Stats and Scripts

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by kyren, Aug 20, 2014.

1. kyren

kyren kyren

kyren submitted a new blog post:

Stats and Scripts

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Dromna, Zael, Ado and 19 others like this.
  2. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Yay! Now, with the help of a mod, "feeling a little left of center" can be a real status effect! Is it possible that one of the new statuses will be "Dancing uncontrollably" and would be caused by a special instrument or flute?

yoggmaster and BloodyFingers like this.
  3. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

That'd be a nice way to wrap up a PvP...

4. This sounds like a great deal of work, but I expect the gains from it to far outweigh the cost. This sounds like paving the way for more interesting consumable effects. Perhaps maybe even a wearable shield generator?

5. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

How about a status effect that shrinks you and allows you to enter those tiny houses. Modders, GET ON IT.

6. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Does this mean that XS Corporation Mechs can finally add flashlights and underwater breathing to a mech?
    :3

Gunslinger likes this.
  7. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

So, basically, this means ALL my OP h4x0r items are going to be borked? :C

8. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

So in essence, you are redoing a system, AGAIN....

When will you all focus in on getting the main systems working, rather than getting distracted with all this other "enhancements"?

It's getting tiresome.

killa_ninja, Nimeni and Hatsya Souji like this.
  9. Yes, making something more sustainable is an absolutely horrible idea. They should push out something that isn't extensible shouldn't they?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  10. Leak

Leak Subatomic Cosmonaut

It's called "refactoring"...

You should try it sometime; it might save you from gouging your own eyes out down the line when you get eye cancer from looking at moldy, crufty code that's become unfixable over time...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  11. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I think this is one of those main systems, dude.

Based on the most recent news posts, it looks like everything is getting an overhaul. Once all this stuff is overhauled, then the "enchancements" will begin.
    I think in order for you to expand your point, you must list the "main systems" that you want working, and your reasoning for calling this and other recently completely explodified and then put back together into something somehow more awesome redone systems "side systems."

Seriously, though, I have legitimate, well-meaning curiosity as to what you think needs redoing. :)

Ashen likes this.
  12. ejh1990

ejh1990 Phantasmal Quasar

@kyren and @OmnipotentEntity am I correct in understanding that this will result in modders being able to easily add new gameplay mechanics such as thirst, fatigue, radiation poisoning, and so on? And if I am correct in thinking that, would there be any plans to add new elements such as meters to the HUD to support this new system? :)

In any case, it's good to see further freedom being extended to the modding community. Any move to a less hard-coded approach is awesome.

Gunslinger likes this.
  13. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

You have just discovered the true meaning of "microdungeon".

14. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

I will have to disagree, planning out your code first and designing it from the get go to be as modular as possible is a better approach. Writing the program correctly the first time will always be more effective than hard coding proof of concepts and then reverse engineering how it could be modular. It may not be instantly functional, but it is worth the investment.

15. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

In a perfect world, everything would be as moddable as possible. but I imagine it takes more time to make things as such. Am I wrong?

16. Gratuitous Lurking

Gratuitous Lurking Space Kumquat

So, does this mean that weapons with status effects won't be doing just 1 damage after the first sector like they do now? Or is that still a issue with the randomized loot system?

17. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

I think its only you that accidently your entire Starbound.

18. artbot345

artbot345 Gotta Catch 'em All! Mk.2

I wonder what a "Brain Reboot" is for?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  19. clasgutr

clasgutr Void-Bound Voyager

all of these updates we have been getting to really speaks to the ineptitude of the developers of this game. To release Starbound in this state calling it a "beta" is laughable. Re-doing every major game system from the ground up? That is certainly not a beta. The picture becomees even more bleak when you realize all of the content that was promised and still missing from the game. They can't seem to decide how to finish their product at all. So when will you guys be adding actual new content? Things that were promised like the Hyotl colonies, aquatic planets, more varied monster AI, quests, working NPC interactions, vehicles and the like?

Seems like the game is just perpetually stuck in this infantile stage and no one knows what they should be doing, so they keep refining old systems (or fixing mistakes made by coders that shouldn't have been made in the first place)

Nimeni likes this.
  20. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

Yes and yes eventually we plan on having scriptable gui stuff.