October 14th - Interface Foundations

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Oct 14, 2014.

1. metadept

metadept Mostly Harmless Codesman

metadept submitted a new blog post:

October 14th - Interface Foundations

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

beari78, Zael, Titanium and 13 others like this.
  2. Esahc_

Esahc_ Cosmic Narwhal

Am I allowed to make and play starbound in starbound?

3. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

cool, cant wait till someone codes pokemon or something in this game :rofl:

Kyuketsu and Hatsya Souji like this.
  4. KalithDemoren

KalithDemoren Space Hobo

Isn't that going to be awfully slow? I wrote my own GUI code in C++ a while back, also using Lua as a scripting engine, but all the rendering was done in C++. Lua could be used to define the interface at load time, but would never draw anything by itself.

Redtail9898 likes this.
  5. Supergeek

Supergeek Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It seems pretty performant. Here's a gif I made that shows random 60x25 characters as fast as possible. I experienced no lag.

[​IMG]

6. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Sweet jesus @.@

dantronix likes this.
  7. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

I'm too tired to read it all but I see that you can play video games inside Starbound...
    GAMECEPTION!! *insert inception noise thingy here*

Galactic Avatar and Hatsya Souji like this.
  8. Uzkniso

Uzkniso Big Damn Hero

Hopefully some minigames will appear in the future. That would be awesome!

9. KalithDemoren

KalithDemoren Space Hobo

While cool, that doesn't say much because you might play on a super computer :) I was mostly worried about the low end specs.
    In any case, I'm curious. How does it work in practice? Do you just bind OpenGL primitive functions to Lua calls? Or is there some batching mechanism?

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  10. SalmonMax

SalmonMax Title Not Found

This is pretty awesomesauce, but my favorite part is where he says they don't have time to mess with this much.

That implies to me that they're rushing towards something. Something we all want. Something close enough they don't feel they can take a moment to pause and experiment with this on the path to.

It makes me nod sagely, and smile a Buddhic smile.

11. TheTrueArtisan

TheTrueArtisan Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'd love a space-themed version of those old text-based adventure games.
    "You see a space ship.
    >Approach space ship
    An alien eats you.
    You died."

12. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I would deliver a hearty bwooong indeed if you hadn't made that pun.

Ghostican likes this.
  13. ayunox

ayunox Phantasmal Quasar

Can't you guys just release a stable update already pls instead of making such things... maybe i'm the only one but i think this idea with the computer could break the whole game feeling. But maybe it's just a joke again.. who knows. I hope so anyway.

14. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Could not disagree more. Stuff like this could make the various consoles and terminal items actually have a more complex purpose instead of just be cosmetic or a glorified on and off switch.

15. LuchKot

LuchKot Orbital Explorer

I look forward to the inclusion of all these incredible things in checked, stable update. In other words, I really want multiplayer, along with all of this.
    You guys are incredible and I'm shocked by your abilities. I'd like to learn from you.

16. AstralGhost

AstralGhost Pangalactic Porcupine

This is something modders have needed for a very long time and without this they can't create very efficient mods in certain aspects of the game. Or honestly can't even create them at all.
    With this it opens up a whole new dimension of mods, including advanced quest lines, new merchant systems, new object-mechanics.... Pretty much everything.

You might think this is a joke, but for modders and people who use mods this update is EVERYTHING.

17. Mystify

Mystify Void-Bound Voyager

Whenever a game has a earth-shattering, game-changing update that doesn't effect some % of the population, that % will complain that the update was pointless.

Zael, Darkbynight, Lintton and 8 others like this.
  18. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

"Numerical keypad locks for doors" alone makes this worth the time invested in it.

19. Kwayne

Kwayne Subatomic Cosmonaut

It would be interesting to see some doors unlock if the player can beat the lock's AI in a simple game.

20. RatixFarrence

RatixFarrence Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Beating a crappy AI at chess could open a door to progress through a dungeon. Sounds like there could be even more creative stuff done with this.

A timed Memory match is also a good one.

Breakout, Zael, UnsoundM and 2 others like this.