March 2nd - Developing the economy.

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Armagon

Armagon Gameplay Design, Sound & Dungeon Guy Chucklefish

Armagon submitted a new blog post:

March 2nd - Developing the economy.

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

CaptThad, YukkiE, Hwo Thumb and 19 others like this.
  2. Hells yeah, I'm excited for a real economy. I'm also super happy to see you're taking a mathematical approach to determining values. Nothing sucks worse than arbitrary pricing.

sugarkitty and Zael like this.
  3. ZallCaTor

ZallCaTor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thank you! I knew someone would get around to this. I've done this sort of thing before, and I'm right with you there, this is no easy task. Good luck!

4. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

yes! pricing structures ftw
    =D
    farming is finally almost useful again ^^

and at last, a workstation lab at the outpost
    xD was really looking forward to it ^^

wondering though, will the printer learn things automatically, or do we still have to scan them first?
    if so, will there be a way to visually identify not-yet-scanned scannable items as well as items that are scannable but have already been scanned once?

Khuur, Zael and Hatsya Souji like this.
  5. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Finally! The administration is taking the economic recession seriously!
    Can you address the issue of how readily-available fuel resources is causing oil prices to drop sharply?

On an unrelated note, does the "Dungeon Guy" in your title have anything to do with the movie release of 50 shades of grey? Because that'd be kinda exotic weird.

Hwo Thumb and Celd' The Magi like this.
  6. ZallCaTor

ZallCaTor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Would this sort of economy also applies to multi-player?
    I think players are more into the multiplayer aspect of the economy than via NPC.
    Once we have a standard price for all items we (meaning you guys) could implement a trading function between players, so that items and pixels can be exchanged between players in a safe facing with no risk of getting robbed, but prices can still be bargained.

7. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Heh. The addition of the crafting room and teleporter to the Outpost is wonderful. Very useful. Now if we can just make some of those quests optional rather than mandatory...

Cat656, LastDay and Hatsya Souji like this.
  8. enceos

enceos Subatomic Cosmonaut

I hope teleporters are coming soon! )
    Please give more love to the Core Fragments, they're shiny and should be used to make some illumination items as well.

9. linkstheman

linkstheman Master Chief

This is good stuff. Too many times would need to craft something while at the Outpost, and have to run back to my ship to do so. Keep up the great work!

10. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

Wonderful! beautiful!

11. Krytikal

Krytikal Subatomic Cosmonaut

These outpost changes sound great! It is good to see the little things get some polish with each update. Trimming the fat makes all the difference.

12. Ebsolas

Ebsolas Void-Bound Voyager

My personal thoughts on this. No economy ever uses a straight pricing system. Not for wholesale at least. I think that there should be at least some charisma based negotiation system. It would also allow for a new character role i.e. "middle men" with high charisma to buy foods from farmers at prices higher than they could normally sell it for then sell it to vendors for even higher prices (still less than value pricing however).

13. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Well, I am looking forward to an update to the economy in Starbound, but I can't say I am happy with how you've chosen to balance farming in this new economy. Unless I am missing some relevant information, why would the player be interested in buying further seeds if the farmable plant gives back a seed on harvest and has the potential to give more seeds as well? This goes especially for Wheat... every player knows just how much the Wheat Seed tends to exponentially multiply while farming.

And farming is, in itself, extremely fast and easy to do. Wheat takes, what, six minutes to grow fully? It used to take ten, which was more appropriate, but you guys reduced the growing times further, probably to accommodate the impatient, vocal minorities... not to mention that all farming requires is Dirt and a Hoe. There is no benefit to using exotic substrate (like jungle Mud or volcano Ash) over something available on the starter planet, and there are no current mechanics which would warrant using an improved hoe to till soil to plant crops.

I mean... I know you guys want a farming system in-game, but I just think it's a bit too early to be pricing crops and seeds. New mechanics and better balance are necessities that should come first, before any decent pricing can be established.

By the way, if anyone has some info on the farming tier system, could you share it with me? That would be great.

megakruemel, Beatrice, Khuur and 6 others like this.
  14. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

I really like that teleporter in the outpost. The repetitive walk from the Gate- albeit short - was rather annoying.

Type1Ninja likes this.
  15. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Taking wild crops into consideration. I think it will only work if wild crops have a high failure rate.

Shadow Wolf TJC likes this.
  16. Volpe Nico

Volpe Nico Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think the point of purchasing seeds would be to accommodate those who don't want to travel all over Tiy's Creation looking for certain seeds. I know that there are times when I'm starting my own garden that I'd rather go to a centralized location and just get a group of seeds instead of wasting exploration time trying to hunt down boneboo or reef pod. Being able to buy seeds would let me get a quicker start on that and spend my time on the architecture of my homestead.

17. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I know the point of buying seeds. I clearly stated that you cannot get a satisfactory pricing for seeds and crops until you consider all of the factors, and further develop the farming system.

And I'd honestly prefer it if crops were not something you scanned planets for, as crops IRL are the farthest possible thing from wild, natural plants. You wouldn't expect to find a chihuahua out in the forests, would you? So why would you expect to find wheat or carrots?

Khuur and Shadow Wolf TJC like this.
  18. Krytikal

As long the "charisma" was a trait acquired through clothing or buffs, I'd be inclined to agree. Race could even be a factor. Glitch and Florans could have a slightly harder time of it, while Humans and Avians might have it a tad bit easier. That said, I wouldn't sweat if it wasn't implemented.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  19. Donna-Jones

Donna-Jones Void-Bound Voyager

yaaaaaayyyy selling Items !! whoop ! :giggle::cry: ... thats actually all that stayed in my mind from this post :X:badpokerface: ... but haaaay I LovE that this is a actually worked on feature :)...

YukkiE likes this.
  20. Krytikal

As with pretty much every single aspect of Starbound since the initial beta release, it is likely open to change. I totally agree with you on fleshing out the mechanics more; different grades of soil having varying effects on success/duration; maybe even depending on what you're trying to grow in the first place. I'm in the habit of putting a thin layer of water on my rice crops, would be nice if it was mandatory. Codexes that you can find throughout the universe that highlight ideal growth conditions. Want 100% success rate? Get some UV lights, temp control and vents, because you'll have to go hydroponic. Maybe even distinguish between saltwater and freshwater. So many ways to make agriculture more challenging and engaging! "Easiest" isn't always "best", and for those who wish to grow crops and take the time to create an ideal conditions, it could be lucrative and feel rewarding. For those that don't wish to waste their time with all that, then the agricultural aspect of the game isn't for you, and that's what the rest of the economy is for!