1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Arrows Not Doing Anything

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TheOverWhelming, Dec 11, 2013.

1. TheOverWhelming

TheOverWhelming Tentacle Wrangler

Occasionally, arrows do not do any damage
    And yes, it is somewhat charged when I release the arrow
    No, i don't get hurt before it happens

I notice it sometimes when i release an arrow and, during the time between when I launch the arrow and 'hit' the enemy the enemy changes states (passive -> normal [neutral monsters] or bored -> aggressive [mean monsters])

I checked the first page and didn't see anything about this

2. Raybrandt

Raybrandt Jackpot!

Singleplayer or Multiplayer? Multiplayer might be due to latency issues. Singleplayer? Not really sure.

3. Maahes

Maahes Starship Captain

Might wanna put it in bug reports.

4. Neffzwei

Neffzwei Phantasmal Quasar

I've experienced this as well, though only in MP, so I assumed it was a small desync between client on server. Client side, my arrow hit, but server side, the bird was in a different position.

5. TheOverWhelming

Single Player
    it happened again, this time at point blank range (release before I took damage), similar to how guns dont hit you if you are close enough to the firing individual but the bullet still goes. However, the arrow disappeared
    The thread?

6. Reon

Reon Phantasmal Quasar

I've noticed this, but I think it's because the hit boxes on some enemies are off. Weapons will pass harmlessly through the edges of their sprites. This is especially bad on very small land creatures, as the phantom area seems as large as on larger creatures, but there's less in the middle.

7. TheOverWhelming

This happens with the arrow being consumed

8. Hashiba

Hashiba Void-Bound Voyager

I have been seeing this issue as well, but I have not had time to make sure there is a bug report.

For me, I can occasionally see my arrow disappear mid-flight, with no objects at all anywhere near the path. Not having an arrow do damage is most likely just the wonky hit-boxes.

9. TheOverWhelming

How can it be hitbox being oddly sized if the arrow is also consumed when it should hit the target? I purposely aim for where the hitboxes since I do occasionally miss the hitbox (the arrow is not consumed in this process)
    However, if an arrow hits where the hitbox should be and is not consumed (or just flat out disappears altogether doing no damage) there is a problem

10. Sowaka

Sowaka Phantasmal Quasar

I've had this as well. I'll hit the bird on my screen and the arrow will disappear, but no damage will be applies to the mob. MP but on my own server.

11. Poteto

Poteto Void-Bound Voyager

This happens all the time in multiplayer to me, and has been the cause of multiple deaths.

12. Hashiba

Hashiba Void-Bound Voyager

I am not stating that this issue is due to hitboxes. Wonky hitboxes are a whole seperate issue. My post might not have been that clear.

Having arrows vanish is the issue I have. Often, they don't come anywhere near the mob before they do.

13. DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Confirmed for me as well. It was weird, as if there was an invisible shield between myself and the mob, the arrow just plunk, no damage. no arrow. Very strange. Glad I'm not the only one.

14. TheOverWhelming

Ahh, it sounded like you were sort-of-suggesting that the incorrectly shaped hitboxes (that are the monster's 'collision') were causing the arrow to miss (as others suggested). Good to clear that up

My arrows never disappear mid air is the difference I'm having. They always disappear at the monster or a moment before (hard to observe it since it feels almost random)

15. BloodyRain2k

BloodyRain2k Pangalactic Porcupine

I had this bug already a few times too in singleplayer.
    I shot the arrow off and would've hit the monster and the arrow did disappear but no damage was done.
    Often it looked like the arrow was maybe 3 pixel away from the monster when it disappeared and the monster was in motion, most of these dud shots were at monsters moving through the air, so birds or jumping ones.

Nothing's worse than doing a great charged shot at a moving enemy and hitting him in the motion and then the shot doing no damage : (

(also remove bow energy usage, like really remove it, it's stupid)