October 28th - All the small things!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Armagon

Armagon Gameplay Design, Sound & Dungeon Guy Chucklefish

Armagon submitted a new blog post:

October 28th - All the small things!

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

I spy Sally using seashells as shield walls in a screenshot. And something about shield generators.

In other news, that's awesome! Have you thought about having burning/chilled effects cancel each other out?

Higuera and Balboa250 like this.
  3. RenaldiForumStar

RenaldiForumStar Big Damn Hero

Awesome work, Armagon and co. I can't wait to come crashing through dungoens, dodging traps, shielding my self, being inflicted with weird status effects, and slaying monsters - somewhat realistically.

That being said (please don't bite off my head for this) do you think this (Rampaging Koala) will be able to be pushed to unstable around Novemberish?

Edit: Senpai, please notice me. :(

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  4. Helix1111

Helix1111 Big Damn Hero

WILL THE SHIELD GENERATORS BE CRAFTABLE? AND HELP YOU PROTECT YOUR OWN STRUCTURES FROM GRIEFERS?

5. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

y u caps mon D;
    anyway, i can't wait to try this out =D i always try and go through the obstacles and not build my way through a dungeon as legitimately as i can anyway though, but actually striving to disable the generator might add that little bit of fun that's missing in dungeons.
    especially if
    capslockman's questions come to be. ^.^

can't
    wait~!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  6. Armagon

Armagon Gameplay Design, Sound & Dungeon Guy Chucklefish

Not sure about chilled negating fire, but you can jump into water to put it out now!

This one's a bit of a can of worms, unfortunately. While you could certainly imagine players placing these purely to protect their own works, there's the question of "what happens if another player comes in and places a shield generator in the middle of my stuff?" Should it only protect objects they placed? What's to stop a griefer coming onto a server, placing a bunch of blocks into the building you were still working on and then putting a shield generator up to keep them stuck there?

Unfortunately the overall best protection against griefing is to always password your servers and give the password only to people you can trust, though I realize this is hardly ideal for those of you who like having big public servers. We've certainly given this problem some thought, but player-crafted generators are not likely to be a feature in the next stable update.

Toasty Goat, Higuera, Akado and 6 others like this.
  7. Gene

Gene Phantasmal Quasar

I'd suggest considering implementing it at some point in the future, even if not in next stable update. It goes a long way to make public servers more friendly.

One problem Terraria had for protecting player blocks from griefers is having every block remember who place it, which was unfeasible memory wise. But this way, you only need to remember who placed the generator, and only allow the person who placed it (as well as server admins) to turn it off/remove/break it.

As for a griefer placing generators to obstruct other players - you can just have a server admin kick the griefer and turn off/remove the generator. It's way quicker and less painful to remedy than to fix blocks/structured broken by a griefer. Plus, server admins should have the option of only allowing other admins to place shield generators.

As for the griefer breaking stuff not protected by generator - well, they can already do this, so this feature won't make things worse for those who don't use it, but merely add another layer or protection do those that DO want to use it.

At some point, server admins/passwords are the final layer of protection, and no in-game mechanics can stop all forms of griefing. But anything that fits within the game theme and makes griefing a bit harder (and more importantly, reverting the consequences of griefing a bit easier) should be considered. Griefers only succeed in ruining games because it's harder to fix what they break than for them to break it. If you upset the damage/repair balance in favor of repair, griefers change from game-ruiners to a manageable nuisance on public servers.

ChoMar and Harrug like this.
  8. Entomoligist

Entomoligist Big Damn Hero

I really like the work on the hitboxes! Some of them were really annoying me, but I'm especially glad you guys are putting lots of work into the small things as well!
    Great work! :nod::DD

9. Dash_Rendar

Dash_Rendar Void-Bound Voyager

This game is starting to be full of SO MUCH WIN that I'm really excited for the full release. Bravo Chucklefish, you are doing it right!

10. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

turn the lights off carry me home

Peelz and wubbles417 like this.
  11. sirservbot

sirservbot Void-Bound Voyager

:kitten::kitten2: and when you upgrade? :kitten::kitten2:

12. Bronze Dog

Bronze Dog Starship Captain

I do like the prospect of player-made shield generators, but yeah, there's plenty of room for abuse. Having server admins give them to trusted players seems like the best option to me.

13. davidlolcat

davidlolcat Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thanks for responding to this question!!! Its always nice to know you are aware of an issue and are thinking it through, weighing the pros and cons.

Assaf and Hatsya Souji like this.
  14. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I wonder if enemies take damage from traps again?
    Placement Abuse - can be midigated by simply causing a broken version of the trap to fall when well... broken.
    Have a not so easy recipe to fix it each time. Allows people to create trapped homes \ personal dungeons for monster mitigation.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
    Armed Mosquito likes this.
  15. Spectre118

Spectre118 Void-Bound Voyager

Could the trap items also hurt monsters?

When I played many many months ago, one thing I did was use traps to make hazardous looking areas that'd kill me, but monsters could just prance on through. How come they can't hurt monsters, or do they now? Maybe somehow make them only hurt monsters when placed by the player? I don't know, just wishful thinking as I dream of pitfalls ending in propellers or fields of barbwire, lol.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  16. Zael

Zael Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hoping you'll include attraction & being pushed away into the spinning propellers, akin how they did it in the Windforge.

17. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Will there be any indication that a certain structure is shielded?
    Like a faint glow in the blocks or a humming noise?

Or should I just assume any dungeon or more elaborate structure is shielded by default?

Would be nice to use propellers to build makeshift vehicles, But I guess that's a bit much...

Edit: On traps, I was more concerned about those damn near invisible wooden stakes that sometimes littered waterpools underground. It's one of the reasons I mostly stopped spelunking and, in the rare instances that I did, avoided ponds like a cat avoids baths...

18. wubbles417

wubbles417 Space Spelunker

^^ was waiting for this :lickitung:<3

This looks awesome! I wonder if it would be feasible to implement items with moving hitboxes, perhaps a large, slower-moving propeller to dodge blades, giant crusher blocks, or Indiana-Jones-style moving saw traps and the like? That would be really cool for navigating dungeons![DOUBLEPOST=1414547605][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Player made helicopters!

Higuera and BloodyFingers like this.
  19. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

yeah, @Zael mentioned Windforge, so that came to mind. Though I think Chucklefish had different plans for surface vehicles.
    It's rather funny if you stop to consider, those avian skyships are basically just floating in the air. Remove the propellers and nothing comes out of it. Wouldn't it be fun if the ship crashed hard into the ground if you did?

PS: That poor soul is freezing, burning AND suffering from poison? blimey...

Zael and Hatsya Souji like this.
  20. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Well, maybe they shouldn't have eaten at Jack In The Box.

Zael, TheGamer100, Higuera and 2 others like this.