1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

A little perspective on the size of Starbound

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by greenskye, Jul 30, 2013.

1. About the generation... It only generates at some spots, most of the space is... empty... It's no that the engine will use every single coordinate to be something, what is not. :p

2. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

also, wasn't the soundtrack 500MB+?
    I'm guessing the game will be over a gigabyte.

3. Sgt. Sprocket

Sgt. Sprocket Parsec Taste Tester

All I know is that space is huge.
    It's so huge that if you lost your car keys in it, it'd be almost impossible to find.

Not necessarily. Generally soundtracks are compressed when combined with the full game.

overlordTNT and Bacon like this.
  4. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

I'm sorry to be off topic but
    your avatar is amazing

GrumpyMcfart likes this.
  5. Sgt. Sprocket

Sgt. Sprocket Parsec Taste Tester

Thank you for appreciating the BluFroTepig. :love:

OT:
    [​IMG]

6. Oathrunner

Oathrunner Subatomic Cosmonaut

What I'm hearing is there is no way to play offline in the way that all the planets will be shared and if one person changes something on a planet someone else will see it no matter what?

I are confused... :wut:
    Can I not just play by myself to the point of no external influence?

Edit* I understand that it really won't matter either way ^^See math above^^ but I'm still wondering what all this talk is about, Just large multiplayer servers?

Eriktion likes this.
  7. BastianHawk

BastianHawk Aquatic Astronaut

I think what everyone is saying is that the layout of the Universe that is generated will be the same for everyone. It is the individual planets and planet systems that are going to be different. So you will be playing on your own but you'll be in the same Universe layout-wise as everyone else. It is like you are playing a Final Fantasy game (or your choice of single player game). You all play within the same Universe but you are all playing it separately.

Eriktion likes this.
  8. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

This game is so complicated :cautious:

9. Oathrunner

Oathrunner Subatomic Cosmonaut

OK, That was my understanding. There was just a lot of confusing talk about Multiplayer (In other threads) and how a planet is saved and shared through out the (What I've come to understand) individual server.

10. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

I'm pretty sure the planets are randomly generated, with some kind of seed right?
    Theres gotta be some way to teleport to someone.
    server mods would be helpfull with /home /sethome
    or just basically added to a game.
    or like "host options" as in /tp [etc.]
    or, it's the hardest to find someone. ever.
    As it is all over the "game universe"

11. BastianHawk

I believe that will be what the coordinate system will be used for. You get your buddy to send you the coords and you warp right to them.

12. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

Then. is there really a "end" to the games planets?
    I would say no

13. BastianHawk

The best I can do is point you right back to the OP.

14. Snoerris

Snoerris 2.7182818284590...

Major props to you doing all of that calculation.

15. Zaflis

Zaflis Pangalactic Porcupine

You can try to justify it as much as you can. But you could easily compare it to Minecraft where everybody would use same seed, with very different start location. It just isn't that unique playthrough in the end. You will end up remembering "good" and "bad" planets, and use those in all universes you play in.

16. xboy777

xboy777 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This post needs WAYYYYY more attention and likes. It truly deserves a medal :cookie:

17. Sizzle

Sizzle Phantasmal Quasar

Way too keen for this game. I might spend my entire life devoted to it. :chucklefish:

Shippo likes this.
  18. Tleno

Tleno Spaceman Spiff

Maths... maths makes my head hurt... and talk sporadically... but it gives me hope!

On other hand, even if we'd end up with just 10 million unique worlds, that would still be a lot for each of us!

19. TheSpoon

TheSpoon Big Damn Hero

That's what she said.

Couldn't resist.

Kawa likes this.
  20. Shub

Shub Void-Bound Voyager

I don't remember the maths I did some weeks ago, but I noticed that even if everyone in earth would start playing it would take several generations to visit every possible planet (just visiting it, taking a few seconds).

The size of this game is just crazy.