1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Avians are too op :(

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Asekk, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Asekk

Asekk Space Hobo

Avians are kinda birds, and apparently in starbound 1.0 they will be able to fly... Nightly footage:
    (sry for low fps, wooden pc)

It's not fair for other races :( . What do you think???

2. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Uh that's a bug you know

Serenity likes this.
  3. yclatious

yclatious Guest

:geek::coffee:

Welp, time to get my Flametrower, SBC needs some chicken!

The | Suit and Serenity like this.
  4. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

The grounded can fly? It's a miracle!

Zebe, yclatious and Serenity like this.
  5. Juice Box

Juice Box Pangalactic Porcupine

Juice Box thought they just kinda glided, wasn't only tier 10 stuff flying?

Serenity likes this.
  6. Feathery Dust

I'm pretty sure you can't fly at all, at least not in the stable builds.

Serenity likes this.
  7. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Firstly, I think Avians can glide, not fly. Secondly, each race will have their own ability, which they get from their racial armor. If a Hylotl wears Avian armor, they can glide as well. Whereas if an Avian wears Hylotl armor, they can stay underwater for longer. Thirdly, the only true racial ability planned is the Novakid, who will glow regardless of whether or not they are wearing their racial armor.

Also, that video isn't very helpful. It's just showing an NPC glitching out.

Vsuchinoko and Serenity like this.
  8. CaptThad

CaptThad Pangalactic Porcupine

An NPC glitching out? You mean my Apex chef wasn't floating around my ship's crew quarters on account of all the weird alien foods I make him eat? ;)

Feathery Dust and Jonesy like this.
  9. Feathery Dust

I don't think the video was supposed to be helpful, just showing that the Avians are "OP" which is really just a glitch.
    He just didn't know that.

Serenity likes this.
  10. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

Is that really overpowered? I can do the same thing currently with bubble burst.

Besides, the video doesn't show real "flying". And I doubt players can do that.

11. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Avians op, pls nerf

It's clear that's just a glitch, but there's a tech that lets you do the same exact thing. Its name is Hover, Gravity Neutralizer or something along those lines. It's useful when you need to stay stationary in mid-air when building.

12. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Also bubble and butterfyl boost tech

Serenity and Zebe like this.
  13. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Of course, but they're a bit different from the Hover tech. With bubble/butterfly it's pretty hard to stay on one place in the air. Hover tech stops all vertical movement.

Serenity likes this.
  14. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

You can however fly in a perfect straight line like the avian in the video :p

Serenity and Zebe like this.
  15. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

With butterfly/bubble? Yeah, true. Moving in straight line works with all of em.

Serenity likes this.
  16. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Plz nerf plox even though the bonuses are only in the armor which any race can wear, then again birds are op in general because they are freaking dinosaurs :metroid:

Feathery Dust likes this.
  17. Feathery Dust

Fun fact: Dinosaurs taste like chicken (not exactly the same but yes). It's a scientific fact.

Owl_Stalker and Serenity like this.
  18. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Does that mean chickens are dinosaurs?

Dust and Serenity like this.
  19. Feathery Dust

Birds evolved from Dinosaurs, so yes. If you could call the evolution, more like de-voluion if you ask me.

Serenity likes this.
  20. LongChan

LongChan Cosmic Narwhal

I want to think that the OP came up with this idea just for fun, because the NPC in the video is obviously glitched (and it reminds me of some weird Megaman 1 glitches, where you jumped just before entering the boss and your character would go through the door by hovering). What I'm pretty sure about is that I wouldn't like Starbound to become a nerf-fest. Some of the worst features in games like Terraria or Minecraft derived from the fact that some people wanted something nerfed, no matter what.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014