1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Avali race...?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by CozierTim, Jan 27, 2015.

1. CozierTim

CozierTim Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Am I the only person who thinks that they should try adding the Avali race into the race list for the game...I really loved the race and I REALLY think that they need to be a race in the normal games and not just a mod...

R_C_A^ and Subaru7 like this.
  2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I seem to recall there being some sort of legal aspect. The Avali (or whatever race I'm thinking of) was originally a Spore creation, so either the original creators (or even EA) own the rights to it.

RavenX likes this.
  3. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

It is not going to happen and this was agreed upon by both the maker of the mod AND CF. So stop asking for it

Yzzey likes this.
  4. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

You are certainly not the only person to think this. Many, many threads of yore say otherwise. It probably won't happen, but it IS a very nice mod.

5. Benanator

Benanator Phantasmal Quasar

6. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/c...t_done_one_of_these_in_a_while_ask_me/ci83ejb

They existed before Spore in principle. As much as Electronics Arts tries to be the legal anti-christ, they have no rights over anything recreated in their game. At this point practically everything that has ever existed - from Pokémon to Star Wars, has been recreated in Spore; if it's appearance in Spore transferred property rights to EA, then they own almost every intellectual property that has ever been conceived ;)

The | Suit and Model QT-377665 like this.
  7. RavenX

RavenX Scruffy Nerf-Herder

According to the Spore EULA any creations made in the game are legal property of EA and not the players who created them. Basically it's them saying "You're creature was made in Our Game, out of Our Assets, so technically it's Ours.".

8. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Thats only true when the creation originates in spore. If its origin is from before spore and just recreated in spore then EA go burn (as long as you dont do something stupid like reusing EA's assets).

9. Benanator

Benanator Phantasmal Quasar

It means they just own all the Spore parts. Lets say you make, I dunno, Kirby in Spore. They don't own Nintendo's Kirby, they own the creature you created from Spore Parts. If you also named that creature "Kirby" then they own the spore creature "Kirby", but that still wouldn't be Nintendo's Kirby. As long as you don't use Spore parts theres nothing EA can do about it.

10. RavenX

RavenX Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah that's true. If you manage to recreate Mario in Spore, Mario is still owned by Nintendo. I was just pointing out you can't make something original in Spore and then legally still call it yours. Just like when you post a picture to Facebook, in their EULA they now own that picture of you and can even use it in their advertising and not pay you if they don't want to. I doubt they'd use a person's pic and not pay them at least something though as that would be some really bad press for them if they didn't. Technically though once you put a pic on Facebook you don't own it anymore, they do.

11. TheLoneGamer

TheLoneGamer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As much as I like them, they are simply too different from the rest of the races to fit in. I think the biggest issue is that most of the clothes wouldn't fit on them. Sure the mod itself has outfits for you to put in your visual slot to get around this, but that still leaves the issue of any random outfits that you find not correctly fitting your character. That sort of thing just wouldn't work for something official.

Darklight likes this.
  12. Subaru7

Subaru7 Void-Bound Voyager

People ask this on occasion, I did as well, i still think they should do it even with a lil extra effort. My favorite race shouldnt be a mod lol.

13. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

WE can't all get what we want. Just accept it and move on.

14. Helena Vinelash

Helena Vinelash Big Damn Hero

Rename the race, sslightly change two bitss of it and there we go?

15. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Or just keep using the mod and be done with it

16. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Maaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhd.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhd.

17. Helena Vinelash

Helena Vinelash Big Damn Hero

Hahaha, wass worth a try

18. FoggyPaws

FoggyPaws Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't think the Avali would be that good anyways, all of the clothes you find in the world wouldn't work with them :(

19. Cobalt Lightning

Cobalt Lightning Existential Complex

The Avali were highlighted in one of the newsletters few months back, and is still the most downloaded and used Race Mod in Starbound.

While it would be nice and get some smiles form the community, the legal issues it would bring outweigh the benefits. Sadly, a recommendation will simply have to suffices. Y'know, from the PEOPLE THAT MADE THE GAME, and they're the one's telling you "THIS IS A PRETTY GOOD MOD, YOU SHOULD TOTALLY USE IT, WE LOVE IT."

I would drone on, but Foggy's avatar is going to make me fall asleep by the time I finish my next post.

20. Azereiah

Azereiah Scruffy Nerf-Herder

EULAs do not have any legal standing beyond the license for the game.

Basically, the only thing they'd legally be able to do is bar you from getting a license to use Spore products if you use something they claimed was theirs.

"Legal" issues, you mean. They can claim copyright, but there's no chance in hell they would win a lawsuit over it. It's like a DeWalt claiming ownership over every house made with their power drills or something. Problem is just that Chucklefish is too small, or has too little time on their hands to bother with provoking them then suing for damages.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015