August 27th - Still at it!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Armagon

Armagon Gameplay Design, Sound & Dungeon Guy Chucklefish

Armagon submitted a new blog post:

August 27th - Still at it!

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. the_5hadow

the_5hadow Void-Bound Voyager

cool im really excited about the next update. Ive been waiting for it since what ? 4 months ! I am verry very happy to know about all the work you all do and i am looking forward to the final result. continu the good work! ;)

Higuera, sρooκs and Inco like this.
  3. Tomato Master

Tomato Master Noob Simulator 2014

I quit. This game sucks. No updates have happened in forever. Great job with the crummy game CF. Just kidding lol. In all seriousness I am really excited for this update. Can't wait to see all the new stuff.

4. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Thanks for the update, balancing anything is always tough

5. GammaNu

GammaNu Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm thinking about auto balancer algorythm, but it look to be very hard to do. You need to simulate many playing situation, add playing IA with some random, define the wining ratio targeted, then launch many many automated simulations with variating parametters (random at the beginning then converging on best balance)... For simple situation it look hard but possible, for an all game situation with starbound complexity, perhapse it's a waste of time to try to automate it.

Think about it and feel free to contact me if you want ;)

6. Zeklo

Zeklo Heliosphere

The sweet sound of progress!

7. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

[​IMG]

LadenSwallow, Ado, Higuera and 9 others like this.
  8. benignInferno

benignInferno Void-Bound Voyager

I'm getting excited for that next stable update, looks like it's going to have a lot of reworked elements to it. Hopefully, it will give the game a different feel of openness and variety, which is something I've sought after since playing Starbound a ton in the past month or so.

9. willpill35

willpill35 Subatomic Cosmonaut

this sounds awesome looking forward to seeing were this goes one thing that ithink would be really awesome for small moons and asteroids would be a lack of gravity and that you would need to use thrusters of some kind to get around or your graple hook. at least until you can put in a artificial gravity genorator or something.

10. ODSTNICK

ODSTNICK Big Damn Hero

how come I cant play on single player
    on my game

11. KazeSkyfox

KazeSkyfox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Balance has plagued giant dev teams for decades, look at how often WoW or Guild Wars needed nerfs. (Not actually sure if Guild Wars is one of the big games that needed nerfs, it's either that or LoL. I don't play any of those games so iunno)

Anyway, pretty much nobody has perfected it at all and most people still do a shoddy job of it so know that the genuine effort you put into it is still worth something and keep trying. I'm sure the community will voice any issues they have with armor balance. (I'm sure we'll be voicing it loud enough to drown out any constructive advice, we internet users are good at that.)

I think it's pretty cool that we get these updates where the dev team expresses the different bumps in the road they come across. They're so human in nature. It's nice to know sentient creatures make games and not automatons on an assembly line. That's why I like indie games. Regardless of how terrible or good a game is, a dev's honesty and willingness to show their humanity always sell me.

Type1Ninja likes this.
  12. AdenSword

AdenSword Pangalactic Porcupine

There are only 11 comments right now (this makes 12) Watch this. By tommorow morning. There will be about 80ish

13. Proangel

Proangel Orbital Explorer

let me help with the comment numbers ;)

14. korda

korda Pangalactic Porcupine

I think the biggest problem with balancing is having players with different skill. When I was playing LoL there were situations when part of community composed mostly of casual players was begging devs to nerf some character while "pros" were proving it actually need buffs - because they could easily handle something that most of the players couldn't (like using specific strategies to counter that character). Also there were times where some pro players were finding new ways of playing champion and suddenly balanced champion was becoming "overpowered". At some point devs acknowledged that sometimes only way to satisfy everyone was to rework champion instead of tweaking the numbers.

I'm not sure how much people will play PvP in Starbound, I bet it will often end up balanced for PvE and unbalanced for PvP.

15. jpmrocks

jpmrocks Phantasmal Quasar

Melee needs high defense to range, low defense to staves.
    Range needs high defense to staves, low defense to Melee.
    Staves need high defense to melee, low defense to ranged.

Runescape's good ol balance triangle of magic, ranged and melee. Each armor set could boost it's core i.e. Stave armor increases stave power, melee armor increases melee power, ranged armor increases ranged power. Just a thought to throw in the mix if ya'll need help balancing.[DOUBLEPOST=1409207079][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Actually, I might make a picture to go with this...

16. KabuTheFox

KabuTheFox Void-Bound Voyager

any news on a stable or unstable update ? cant wait to try out your guys awesome progress :)
    (i would go to nightly builds but the most recent doesnt even want to start for me o.o)

17. Belgoliad

Belgoliad Phantasmal Quasar

I'm still not a fan of the balancing for the start of the game, to be honest. 1,000 pixels and the oh-so-rare planetary core chunk things is pretty frustrating, especially since it seems like the pixel drop rate has been nerfed. I've had a pretty hard time getting ~100 pixels now, where pre-unstable releases I was raking in the dough, even at earlier levels. And it didn't matter then.

18. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

People will complain about the balance anyway, if I were you I'd make two difficulty settings and the player gets to pick which one he/she gets by answering one question: Are you like superhardcore and are desperate to shout it to the world?

Answer 1: YES!! I am so hardcore that I can't do pushups I do earthups because I push the planet!! *make difficulty, all weapons do 1 damage/hit and 1 attack/hour, player health never to exceed 10 points of health while all monsters do 99999999999 damage/hit, have 999999999999 health points and attack once every 2 seconds, also player can't outrun monsters or teleport away from combat, must fight until one is dead. Death is permanent and erases all character, ship and world data*

Answer 2: I'm happy with my life so no thanks. *make difficulty something normal for an overall enjoyable experience, not too many deaths and an awesome way to explore, build and have fun*

Oh I would totally do that, too many _____ are always whining about games not being hard enough. I would implement an unskippable one multiple choice question survey after every time the player gets trashed in superhard mode asking them if the difficulty is high enough and all the possible answers would be variations of "No, this is way too easy."

19. MrNowak

MrNowak Aquatic Astronaut

That would be awesome (for me) if chucklefish make novakids powers like in infamous second son :)

DarthTrethon likes this.
  20. Dagger7

Dagger7 Industrial Terraformer