September 17th - Reach for the sky!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Armagon

Armagon Gameplay Design, Sound & Dungeon Guy Chucklefish

Armagon submitted a new blog post:

September 17th - Reach for the sky!

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Efpariah, AdenSword, Uzkniso and 13 others like this.
  2. LastDay

LastDay Heliosphere

Hah! Yeah that looks like the Hand Cannon of RE4 atm. ;)
    Speaking of which you should totally make a high lv revolver actually be that big!

3. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

I'm liking the spritework here! Though, mind if I add the Novakid skull mask to Stable as a mod?

4. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Existential Complex

Man, I think that everyone is gonna be taking up arms as a Novakid at the next stable update.
    Other than those filthy humans, flea-ridden Apexes, and those smothering-you-with-peace Hylotls.

EDIT:
    Also, I really hope the next Novakid update will be called "There's a snake in my boot!".

BurgerBum likes this.
  5. BrakSampson

BrakSampson Big Damn Hero

It seems like the Novakids' ability to craft guns is a bit of an unfair racial advantage over the others.
    Hyotl can't breathe underwater
    Avians can't fly or glide
    Glitch metal bodies don't take reduced damage
    Floran plant bodies don't regenerate health
    Apex and Humans don't get anything either.

What gives? Why are the Novakids getting such a great perk to play as them, but the others don't?

6. megakruemel

megakruemel Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well i guess, that you have to start somewhere in buffing. Pretty sure the other racial things will come eventually but novakids crafting guns seems to be the first step towards racial abilitys.
    I also heard, that novakids crafting guns is not their only racial advantage since weapons are easily gettable but passives are notand fanfictions have been talking about this for a long time- so no real source though.

Maybe novakids won't get cold or will not need that much energy when fiering guns, since they are made out of energy? I guess only time can tell but be assured, that every race will get their racial trades--- at least i hope so.

Arlei likes this.
  7. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

That reminds me of the "pistol" used by Jack Nicholson's Joker, when he shot down the Bat...plane thing.

The quote, however, reminds me of Toy Story, and thus begs the question: Do Novakids fly? Or do they merely fall, in style?

Redcorpian, Titanium and Cyrix like this.
  8. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

Courtesy of @thefluvirus, the dude's a pro!

Looking good guys!! It's exciting to see the Novakids coming together!!!

9. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

Agreed, although megakruemel has a good point that it might just be the first step towards Racial abilities, so I'm not too worried about that.
    Well whatever they do, they would be a great kid's toy :iswydt:

10. RedstoneFox

RedstoneFox Void-Bound Voyager

In all honesty, look at how FAST that gun fires. It has a slow fire speed and low damage. It's a racial weapon, it ain't gonna be OP. Besides, you want the Novakid to be using Hylotl weaponry? What swords do cowboys use anyway? Heck, even in Cowboy Bebop, they used guns... Space cowboys use guns. Not swords.

Kawa likes this.
  11. Zael

Zael Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Offtopic: Would it be possible to get a banner that links to Chucklefish's blog? (Here on the StarBound's main page?)
    Thanks, keep up the good work!

12. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

The Novakids are my new favorite race. They are just too cool.

13. Melissia

Melissia Ketchup Robot

The artstyle is cool and all, but I still have a problem with forcing all the other races to use found guns or a novakid "mule" in order to have guns of their own.

14. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Roadblocks? Bah, this whole game is a giant roadblock... just look at how long it has been taking.

But is it worth it? Of course it is. Keep up the steady work! :up:

15. Sh0elace

Sh0elace Phantasmal Quasar

I agree that the other races should also get an improvement like maybe more special race specific weapons or abilities. But I am all for Novakids getting to make guns early on, I don't think they would be the same if they used just swords.:up:

16. Hatsya Souji

Let's just have this: NovaKids are good at ballistic weapons, Hylotls do ironically favor energy weapons even though they're underwater!

17. Melissia

Melissia Ketchup Robot

I'm okay with Novakids getting guns early on, I just wish that the other races would as well.

18. Hatsya Souji

What if the Avians specialized in lasers? Hylotl on Swiss-Knife jRPG/RWBY-like weaponry (as in, the Right Mouse Button doesn't block, instead: does a tech attack)?

19. Speed Lightning

Speed Lightning Phantasmal Quasar

The Glitch mission sounds interesting, Armagon. I look forward to it, despite being a Human.
    Will it be possible for other species to take a mission for a different species after their own species mission, by any chance? I would find it interesting to assist the Glitch species, or at the very least, a Glitch party member.

Echo2506 and Hatsya Souji like this.
  20. Echo2506

Echo2506 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Looking great!
    Haha, yeah!