Tutorial Basic Object Implementation: A Tutorial

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by mollygos, May 14, 2013.

1. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

1)But it does matter. Having a larger box for a smaller sprite will mean, for a vehicle for example, that a projectile that would miss from visual aspect could actually hit instead because of the extended hit box. Though this would be a fairly specific instance it could still happen with some custom bullets too.

2) I suppose that looks to be correct after I took another look at it.

Axe Garian likes this.
  2. NewLiar

NewLiar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Molly, you are just fantastic!
    More please!

Nedearb likes this.
  3. StarshiyLeytenant

StarshiyLeytenant Cosmic Narwhal

There is a modder badge already I believe

LastDay likes this.
  4. theferdi265

theferdi265 Starship Captain

Game is not even in Beta yet, yet there is a basic modding tutorial already on the forums. I wonder where that will go. EPIC MODDING TIME!!!

5. Alvin Flummox

Alvin Flummox Existential Complex

Also, info on how to input where and how items will appear in the game would be good for a tutorial. I presume you can choose places chests, enemy drops, or crafting recipes for items that you make? :)

6. Supergeek

Supergeek Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Assuming you can flag an object like, for example, IsWeapon, IsFood, IsPlant, IsArmor, or IsDecoration etc., and (in the case of armor) you can specify how those items attach to the model(s), and which races they fit (I'm guessing that you need a different graphic armor for each race)... I'm pretty excited to start modding.

Let's say I can create a Plant object that starts out as just a pod and has logic built in to bud into a separate object, an actual plant. It removes the pod and puts a plant with a shoot in its place. That shoot can randomly bud any of several types of flowers. The flowers can drop Seed objects when picked up/destroyed. Those seed objects, when inserted into dirt and provided with water and sunlight (or other environmental factors) can produce a pod, and start the whole process over.

Hopefully you could do fancy stuff like require darkness (cave plants) or low gravity (planet of origin was low gravity) or high temperatures (Lava Melon) or the presence of a specific kind of animal biome (Tiger Pee Flower) or make the plant wiggle randomly (Triffids) or dance when you play music (Groovy Gourd)...

Axe Garian and Morfessa like this.
  7. That's correct.

Axe Garian and LastDay like this.
  8. Aragaron

Aragaron Big Damn Hero

Yes please, do more of these! :DD

Axe Garian likes this.
  9. Not going to bother putting up a modding subforum until the game IS actually out. :p

Axe Garian and StarshiyLeytenant like this.
  10. Iroza

Iroza Phantasmal Quasar

Dear god... the modding seems rather simple !
    Lets hope people just have enough patience not to right away install mod packs premade before even playing the game :rolleyes:

*Edit* Since there ain't mod sub-forum yet, this should be made sticky eh ?

11. And you just invented the Wheel! :rofl:

Nice, thanks for that ^^

12. wataru

wataru Phantasmal Quasar

It just seems not very optimized and too redundant. I guess, it is legacy code, but why do the .object and .objitem files have same information repeated? What is the difference between these files?

Axe Garian likes this.
  13. backeby

backeby Big Damn Hero

Theoretically, If I were to make an item like this wheel and add it to my game, are there any server functions implemented that can distribute the item to the other players on the server?

14. Wesir

Wesir Void-Bound Voyager

amazing, please post more :rofl:

Axe Garian likes this.
  15. poofin

poofin Seal Broken

Two words: Metroid, Baby.

Necrovore and Supergeek like this.
  16. creepwolf

creepwolf Giant Laser Beams

[​IMG]

Looks like something I would be able to do:rofl:

17. Spacedino

Spacedino Ketchup Robot

I guess one is for the object placed in the world and one is for the Item that can be held in your Inventory or dropped to the ground.
    Making the placed object show different information can have some uses, I guess.

18. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

Is it this simple for monster object parts as well? Can we just say, keep adding animated headpieces and the like.. then with a few tweeks the game will just pickup the parts and you'll start seeing them in randomly generated monsters around the universe?

Axe Garian likes this.
  19. Przemek32767

Przemek32767 Phantasmal Quasar

Cool, a first insight into modding Starbound (sort of)! I hope the modding API will be well documented, because it looks like I'll be playing around with it a lot. :)

Axe Garian likes this.
  20. kreekgod

kreekgod Phantasmal Quasar

i like this, its informative and useful
    adding in objects also seems very intuitive as long as you know what to look for

i get the feeling this is actually something i might have been able to figure out on my own, with very little guidance (this is a good thing)

Axe Garian likes this.