1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you happy with the development speed? [Unofficial Poll]

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Morsus98, Sep 22, 2014.

?

Are you happy with the speed at which Starbound is being developed and updated?

1. Yes

28.6%
  2. No

36.8%
  3. Kind of

14.1%
  4. Not really

13.8%
  5. Don't know / Don't care

6.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I took the liberty of adding in additional options into the poll.

I'm voting Don't Know / Don't Care. I don't care about the development time. I posted in another thread about this feeling before; I have plenty of life to occupy my time, so development speed can take ages or weeks for all I care -- it doesn't impact my life in any way shape or form.

On an additional note; this topic is a good thread to toss in your 2 cents about how you feel about development speed. So let's not have a mass derail and treat everyone with a bit of respect.

Dust, Serenity and Tamorr like this.
  2. janusforbeare

janusforbeare Phantasmal Quasar

The issue is that many of the people complaining about the wait haven't the slightest idea how slowly things often move in software development, particularly for new developers who have yet to work out an effective workflow or have all the necessary resources at their disposal (and ALL developers start out that way). These players make assumptions about what "reasonably timely" is, based primarily on how bored/annoyed they are, with no or little thought given to what is actually happening in the studio.

You want reasonably timely delivery? Great, so do I. A completed game by the end of Spring 2015 would be great. That's a reasonable timeframe, for anyone who's been following development closely and has read the to-do list posted on the CF blog.

R4B97 likes this.
  3. Slash23

Slash23 Void-Bound Voyager

• USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST (0 Points). Reason: Derailing. Expires: 1 Month
    After so many months of subscribe... the game is unchanged... a couple of quests, a lot of useless items... nothing to do in game

I feel like I donated 10€ in a kickstarter.com for a 2020 game

I dont recomend to buy it now

Splignarth, Pingeh and Flantomas like this.
  4. MrLevi

MrLevi Phantasmal Quasar

Go build a Ziggurat in the sky with downward facing turrets to wreck destruction on the unsuspecting citizens below.

I'll never understand how people can say there is nothing to do in a creative sandbox game.

KyPTeD likes this.
  5. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

I'm alright with it, I still find it enjoyable to play even with the lack of updates, so I'll certainly have at least 200 more hours played when 1.0 comes out :p

6. Slash23

Slash23 Void-Bound Voyager

Yes I can build a skyscraper for weeks... but I thought it was a different game with some multiplayer, a bit of pvp, some achievements, some challenges... this looks like a game for a 5 old boy with lego bricks

7. MrLevi

MrLevi Phantasmal Quasar

I'm 34 and legos are awesome. :headbanging:

CaptThad, Nutric, Tamorr and 6 others like this.
  8. RedScarWolf

RedScarWolf Spaceman Spiff

Why do that in Starbound when I can just do it in Terraria along with a crap ton of other content. Starbound stable currently brings nothing new to the table and the dailies are a broken mess. There is nothing to do in Starbound that we haven't already done before in games of the same genre. Granted, that's understandable for the amount of time that has been put into it, but I feel that 1.0 won't be all that different considering it's not actually going to be 'full release'.

9. Guys, please. I just asked that everyone to not derail this thread away from development speed.

Serenity likes this.
  10. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

i cast my vote before the options were changed

rip in piece

Serenity likes this.
  11. KyPTeD

KyPTeD Void-Bound Voyager

I really don't care, as long as they deliver what they said they would, what we suggest and even more. I prefer a slow development time, but a final good game, rather than pushing the title so it delivers the expected date and a buggy, non-playable game
    . And as some other people have said, I also have some other stuff that keep me busy while waiting: studies and other games.

I am very looking forward for the full release of the game and all the features that it will bring (I am handling myself so hard to not spoil myself getting into nightlies..:sparta:)

12. J-block

J-block Pay it Forward

At this point I'm just ignoring development news until I get that pleasant surprise hearing "It's out!"

RedScarWolf likes this.
  13. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Way to insert your own perspective on a perfectly viable poll. :down:
    There was no need for it.

Now all the folks that don't care can say they... well, don't care. Brilliant :facepalm:

The speed was bad before, but the nightlies show the speed of development now. The bottleneck seems to be the coding, and major system changes... but that is to be expected.

Silverforte and Splignarth like this.
  14. J-block

J-block Pay it Forward

It's not their own perspective, it was literally asked for in the thread.

That was exactly the point. It makes for a good poll to allow everyone to mention their opinions rather than having people just not vote.
    "Don't care" is a perfectly find poll options which both denotes a scale of opinion, and allows additional discussion.

15. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Am I happy now? Yep.
    Would I be happier if the perfect update were released today for me to download and play? Yep.
    Will the sun still rise tomorrow, even if the perfect update isn't tomorrow, and the next stable update also isn't tomorrow. I hope so!

Jbeetle likes this.
  16. yclatious

yclatious Guest

I had fun with Starbound, even in a placeholder progression, it caught my atention and I was desperate to get it, as I wanted it so much.

So far, I am kinda like Izzy, I quite like the game, and I quite like the comunity aswell, yet its speed doesent quite afect me.
    Sure, geting it before I turn 30 would be ideal, but so far, I feel it just dont matter, ya know?

:meh:

17. blazeti

blazeti Tentacle Wrangler

I voted no, because I'm looking at the whole development timeline (and not just "well, we're here now and I guess I'd rather wait for them to be finished properly instead of hurried").

I was one of the early backers that was given a 2013 deadline for completion, and honestly I've never gotten over that. There is a time and place for declarative statements, and words have to be chosen wisely. At this point it's just a constant sore point. I want the game to be finished, and I make it a point to check in every week or so, but each time I do I just feel an overwhelming sense of disappointment and roll my eyes as I leave the site.

makraiz and Splignarth like this.
  18. Tawrich

Tawrich Space Hobo

I fully understand this standpoint. I'm a fairly early backer myself and after waiting for ages for another actual update ( all the nightly updates just aggrevate me as a fellow developer ) i'm left dissappointed.
    Giving players on a near daily basis some half-assed update , with all bugs included , might have sounded like a good idea and i'm sure there are plenty off people out there playing them that really enjoy it , it also slows down the need to deliver an actual "stable" update. This in turn for me has left me with a sense that the development team no longer has any real deadlines to deliver updates/content and deviated from the original goals quite a bit.

I might be wrong , i can not see what goes on internally , but for myself i have lost faith in seeing a new update any time soon. And feel that like other games that have gone for a playable beta very early on you might be losing players before you even have a beta/demo up and running thats close to your originally intentions.

For me anyway it's come to the point where i'm no longer going to check up on progress and will see again in 3~6 months where its at then.

makraiz, Splignarth and blazeti like this.
  19. FDru

FDru Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't know. Because I don't know.

I don't see any mention of how development is coming on, new features added, screenshots, or anything. I know they have "nightly builds" but I have nfc what that entails, I haven't opted in and I'm not really interested in playing something that's utterly broken (as others have complained about) so I just haven't bothered checking that out. So I'm pretty much just in the dark.

But I guess they're doing something. I guess.

Splignarth likes this.
  20. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

rip in piece = rest in piece in piece???

Also, I don't care too much about the development time. I have plenty of other things to occupy myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.