Tutorial Basic Object Implementation: A Tutorial

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by mollygos, May 14, 2013.

1. Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon Space Kumquat

Welp, not sure I'll get a better answer here than in the Mod Help section, but I'll give it a shot: I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to animate the final growth form of a crop. I have the crop working perfectly - it grows as expected, drops the items I wanted it to, etc. but I can't figure out how to add a condition telling either the .object or .frames files to use frames 3-7 as an animation loop for the final growth form. I'm not even sure this is possible at this point... The best I could do for now was to set the frames intended for the animation as alternate final growth forms! n.nU

EDIT: Maybe some perspective into what mod I'm trying to animate will help (it can't hurt):

Floran Fly Trap
    [​IMG]

Granted that's a furniture-type object version I whipped up to make sure that the thing would actually animate properly in-game!

EDIT: Also, I kinda want to get my hands on the .pdf of this guide, but the link is dead. Does anyone have a mirror...?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    BotanicalCode likes this.
  2. Ulithium_Dragon

3. sarakcharizard

sarakcharizard Tentacle Wrangler

What application do you write the script up with? Thanks for the tutorial, and another question, can I do this on a macbook?

4. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Any plaintext editor at all, and yes.

5. sarakcharizard

sarakcharizard Tentacle Wrangler

Alright, thanks. I'll use Textedit, so If any other mac user does this, I would highly suggest this, I made a mod for this just like 1 hour ago and it's coming along nicely![DOUBLEPOST=1409392174][/DOUBLEPOST]Sorry about the double post, but.. Does this still work? My game crashes when I try this.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    Kawa likes this.
  6. Zizzy

Zizzy Void-Bound Voyager

This thread may be old but it's vital. is there a list to the sections like "category" example "category" : "light", does not appear to exist in the latest update what is it now?! how do you find out this type of information? where is it?

7. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

i'm having issues with a custom storage i'm making... anyone knows what i could be doing wrong, maybe?
    http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/custom-storage-please-help.121761/
    it's working. i can activate it. but i can't see it when i hold ALT, and i can't see it in-world when i place it on walls/celings/floors >.<
    i followed all steps in the tutorial, except for the last one (.objitem)... since that part in specific appears to be unfinished...?

8. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

@eksynn: this tutorial is too old. We haven't had objitem files for literally years. So perhaps your issue is in the area of orientations. What I'd do instead of following ancient tutorials, is find a vanilla object that comes close to what I want and edit a copy of it. This is about storage, so find a container and work from there, asking specific questions when you've edited all you need and get to adding things.

9. Ulithium_Dragon

It's not like there's a decent source of documentation on this crap though... Not when Chucklefish changes the the basic fundamentals of how shit works every single patch... =.=

10. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

that's pretty much what i did @Kawa xD i only barely followed this tutorial really
    most of my currently done 'work' was basically copypaste of the.. err.. holiday gift box thing.
    the object's in-game and working, i just can't see it when i hold it or place it in-world

hah no kidding xD it's a headache to try and find any guides that are anywhere near up-to-date lol

11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

@eksynn, I'm still thinking it's the orientations. Does the log file state anything?

12. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

a few errors o O nothing interesting about the mod anyway... here's the errors in the log if you wana read it =x
    Code:

[10:11:16.076] [Error] Could not load image asset '/objects/generic/wispstorage/wispstorage_bt.png:default', using placeholder default.
    (AssetException) No associated frames file found for image '/objects/generic/wispstorage/wispstorage_bt.png' while resolving image frame '/objects/generic/wispstorage/wispstorage_bt.png:default'
    [10:11:16.540] [Error] Could not load image asset '/objects/generic/wispstorage/wispstorage_bg.png:default', using placeholder default.
    (AssetException) No associated frames file found for image '/objects/generic/wispstorage/wispstorage_bg.png' while resolving image frame '/objects/generic/wispstorage/wispstorage_bg.png:default'
    [10:11:16.593] [Error] Could not load image asset '/objects/generic/wispstorage/wispstorage_lt.png:default', using placeholder default.
    (AssetException) No associated frames file found for image '/objects/generic/wispstorage/wispstorage_lt.png' while resolving image frame '/objects/generic/wispstorage/wispstorage_lt.png:default'
    [10:11:16.749] [Error] Could not load image asset '/objects/generic/wispstorage/wispstorage_rt.png:default', using placeholder default.
    (AssetException) No associated frames file found for image '/objects/generic/wispstorage/wispstorage_rt.png' while resolving image frame '/objects/generic/wispstorage/wispstorage_rt.png:default'
    [/COLOR]
    [/spoiler]
    the files it says it can't load are in the right folder too
    http://prntscr.com/c32qqb
    maybe it's a matter of image dimensions...?

13. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Does whipstorage.frames contain a "default" frame? If yes, rename the file default.frames and try again.

14. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

i managed to fix it ^^ the animation wasn't working because i didn't have a .<frames> thing for each position, but i have no idea why it kept crashing
    now i just need to figure out how to make it stop dropping the stuff it's supposed to carry for me when it breaks..
    xD