November 7th - All the things!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Armagon

Armagon Gameplay Design, Sound & Dungeon Guy Chucklefish

Armagon submitted a new blog post:

November 7th - All the things!

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Thank the Nine. I gave up playing after it took me yonks just to craft one piece of armor. Admittedly, I think it was more because of pixels than ore, but still.

3. Soundless Productions

Soundless Productions Aquatic Astronaut

I always figured the biggest issue with the guns was that they ran out of energy too quickly and it took too long to regenerate your energy for them to be practical. Adding a clip size might help with that by forcing the player to wait every once in a while for their energy to recharge. Also it would add another whole element to gun diversity.

4. Ditto on the T1 gear getting a material reduction. It took waaaaaaaay too long before to actually get prepped on your force set of gear. Glad to see it's a lot easier now.

Although, I'm surprised about the removal of the hunger bar. Given its repetitive nature, it may have been for the better. Very interested in seeing its changed role in action.

Kennotel likes this.
  5. UltraSnaky

UltraSnaky Pangalactic Porcupine

"Novakid two-handers"

i just pictured a Novakid swinging about a zweihander. i'm so sorry

Ner, yclatious and jcklsldr like this.
  6. ssuper8

ssuper8 Void-Bound Voyager

I personally like the hunger system. Granted it's annoying sometimes but I like that I can bring a tent and my hunting bow and live from nothing. I like survival. Maybe it would be worth considering altering the hunger system rather than doing away with it completely. For example, how about certain foods keep you fed for longer, that would give you incentive to cook with all the vegetables and fruits rather than just eating meat. Making jerky and soup and dried tomatoes and stuff like that which would keep you full for a long time and also give you the buff. I like the buffs idea a lot. So let's say you smoke your meat over the fire while you're resting in your tent recovering HP, that gives you jerky which keeps you fed for a good while and gives you a temporary health bonus... personally I think it would be cool to cook and make all sorts of food. Maybe you need salt to make jerky? I'm talking a lot about jerky because frankly I've got a craving right now. Haha anyway, then later on you could just add an 'endgame' or 'midgame' food that keeps you fed for a ridiculously long time. Like those seeds in Dragon Ball z. You know the ones I mean. So you find this plant later in the game that gives you this amazing fruit or whatever it is that keeps you fed for almost forever. And you just keep growing those... That gets rid of the need to eat later on in the game, eliminating the mundane act of having to eat, but also preserving a sense of progression. Whaddya think?

Keep up the awesome work, guys :)

7. Feathery Quink

Feathery Quink Title Not Found

Hsss, Floran alwaysss want eat dry, chewy meat

8. R_C_A^

R_C_A^ Pangalactic Porcupine

I honestly wouldn't mind hunger staying a thing on harder difficulties. Easy should be pretty damn easy, and hard should be hard, with hardcore being you mess up and you die...permanently... :p

As far as machine pistols are concerned, it makes sense they do less damage then rifles. So i like this change. Some parts of dungeons should be pitch black, and require flashlights or flares, for that OMGICANHARDLYSEEWHATSINHEREWITHME!? Suspense can be a fun thing, but i do understand the want for seeing whats attacking you however...

9. Aer_

Aer_ Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i think you should just give gun reload time to balance melee weapon, i mean borderlands like reload but you don't need to buy ammo

DrVoodoo likes this.
  10. GhostZero

GhostZero Subatomic Cosmonaut

I can't see the videos. For the past few months they've been replaced with a GIF of a character standing in a cave with revolving colored lights on his/her head. I'm sad. :(

11. jjk9

jjk9 Void-Bound Voyager

I personally dislike hunger systems in any games, so it's a relief to me personally to find it now gone. I can however see how others would like the system and I agree with R_C_A^ that harder difficulty's could have the hunger system reinstated. Maybe you should make a poll to which people want with the three options

1. No hunger
    2. Hunger
    3. Hunger on harder difficulty.

12. TheTrueArtisan

TheTrueArtisan Subatomic Cosmonaut

Novakids dual-weilding revolvers while run-and-gunning through an old west town on an alien planet? Sign me up today!

Making it so food is a supplement to getting/extending buffs sounds like a great way to go, although it does take a little bit from the roll-play aspect of things. Maybe you could have a series of junk food items that do nothing to buff a character, but you can eat as much as you want? I guess I just want it so my character has something to do while smelting or going though space other than sleep.

jonathonspy and jcklsldr like this.
  13. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Hunger or no Hunger, it depends on what kind of game Starbound aims to be.

I once heard someone define Starbound as a "Survival game" in the likes of Rust, DayZ and the more obvious one, Minecraft in Survival mode.
    But it seems the game is doing away with the trappings of that particular genre.

hunger were a hassle, but such is the nature of Survival Games (And The Sims, whatever the heck that game's genre is). Micro managing the
    basic needs of your character is paramount to Survival. If you are doing away with that, then I can assume Starbound no longer aims to be that
    kind of game.

which is fine by me. This game needed more, I don't know, Identity beyond "Terraria in Space".

hoooo boy, just wait until my Glitch gets ahold of them fancy novakid gears.

Well, I was too young but I guess I can kiss my social life goodbye once this game officially comes out...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    jonathonspy likes this.
  14. Hwo Thumb

Hwo Thumb Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just wanted to say I love all the updates you guys are giving. Starbound is getting better by the day, it seems.

That being said, I think I liked the old hunger system better. I always found in strange in games when food would be interchangeable with medicine. Having food and bandages separate made more sense, and gave me a bit more to concentrate on than just their health bar - in a good way. I feel like the addition of a hunger mechanic gives Starbound a touch of extra identity. As BloodyFingers stated, Starbound seems to be leaving the survival genre, but I really enjoyed that.

Perhaps there's some way the hunger bar could stay in? I like SB as a sandbox-survival game as much as a sandbox RPG.

(Though if hunger stays out, someone will probably make a mod to add it back anyway)

15. weirdee

weirdee Big Damn Hero

I hope you're boosting the crop/food selling system, because now that foods are potions, I basically have nothing to do with the hundreds of things I've harvested and cooked. It seems like there was a lot of effort to make different kinds of food, but no real end goal in mind for it. This is a common issue with food in a lot of games, though...since taste is not a factor that can easily be translated into games that don't have comprehensive RPG stat systems.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  16. legodude2

legodude2 Title Not Found

I like everything but the hunger system. Please leave it as a normal hunger bar, with SOME items giving buffs, and the rest just fill you up. Besides that, I'm loving the updates so far![DOUBLEPOST=1415422630][/DOUBLEPOST]
    and option to change this would be a great idea. Plz Devs!

17. Cendog

Cendog Big Damn Hero

I dont really use the forums or anything but I just want to throw out a bug that I seems to be happening on the new update. Whenever I heal myself with bandages (I have not tried other healing items) I become invincible. I can not get killed by anything. If there is a certain place where I have to put this bug report can someone either tell me or just report it aswell.

18. common

common Contact!

I personally like the hunger system. Gave the player, depending on play style, the choice to chill out, build a house and have a nice little farm . Granted I am sure one can still do this, but it in a way limits the need to do so if one does not need to eat as frequently.

We will all have differing opinions on the matter, of course. Perhaps it could also be looked at as a racial thing. By that I mean Humans need to eat more, because, well - Human. Glitch is robot so the need to eat is a lot less. So on and so forth.

19. IronFistSurvivor

IronFistSurvivor Subatomic Cosmonaut

I personally think we should have kept, but moved the hunger bar. Just plop it between the health and energy bar, and done!

I would have said I would like thirst too, but A. I don't want to torture the people who doesn't want it and B. I really don't know how the heck that would work with the Glitch.

BlueKutsu, jonathonspy and Treequil like this.
  20. common

common Contact!

They drink oil all nom nom nom!