automatic turrets

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by stakeout, Jun 24, 2013.

1. stakeout

stakeout Title Not Found

Like i said not being able to use them in pvp(wont target players)... or they can have a setup time, (take a bit to get ready) like the generator idea. It should not be that hard to make them not that overpowered look at the sentry turret in team fortress 2 for example it has a set up time and you can only build one. Now if you going to attack someone that has a turret by there house chances are that you have sum good gear(like a missile launcher) but if not and you just started then avoid it like in a real life situation(there well be no spawn killing because you spawn in your ship). I think it would be fun plus its a 2D game so they really cant spam them to bad sense you'd probably need a flat surface to place it on. (If they do take up more then one block)

2. stakeout

stakeout Title Not Found

Raids would be way more irritating then turrets because you lose all your hard work but with turrets it just stops things from getting somewhere. Players are smarter then A.I so you can out maneuver them. Maybe make an EMP?

pikachu junior and Starsly like this.
  3. PurpleHamsta43

PurpleHamsta43 Star Wrangler

An EMP grenade of sum sort

stakeout likes this.
  4. nikey9

nikey9 Void-Bound Voyager

OR, why not make the turret a ridable thing. You could sit in there and smash enemies by pressing the attack button. (It would be stationary of course)
    Or (even better idea incoming) you could build a vehicle in which you can run around and stuff -that kind of thing- and when you see an enemy, BAM! Transform into a stationary turret and show that thing who's boss! :DD

Starsly and stakeout like this.
  5. stakeout

stakeout Title Not Found

Sounds epic you should make that into a suggestion. :up:

6. Maxkottchen

Maxkottchen Master Chief

You only have to siege them. Until they run out of fuel ,they cant use their turrets. When they want to get more fuel they have to get outside. There you can attack them without their turrets.

Starsly and stakeout like this.
  7. Ruban Crusade

Ruban Crusade Pangalactic Porcupine

That's one option. Get creative. Build small walls to hide behind an chuck the newly mentioned bombs at the turrets. Use monsters as diversions. I know I've seen several people who think blocks like auto turrets should have a limit to x num per planet or something like that, so that could make it more even. Also, with energy and fuel being a factor, you could just force down their resources by peaking up over a wall repeatedly until the turrets are ineffective. Or try using turrets to fight turrets. If it requires much in the way of resources, your opponents won't be able to use many very effectively in the first place. And it's amazing how damaging "digging" can be...

stakeout and PurpleHamsta43 like this.
  8. Fast_Eddie_2

Fast_Eddie_2 Star Wrangler

That's one option. Fly (or drop) in is another. Or take the time to fight them to get in. Raiding another persons base should not be a simple 'walk in, take stuff, leave' activity, but rather take a bit of time to plan and then equip item to either fight in past the turretts or evade the turretts.
    Yeah, maybe if a person has 50 turrett's that would be a little ridiculous trying to get into. But i think it could be fair and balanced if the cost for doing so is very high.

For example, suppose mining resources for and then building a generator takes about 1 hour of time, and can only power three turrets. To get a highly effective network of say, 20 turretts, you need 7 generators. That's 7 hours to set up. Not including the cost of the turretts themselves. Plus, they need to be wired up and an attacker could potentially use some item to cut said wire and depower the turrett.

I believe that there is a place for automated turretts in Starbound. But i'm glad you're helping sortout the potential problems :)

9. stakeout

stakeout Title Not Found

There should be tons of ways to combat turrets. mechs , buffs (like bullet resistance or something) i think they use syringes not potions? missiles , rockets, grenades , make them shoot each other,flying (depending on there turn speed), shoot them tell they don't shoot you anymore, using your pet as a meat shied (joking or em i?), telling your friend there's food there, call a zombie army (doubt this well be in game), hover biking... that made me think of racing in starbound. sooo yeah

10. SproutDog

SproutDog Void-Bound Voyager

If you can have a pet next to you fighting with you then a turret shouldn't take away from the game at all. If the devs tell the enemies to treat it as they treat the pet then it would be a fairly strategic thing to have. Maybe you can't have a pet out with it at the same time. I believe Tiy said there would eventually be enough circuitry in the game for a home defense system of some sort. So maybe that will take the place of this idea, if it really is different at all.

Axe Garian and pikachu junior like this.
  11. Ruban Crusade

Is there a link or something you could provide? I understand if you can't find it, I'm just curious...

Axe Garian likes this.
  12. SproutDog

So I couldn't find the actual place where I read it. It was a Q&A with Tiy on IRC. I DID manage to find the following which sort of proves I read something like that (sort of but not really). I'm not good at searching the forums for things I've previously found. I'm pretty sure he used the words "home" "security" "defense". Either that or someone asked him if it was possible and he said yes or it will be.

A: Right now wires are about connecting a trigger to an output, and some funky stuff in between for more advanced wiring. In terms of electricity/generators being required/wired up to electrical objects to make them run.. We've been discussing it, it's not hard to implement. We're worried it would alienate some players in terms of difficulty. Perhaps we'll add it as an optional mode post release.

So as long as a weapon could be wired at all (or weapon system), then you could at least use pressure plates outside of your home and...pew pew pew.

Source:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/tiys-irc-q-a.14318/
    Click "show spoiler"

Ruban Crusade likes this.
  13. Ruban Crusade

Cool, thanks for finding that!

SproutDog likes this.
  14. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I really hope they do add automatic turrets to the game. I want to say things like "Buildin' a sentry." and "Sentry gun, going up!" over VOIP in my best Texan accent. Maybe even "Now jus' stop tryin' to mess with mah contraptions." whenever a mob gets killed by a turret.

15. SproutDog

I found this too! Its still not what I tried quoting, but puts us almost there. We just need him to say "gun". Even though I guess it doesn't have to be a gun.

______________________________________________________________________________
    Will we be able to build a large variety of traps and such with the wiring system?

[​IMG]That's the plan, at some point I want to give you guys proximity sensors, pressure pads, things like that and allow you to wire them up to all sorts of dangerous things.​
    ______________________________________________________________________________​

Axe Garian and Ruban Crusade like this.
  16. SpaceHyena

SpaceHyena Zero Gravity Genie

I like the amount of humor on this thread :D . But to be honest turrents would be very overpowered, and even if they would be weak, I dont think that monster would necesarily want to break into your house and kill you rather than wander around and eat grass (or other animals). Besides, this is a very lazy solution, i think making traps as simple as a pressure plate connected to a skull firing an arrow (where do I know that from xD) is way more creative and fun. Im not saying its a BAD idea since all ideas are good but I do not think its anyhow necessary. If your base in starbound will be so heavily attacked by monster around that you would need turrets... it would be kinda... crappy. However this idea could be easily improved, such as adding stationary turrents that you would have to enter like a vechicle. Then aim manually and shoot. There could be aslo different ammo types such as explosive or incindary (blah idk how to spell that). If you would put more detail than a single line I think your thread would be much better. ;)

17. SproutDog

There will be many hostile monsters in the game. If you agro too many that are above your level, there's no way 1 turret would be op, even with a pet. And if you have to go into your home to escape, I wouldn't want them following me in. That's what happened in terraria and that aspect will be somewhat similar in SB. We really don't know all of the monster behaviors yet. Some may be able to open a door or blow a hole through wood. Don't forget about PvP or capture the flag tourneys.

Axe Garian and pikachu junior like this.
  18. stakeout

stakeout Title Not Found

yeah I found myself trying to make a dirt trap into so sort of home defense did not really work out well Because of my world turning to hard mode right after doing it...(uhh i wounder what game I em talking about?) I don't know about the OP thing your talking about, that your not killing the monsters so its OP... sooo people well just think its being lazy which i really don't understand if you can make something that amazing your not "lazy". Think of pets if you use them are you lazy?... Be creative you all ways want more ways of doing things. If using things that you made that do work for you is not your thing then don't do it(no one well make you use them so don't worry about that). That's what games like this are about, creativity, doing what you want to do and yeah sorry the thread is short

19. pikachu junior

pikachu junior Master Chief

your comment gives me the impression that you've never even played Terraria..... :chucklefish: basically all zombies do in there short life is try to break into your house and kill you... plus turrets would help a lot when the zombies :zombie: spam your door. :) [​IMG]

SproutDog, stakeout and Starsly like this.
  20. Ruban Crusade

Did you know that Zombies cannot break down doors that are 2 blocks above the ground they stand on? This makes it easy to keep them out ~_^

Axe Garian likes this.