1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Another Plant Mod - PLANT ALCHEMY v0.1.6 Released! Angry Koala Compatible

Discussion in 'Crafting and Building' started by Nexias, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Nexias

Nexias Aquatic Astronaut

Since Cyanogen101 has decided to halt his mod, I've decided to continue on and finish what he started.

This mod focuses on more farming/plant variety, hoping to make this part of the game more interesting and fun to play.
    Will gladly take any suggestion you guys want.
    The sprites for the plants have been quickly thrown together from existing plants, but I plan to create new original ones in the future once I've finalised where I want to go with this mod.

Note that this mod is in its early revisions, that is, that this mod is still very unbalanced and may be a little "OP" in some aspects.

Pictures coming soon!

[​IMG]
    • From Left to right: Runspeed Boost potion plant, Torch plant, plasma grenade plant, plutonium plant.

[​IMG]
    • Plant Alchemy tables and Plant Furnaces

Currently I am just getting the basic plants done, not too sure about how to obtain them yet.
    Update: Sorry for the slow releases, I've got school and a life too ;)

• Bomb Plant
    • Icecream Plant
    • Throwable Dagger Plant
    • Plasma Grenade Plant
    • Shuriken Plant
    • Plutonium Plant
    • Alchemy Table
    • Plant furnace
    • beginning of oreplants
    Cyanogen101 -
    • Pixel Plant
    • Wood Plant
    • Vineplant
    • Banana Bread Plant
    Declan -
    • Torch Plant

• Balance Plants
    • Create a more sophisticated way of retrieving advanced plants (Plant Alchemy/Research?)
    • Create moar plants
    • Tree Saplings
    • Fuel Plants? Ore Plants?
    • Monster Plants?
    • Pet Plants?
    • Buff/Debuff plants [passive regeneration/poison when nearby]
    • Dangerous/Hostile plants [Self exploding plants?]
    • Decorative plants [craft into pot flowers, pretty plant apparel and other plant furniture]
    • Make Plants spawn in the wild

Should note that this is still WIP and nothing is finalised.
    Current:
    v0.1.6: https://www.mediafire.com/download/ettwjust9th6nzs/Another Plant Mod v0.1.6.zip
    Changes: Just updated for Angry Koala, not done with the ore plants just yet! Sit tight!

Older Versions:
    v0.1.5.1: http://www.mediafire.com/download/nh3s1s3qxooqyzq/Another Plant Mod v0.1.5.1.zip
    Changes: Balanced some more plants as per request, started a changelog so users will be informed of the update beforehand, added more ore recipes.
    v0.1.5: https://www.mediafire.com/?rdh8rvyr72dxvgd
    v0.1.4: https://www.mediafire.com/download/yvoyat5t10ku58w/Another Plant Mod v0.1.4.zip
    v0.1.3: http://www.mediafire.com/download/bq60u2i80a6n4nd/Another Plant Mod v0.1.3.zip
    v0.1.2: http://www.mediafire.com/download/on3cpewabbvnnrb/Another Plant Mod.zip
    v0.1.1: https://www.mediafire.com/?on3cpewabbvnnrb
    v0.1: http://www.mediafire.com/download/on3cpewabbvnnrb/Another Plant Mod.zip

1. Unzip the contents of PlantAlchemyMod v0.1.5.zip to starbound/mods folder
    2. Play and enjoy!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
    Silent Strider and Cyanogen101 like this.
  2. Cyanogen101

Cyanogen101 Void-Bound Voyager

YAY!!!, 1 Question, do the plants do anything yet?

3. Nexias

Nexias Aquatic Astronaut

The torch plant gives off small heat and light, Plutonium damages you when you're close, might make the bombplant explode.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    Cyanogen101 likes this.
  4. Cyanogen101

5. Nexias

Nexias Aquatic Astronaut

Any feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated :rainbow:
    Accidentaly made a second post, Woops :p

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  6. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm using this mostly for the wood plant right now, since I really feel that wood should be a renewable resource; for this specific use it is perfect. I'm thinking about using the torch plant too, but until I feel like the other plants are better balanced I'm likely to refrain from using them.

BTW, I had a lot of trouble installing the 1.4 version of the mod; for some reason the game wasn't recognizing the plantalchemy object. I only solved that by making a copy of the original wood crafting table file and porting the changes myself, which is somewhat illogical given that the resulting files are virtually identical. Didn't try the 1.5 version yet, no idea what has changed (apart from the fact the player.conf file seems a lot more sane, but then I didn't use the one from 1.4 anyway) and I'm a bit concerned I would have to do the same thing again.

Also, is the fact that the wood plant is the only added plant that doesn't ever give more than one seed per harvest intentional? I feel a bit silly due to only making a single one of them and expecting to get more seeds with time - the current version seems a bit overpowered at 10 wood for the plant, which is recouped a few times over in the very first harvest, so I wanted to have my grove grow organically to lessen the feeling that I was cheating.

Cyanogen101 likes this.
  7. Nexias

Nexias Aquatic Astronaut

Thankyou for the feedback! Yes, most plants at the moment are quite OP, and I'm sorry for the conflicts that 1.4 was giving. The problem was that when I added a few more recipe's and items to the mod, In my client it wouldn't conflict, because I have the source files, but for those who didn't, it would. Hopefully with the new patch for starbound and more support for mods, it will be easier.

1.5 Includes the starting structure for ore harvesting, but that isn't even finished yet. I'll update to 1.5.1 for balancing purposes shortly.

Also, what else would you like to be seen added to this mod? I've got an Idea of what this mod will be when its finished, but I want to include more functionality and features to not make it a "Different way to get items" mod.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  8. Silent Strider

As far as harvestables go that aren't addressed in your future plans, petals (as well as any other kind of vegetable matter usable in crafting that isn't currently renewable). Might intersect with your idea for decorative plants, given that the likeliest candidates to provide petals are flowers.

I would also be interested in plant-based fuel, but for that I'm already using the "Biofuel'd" mod, which IMHO feels better than just plucking fuel out of plants.

As for things already planned, I'm really looking towards the plants that passively provide buffs or debuffs, as well as the decorative plants, specially if you can get them on flower pots. A patch of bioluminescent plants would, for some kinds of building, feel far more at home than other kinds of illumination.

I'm also interested in the already planned ore plants, provided they don't feel "cheaty".

Cyanogen101 likes this.
  9. Cyanogen101

I Sprited the wood plant, just wondering does it look too ugly? ive been thinking of redrawing it. any ideas?

10. Cyanogen101

11. Silent Strider

Sorry for the delay in answering. I wanted to take a better look at both your plant and the original ones from StarBound before posting, and I simply didn't have time to play these last few days.
    Your plant's trunk doesn't really mesh with the StarBound style; StarBound objects tend to have the outlines darker than the inside (or, if they are too thin, at least the outline on one side, usually the left or bottom one, darker), but your tree has the colors spread all around the trunk. Also, the sapling version of the plant having a trunk just as wide as the adult one is off-putting and needlessly unrealistic

I would also go for a bit less symmetric look, perhaps making a branch get in front of the trunk or even making the trunk slightly wavy. The trunk is so straight that it feels manufactured.

12. maksimmax

maksimmax Intergalactic Tourist

How to use Plant Furnance?:(

13. Nexias

Nexias Aquatic Astronaut

The plant furnace has only craftable ores at the moment, and in the next update I will have the functionality for harvesting and refining plant ores. To put it short, it does nothing at the moment :)

14. maksimmax

Спасибо)

15. Nexias

Nexias Aquatic Astronaut

No problem, just going to wait until next update to release the latest version, to see what they added.

16. DragonZombie

DragonZombie Pangalactic Porcupine

how do i get the plants?

17. Nexias

Nexias Aquatic Astronaut

Craft the Plant alchemy table from the crafting menu.

18. maksimmax

Please, Update mod for Angry Coala.

19. Nexias

Nexias Aquatic Astronaut

Updated, sadly I haven't finished the ore plants yet, I tend to procrastinate a lot :D