1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

A new look at the Hylotl/Floran conflict: Do Hylotl eat Florans?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by RexBox, Dec 16, 2013.

1. snifit0712

snifit0712 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Amusement. You inferior races and your sapiovorous tendencies.

The Neon Seal and Grimmturd like this.
  2. Grimmturd

Grimmturd Cosmic Narwhal

I had to look that word up. A few times. And it's not officially a word according to google or wiki. Tho saprovore is, but more as a 'carrion eater' than as something that feeds on other, living, sentient species. But screw the internets, I like the word :D

3. snifit0712

snifit0712 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Linguistics. Sapio is a prefix for "Sapient". Vore is a suffix for "Consumption". Sapiovore = One who consumes sapient species.

4. Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Perhaps not most Hylotls would eat a Floran, but certain Hylotls on here (looking at you, Villhelm) who would definitely partake in a Floran salad. I'll be keeping an (even) closer eye on my Hylotl chef, now. Especially if he starts talking about "wanting to make me a salad."

5. Cell Materia

Cell Materia Cosmic Narwhal

no man you got it wrong. grass beats water, hence why the florans totally floored the hylotlians

demanrisu likes this.
  6. Villhelm

Villhelm Phantasmal Quasar

just remember kids
    [​IMG]

Grimmturd likes this.
  7. Hard Drive

Hard Drive Big Damn Hero

Hylotls? Pacifists? I was an Avian and they shoot me on sight when I NEVER HURT THEM.
    They said they would throw me off the temple roof and see if I could fly.

8. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

1) Probably bandits.
    2) Only Avians say that...

9. DoeMan

DoeMan Orbital Explorer

Actually I just noticed this with examination text with NPC Spawners but the Hylotl PC is the most insulting towards both Florans and Humans. I don't know how much the Hylotl PCs represent the race at large but that tells me they don't like us either.

So screw 'em I say.

10. kimpy987

kimpy987 Yeah, You!

Actually, you basically just described what the Agarans do, who are neutral towards Hylotl. As a Hylotl I disagree with the ways of the Agarans. My character in the game is a space pirate though, making up my own rules and such. Many times have I attempted to save a Floran just for the snappy response of "Go back to ssssea sssstinky fish people.".

11. Nutric

Nutric Pangalactic Porcupine

Erm, Florans are not made from plant-matter completely...

The Florans are notable for their plant-like appearance because their outer tissue consists of plant-like material, which give it the look of petals and vines.
    If you have doubts on that, think for a minute: it is widely known that aggression and cannibalism exist between Floran tribes. Florans are carnivorous, so why would they bother eat a corpse full of vegetables?

By the way, not all Hylotl are vegetarian. Higher and respectable ranks of the Hylotl military eat meat.
    But the fact that they eat fish or any other kind meat, does not mean they would capture Florans and slaughter them for food. Those Hylotls who eat meat are very few, and most of the population relies on the vast sea-food found all around their ocean planets.

This is a second thread so far concerning species eating each other, the other one being Avains eating Hylotl(they don't).
    People are hungry.

Those who want to know a little more about the Hylotl-Floran conflict can read the May's Newsletter:
    http://playstarbound.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/may2014_chronicle__1.html

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  12. Model QT-377665

Model QT-377665 Ketchup Robot

That's a horrifying thought, but I do enjoy the thought that the Florans are actually justified in their hate

13. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

This is actually the first thread regarding species eating each other. See the dates on all of the posts except for the one above yours.

In response to your response, how do you know that higher and respectable ranks of hylotl military eat meat? I didn't think there was enough lore for the hylotl yet.

14. The Neon Seal

The Neon Seal Sandwich Man

Scientists have said for a long time that a truely advanced race would be purely vegetarian. Not because they care about eating animals, but because it is a much more efficient way of gaining nutrients, and, ultimately, energy from their home star. Proof that Hyotle eat Florans!

15. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

When a member of a species can be turned into a big bag of assorted Gordon's breaded fish foods, the species never had a chance at being seen as advanced with any degree of seriousness.

The Neon Seal likes this.
  16. The Neon Seal

Your levity amuses the Hyotle. It will only make our victory all the sweeter!

*My Glitch self holds no opinion on the matter*

17. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

Know that my Floran still has access to Ammo Overhaul's Flamethrowers and has since conquered his fear of fire and now torches Hytlotl NPCs to the ground.

18. The Neon Seal

Strong words from something considered as an optional condiment at Subways!

Villhelm likes this.
  19. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

Pretty sure there aren't any subs at Subway where the greens are capable of eating a person with teeth made for ripping into flesh and muscle.

20. The Neon Seal

Crunch... munch... burp...

Oh... Sorry... couldn't hear you over the sound of myself eating this delicious Italian BMT on Italian herb bread with extra cheese and lettice... Opp... sorry again... was this a friend?