August 29th - Kindergarten

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Aug 29, 2014.

1. metadept

metadept Mostly Harmless Codesman

metadept submitted a new blog post:

August 29th - Kindergarten

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Zael, Zeklo, Windcaller and 14 others like this.
  2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

All the leaves are brown (also green), and the skies are a lighter brown...

Beatrice, Dust, lumpeh and 2 others like this.
  3. neosuduno

neosuduno Aquatic Astronaut

Those trees are perfect for Terra-forming.

4. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

Oooh, that world looks really nice. And it's great to hear that you're making world gen a bit more interesting since most world just feel similar right now. Hopefully that will change!

5. megakruemel

megakruemel Subatomic Cosmonaut

That looks really nice and atmospheric. Gives a whole new feel to running around!

6. beari78

beari78 Guest

So... Well be able to use grappling hooks to traverse? YES

7. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

Oh yesh! I might still build a cliffside mining outpost if such thing will exist in Alpha planets.

8. Program_024

Program_024 Title Not Found

That certainly does look peaceful...

Just so comfor- LOOK OUT FOR THE BIRD!!!!

9. XENOXES

XENOXES Subatomic Cosmonaut

This is kind of weird, but my favorite thing is the trees.

ll LoneWolfe ll and Hatsya Souji like this.
  10. MineWarCrafter

MineWarCrafter Void-Bound Voyager

I don't think I would like all my characters to spawn on the same world... I'd rather much have them on similar world.

11. Phil_Rambo

Phil_Rambo Title Not Found

Oh man. That sun, though..

12. Entomoligist

Entomoligist Big Damn Hero

I really enjoy the new garden type, really fits with the atmosphere and gives new players something nice and easy to live with. :catface:

jamstronaut likes this.
  13. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Relaxing... comforting... yeah, sure.:yeahhhh::yeahhhh::yeahhhh:

I'm fairly certain that big gun is juuuust a force of habit, I mean, what are the chances of that cute little winged fellow eating his face and vomiting blood all over his desecrated remains?

14. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

A good consideration. Someone over there is thinking...

Would be nice to play test all these new features... say in an official patch.... :proper:

Splignarth, Roequ, AvantGuard and 4 others like this.
  15. jpmrocks

jpmrocks Phantasmal Quasar

It looks hella nice.

16. gokkan

gokkan Aquatic Astronaut

I like this consideration. IMO the starting levels of the game are too difficult for a beginner. Dying every 5 minutes will turn off a lot of people. Especially if you're dropping pixels and ores. Making the terrain gentler is a good step. I also like making higher level terrain more advanced and difficult. Now if we can do something about those bloodthirsty "tutorial level" monsters...

Hatsya Souji, TrueEdge and R_C_A^ like this.
  17. JennShii

JennShii Pangalactic Porcupine

Love the "From simple beginnings" thing with the terrain! But about the Grappling hook... While it's neat and all, I haven't really found a good use for it yet. Abilities seem to be so much more useful, and I understand that since you can craft the grappling hook it's much more accessible, but as soon as I find something like the gravity bubble or even double-jump It just seems to be so much more convenient to use rather than the graps. Not to mention that it's even easier still to simply use some of the excess dirt I get from mining to make stairs or shields instead of useful game mechanics like blocking with a shield. Something I'm sure you've already thought of adding would be simple hazards that are somewhat designed with the grapple in mind. I've gone and quickly made a picture equivalent to the Mona Lisa in terms of quality to demonstrate what I mean.

LavaPits.png

Now preferably the lava pit, that's lava just in case my fantastic art didn't portray it correctly, would be much wider than it currently is. Also take note that the ceiling is at just the right height to be able to easily grapple onto it. At the end is a ridiculously out-of-place 3D chest in the 2D world which represents some sort of reward for traversing the gap. It could be anything from one of those dumb little capsule things that I wish I could ignore but pixels are like crack in Starbound's current build (you need it, man, but there's just NEVER ENOUGH) to an actual chest.

I realize now after putting all this effort into this post and wasting my amazing talent on that work of modern art that totally wasn't made in like 8 minutes that my example doesn't actually solve the problem. Meh.

18. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

So... a monster-free planet, and we never need to worry about our NPC's being eaten again?
    It's a trap!

IOScream, lumpeh and Hatsya Souji like this.
  19. Greatblackshark

Greatblackshark Cosmic Narwhal

Very good and important work here. Remember your first time ever playing Terraria? It was definitely very welcoming at first with the night time posing the only real danger early on.

ll LoneWolfe ll likes this.
  20. Brassqund

Brassqund Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

We need trees that attack people in that biome.
    *evil laugh*

Cipherstar, Archer, Ironicism and 8 others like this.