A way to zoom out on the world

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by puppets, Feb 24, 2012.

1. puppets

puppets Void-Bound Voyager

One thing I think would really benefit this game was a way to zoom out on your home world (entirely or partially).
    Sort of like the world viewers work in terraria but without the need to use an outside program. This would be useful because it would allow the community to zoom out on their creations in order to post images on the forum for other people to see.

(You could even go as far as providing a way for people to login and upload the images directly from the game to the forum)

Sorry if this was already suggested. I went through the suggestions' titles really fast and didn't see it.

CadeStirling and xboy777 like this.
  2. Zeldo

Zeldo Big Damn Hero

It would be a nice touch to add some sort of thing you can create for your space station that allows you to view what you've discovered already on your planet. I'm not sure it'd be much fun to have a fully detailed map of your planet. The ability to upgrade it could be something to consider as well.

jmlop0 likes this.
  3. Vaidred

Vaidred Phantasmal Quasar

Yes, so I could see whats going on in the world. Great way to spectate or to watch over.

4. Drayo10

Drayo10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

A map of what you've visited would be very nice.
    Many a time have I gotten lost in my mines or dungeon.

5. Kane

Kane Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yeah I would love to see some kind basic mapping system. Done very third party looking so rather then being a perfect or exact terrain map like you see in MC/Terraria it rather be one them old treasure looking maps that gives you just a small overview of what your looking at rather it in perfect detail.

This will save developers time and effort but also cost a lot less resources towards the client performance.

6. Jermex

Jermex The Stampede Forum Moderator

I kinda wished there was a was to view my world as a whole .
    Maybe the starmap will offer a thumbnail or something.

7. TehEpikMonk

TehEpikMonk Spaceman Spiff

Also, this would help for screenshots of structures.

8. Jermex

Jermex The Stampede Forum Moderator

It totally would. It kinda sucks to need a 3rd party program to get a good world shot.

A screenshot of an entire planet's surface would make for amazing artistic possibilities

9. JOndra91

JOndra91 Void-Bound Voyager

There should be binoculars to be able to zoom out.

10. Wuzhles

Wuzhles Cosmic Narwhal

Actually, I think in this case a satellite would make more sense. But it would show "Fog of War" (or what's it called?) on places you haven't explored yet. So it zooms you out, puts on a fancy overlay or something and then you can see the areas you have already explored. Otherwise people would just use this to determine what's on a planet and leave if they don't find anything of value at first glimpse.

jmlop0 and mivader like this.
  11. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

That would be awesome! Perhaps a satellite view or something.

12. Disreputable Dog

Disreputable Dog Void-Bound Voyager

The Dev's have already confirmed that there will be no "fog of war" type stuff. But satellites are the right kind of idea. It wouldn't make any sense to have "for of war" anyway, since if you had a satellite in orbit, you would already be able to SEE the entire planet, and relay that information back to you. It would probably only work for the surface though, so you could see the layout of the surface, but not anything that's not visible from directly above (ergo you could hide things like bases by putting a wall of dirt over the top so it just looks like dirt from space.) But with this in mind, you could probably build special satellites that could scan for certain ores, but they wouldn't give you a view of the surface, it would just give you a map of all the ore int he world.

13. Paradoxium

Paradoxium Aquatic Astronaut

An observatory built onto the space station perhaps? Make it later in the "build order" of things, so that by the time you build it, you have already seen a lot of what the planet has to offer, and built some cool stuff to actually view.

14. Stargazer

Stargazer Existential Complex

The devs can zoom in and out, but it is probably just for testing.

15. boodaflow

boodaflow Void-Bound Voyager

Maybe something like metroid does, downloading map information from place to place. or finding a piece of a map in a dungeon after killing a boss or whatever. something is better than nothing. :p

16. diegopau

diegopau Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think you should be able to download positioning info from the spaceship, but only showing the part of the world you have visit. The spaceship would be what collects the data cause it has a view of the whole (actually only a part but anyway!) of the planet.

In any case, having maps, is one of the features i appreciate most in a sandbox game!. couldn't find it in the suggestions section, guess its somewhere between the 85 pages... any way to locate it to give a positive vote?

17. mivader

mivader Pangalactic Porcupine

But don't binoculars get you a closing image of whatever you are looking at?

boodaflow likes this.