea)

Other than that, approved....

18. SproutDog

Agreed.