1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone think that FPS sound effects would be cool in SB mob fights?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Arkitech, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Arkitech

Arkitech Pangalactic Porcupine

Just a random thought I had was that it might be cool to have an option that after 5 successive kills in a short time to have one of those FPS announcers yell things out. After 5 kills = awesome 8 kills = incredible 20 kills = godlike or something similar. I always thought that was a cool feature in FPS games.

2. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

No, that wouldn't fit the game's atmosphere in the slightest.
    If it was some shoot 'em up type of game sure but not Starbound.

Cloudhopper, Elate, yclatious and 5 others like this.
  3. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

It would destroy the atmosphere and it would be annoying too. If this should be added i would be the first one who mod it out x) Such things can be used as a mod on extreme PvP-Servers but not vanilla starbound. Just for immersion: who will say it? The planet would be a bit strange. And the char himself...no...if i would stranded in the universe i would have better things to do than running through the wilderness and shouting awesome incredible and so on ;)

Starbound isn't a FPS game so this feature is not necessary at all :D

Elate, LethalShade, M C and 2 others like this.
  4. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

No, thanks. It doesn't make much sense for a game like this. I mean, who's saying it? Where are they? Are they watching you? Why are they so excited about you killing another living thing? Most importantly, what does it add to the game?

5. Sonora

Sonora Title Not Found

No... No, god no. No!

Starbound is already overloaded with not-funny humor and mechanics that just don't fit this genre.

A living thing?

if (character->getDamage() > 100) {
    character->runDeathSequence();
    }

Elate and LethalShade like this.
  6. Gav Featherbeak

Gav Featherbeak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I would find this really annoying but I can kinda see how it would be cool. I think it would be pretty rad if there was a Stanley Parable-esque narrator but obviously that would be hard to implement and wouldn't really make sense with the game's lore.

7. CaptThad

CaptThad Pangalactic Porcupine

heh It'd be kinda hilarious for an announcer to drop the 'M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL KILL KILL' every time you killed a monster. At least for like the first 20 seconds. :rofl:

Think if I were gonna do a mod that added voices though, I'd have to replace the default mob sounds with soundbytes from pro wrestlers.

Elate, Gav Featherbeak and Vsuchinoko like this.
  8. Gav Featherbeak

Gav Featherbeak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Imagine just walking around when suddenly you just hear Macho Man scream http://bit.ly/1taQs4O

9. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

This would get a bit annoying if you're fighting a bunch of enemies

"DOUBLEKILLTRIPLEKILLMMMMONSTERKILLLKILLLKILLLLKILLLHOLYSHIIIIITTT"

10. SeaMichelle

SeaMichelle Some Sort of Weird Fish Princess

Maybe as a mod. Nothing else.

11. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

I agree with everyone else that it doesn't really fit the game.

Although in saying that, referencing it in a less intrusive way might be a little bit fun. For example if you manage to kill 100 hundred enemies in a row without getting hit it might suddenly say "ULTRA KILL" before your character exclaims "Who the heck said that?!"
    You obviously don't get anything for your troubles

12. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

Actually, I think it would be funny to have a parody area like that. Some arena mission somewhere.

Just not all the time when you're out exploring though. Like the others said, it wouldn't fit the experience at all.

SeaMichelle and Gav Featherbeak like this.
  13. SeaMichelle

SeaMichelle Some Sort of Weird Fish Princess

This would be great, actually. Like maybe a mission on a lava planet or something with lots of bouncy soldiers that yell out arena announcer effects when they die.

Akado and Elate like this.
  14. Elate

Elate Spaceman Spiff

I was going to come and blast this whole idea, but that, that would be kind of hilarious. Gratuitous explosion sounds to punctuate everything. Reminds me of that Borderlands 2 DLC.

Skarn and Akado like this.
  15. Harlander

Harlander Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The idea of some kind of reality TV camera drone hovering around you, relaying the announcer's voice and the cheers of the viewers at home, really tickles me.

Elate likes this.
  16. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

brb calling Lakitu

Skarn likes this.