August 22 - Adding skies to outposts

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, Aug 23, 2014.

1. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

OmnipotentEntity submitted a new blog post:

August 22 - Adding skies to outposts

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Lord Kain

Lord Kain Ketchup Robot

Looking good keep up the good work =)

3. lividust

lividust Starship Captain

At first i was confused when the first minute nothing seemed to happen then the night day cycle happened.
    looks cool

4. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Well, okay, but the video is SO SLOW AND LONG. :L I had to hold the right arrow key to make it a acceptable speed.
    Also, sortof cool-ish. Why do we care again? Still cool i guess. xD I mean, i dont see the use, but, well, its cool.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    sρooκs likes this.
  5. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

Sorry about that, I tried and failed for to reencode it at a faster rate with an acceptable quality. I tried mencoder, avconv, ffmpeg, and vlc. After reading man pages for 3 hours and not really getting any closer to a solution I just said screw it.

This used to be easier back when I dabbled more in video encoding like 6 years ago. What happened? Did I just get stupid?

6. PabloM

PabloM Pangalactic Porcupine

Presumably it's on your list of things to tweak, but it really bothers me that at about 11;30 the sun just disappears in the middle of the sky as "night-time" rolls around. Technically, the sun falls below the horizon (which is probably the main condition), but it should go behind something or at least go off-screen! It shouldn't set if it's still in full view.

It is the source of the daylight, after all!

Also, lil query about the floating dungeons. Are they going to be essentially little self-contained planetoids, or will they be floating above other planets (ie: in their high atmosphere)?

:)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    Type1Ninja, Starsly, Archer and 6 others like this.
  7. Doyp

Doyp Void-Bound Voyager

Thought it said skis. :(

8. THE_____

THE_____ Phantasmal Quasar

That would be quite the mystery.

9. amisner2k

amisner2k Aquatic Astronaut

Why did you make an entire video showing nothing but a sky transition? Did the transition effect change since last update or something? I'm not trying to sound rude, I'm just genuinely curious. Anyway, I appreciate all the work you guys have been putting into the game so far. Keep up the good work. :)

10. THE_____

THE_____ Phantasmal Quasar

I think Omni just wanted to show that the gateway is found in the sky and not in space.

11. KadoDragon

KadoDragon Void-Bound Voyager

I was going to mention this myself. I found it very annoying. The kind of thing I will not be able to stop ranting about. I hope that is just a temporary thing.

12. janusforbeare

janusforbeare Phantasmal Quasar

Is "reading man pages" the innuendo I think it is?

"Come back later, honey! I'm, uh, reading man pages!"

Seriously though, as someone who studied video production for years before getting into the administrative side of things, I feel where you're coming from here. It's not like riding a bike - with the progression of technology and the complexity of the subject matter, it can be easy to lose technical skills like that.

ReverendBonobo and Salrith like this.
  13. SalmonMax

SalmonMax Title Not Found

The sense I got about the sun's position is that in normal planets the 'sun' is actually an object that animates and moves slowly across the sky. The sky itself has a lighting effect that creates a 'halo' around the sun as it rises and sets though (you can see it at dawn here too, but most of it's hidden behind the gate...only the rays are visible). So what we're seeing in this video is not the sun...it's just the halo effect. Normally you'd have a sun INSIDE the halo when it happens, and it would have moved there naturally over the course of the day, like it does in the game now.

But since this is just a demo of the sky background, it's not there yet. :)

14. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Recommended listening music to the video
    • Yiruma - Passing by.
    • Two Steps from hell - Fill my Heart

Also you could essentially skip from 3 minute mark to 11 minute mark. [ I actually sat through it... sadly enough ]
    Otherwise it is a pretty cool effect.

15. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

This makes me think that having such sheer verticality in the asteroid cliff shown here, to have really big planetary chasms large enough to fit detail normally attributed to dungeons, yet exposed enough to breach sunlight between the overhanging rock formations. I think that's one thing that could help make Starbound's exploration special. A very sci-fi idea, I think.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  16. Cgeta

Cgeta Pangalactic Porcupine

Make the sky for the gates or the outposts some intense colorful nebulae :3

17. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Nice idea :DD

18. clasgutr

clasgutr Void-Bound Voyager

yeah I mean it a nice effect, but this wouldnt actually happen in an area with no atmposphere. If these outposts are just out in the emptiness of space then there is no refracting of light and there would be no sunlight/sunset. It also makes no sense that the sun disappears behind nothing. The only reason we see a sun setting is because the earth is rotating around it and we begin faceing away from the sun. If this isn't a planet with a horizon then it makes no sense .

Zael and AmazonValkyrie like this.
  19. Salrith

Salrith Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm fairly sure this is something floating up above a planet, not just randomly out in space. The ISS (international space station) still experiences sunsets and sunrises.

PabloM likes this.
  20. ODSTNICK

ODSTNICK Big Damn Hero

your not stupid