August 19 - The day when all your mods died.

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, Aug 20, 2014.

1. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

OmnipotentEntity submitted a new blog post:

August 19 - The day when all your mods died.

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Axe Garian, Tamorr, ejh1990 and 4 others like this.
  2. No, Omni! Not bad news! Nooooooooo! Not the mods I don't have!! Take my eyes but not my mods!

Thank you for the update :chucklefish:

Tamorr and Serenity like this.
  3. Zeklo

Zeklo Heliosphere

Well then...

4. XE23K13L

XE23K13L Void-Bound Voyager

Haha, im guessing this means one of two things. Either or, glad I didn't install mods.

5. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

RIP mods

well they were fun when they lasted

Retr0, Type1Ninja, AvantGuard and 6 others like this.
  6. baltosaa

baltosaa Pangalactic Porcupine

Wait, so is this somehow removing all our mods with no hope of ever getting them back?
    I'm a little confused. This seems very strange....

StarScribe and Biirdy Daysleeper like this.
  7. XE23K13L

XE23K13L Void-Bound Voyager

I think what the OP was trying to state is that with the updates to the game coming in and what not, Mods will break and in turn have to be remade for the game again. I mean I just jumped into the Nightly Builds and man there is a crap ton more stuff then there was in the original builds, which im pretty happy about.

All in all don't fret!

8. baltosaa

baltosaa Pangalactic Porcupine

Aah, okay. That makes sense. ^.^
    Thats what I figured, but I just wasn't entirely sure...
    (That was a fail on my part. xP )

9. Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

10. ja450n

ja450n Phantasmal Quasar

is this just in nightly for now?

11. OmnipotentEntity

Yeah just nightly.

12. LastDay

LastDay Heliosphere

Looks like you missed the "a" before href! :D
    In any case thank you for the blog post!

13. Sniperfox47

Sniperfox47 Starship Captain

Glad to hear. The JSON patching system seems much more robust than the current merge system.

For those of you confused by this post and who haven't read the original discussion it's not like mods are permenantly broken. I'm not a Dev so my understanding may be a little off but I'll do my best to sum it up simply.

Currently (in stable) mods use a special "merge" line to make changes to existing files. With the new system in place mods that use that system will no longer work, but they can, relatively easily, be upgraded to the new system which is much more versatile.

I doubt mod developers will adopt the new system right away with the constant and massive changes to nightlies so it might take some time after the next stable update before all the mods get updated to the new system. But it'll allow compatibility between a lot of currently incompatible mods.

14. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Still, some working examples would be useful to just clarify, those docs are pretty dense and I'm not certain all of the stuff it contains is actually relevant

15. OmnipotentEntity

Here's a short example.

Let's say you have a file named... oh I don't know, "player.config" And let's say you want to change the hitbox of the player by changing around the standing poly.

You would create a file called "player.config.patch" and it could contain, for example, the following:

Code:
    [
      { "op" : "replace", "path" : "/techControllerSettings/baseMovementParameters/standingPoly/2", "value" : [ 1.35, -2.5] }
      { "op" : "replace", "path" : "/techControllerSettings/baseMovementParameters/standingPoly/3", "value" : [ 1.75, -2.0] }
      { "op" : "replace", "path" : "/techControllerSettings/baseMovementParameters/standingPoly/4", "value" : [ 1.75, 0.65] }
      { "op" : "replace", "path" : "/techControllerSettings/baseMovementParameters/standingPoly/5", "value" : [ 1.35, 1.22] }
    ]

What that will do is change the values in the file from:

Code:
      "techControllerSettings" : {
      "baseMovementParameters" : {
      "standingPoly" : [ [-0.75, -2.0], [-0.35, -2.5], [0.35, -2.5], [0.75, -2.0], [0.75, 0.65], [0.35, 1.22], [-0.35, 1.22], [-0.75, 0.65] ],
      "crouchingPoly" : [ [-0.75, -2.0], [-0.35, -2.5], [0.35, -2.5], [0.75, -2.0], [0.75, -1], [0.35, -0.5], [-0.35, -0.5], [-0.75, -1] ],
      "airFriction" : 0.2,
      "mass" : 0.6,

// should keep the player from teleporting through walls
      "maximumCorrection" : 1,
      "maxMovementPerStep" : 0.4
      }
      },

to

Code:
      "techControllerSettings" : {
      "baseMovementParameters" : {
      "standingPoly" : [ [-0.75, -2.0], [-0.35, -2.5], [1.35, -2.5], [1.75, -2.0], [1.75, 0.65], [1.35, 1.22], [-0.35, 1.22], [-0.75, 0.65] ],
      "crouchingPoly" : [ [-0.75, -2.0], [-0.35, -2.5], [0.35, -2.5], [0.75, -2.0], [0.75, -1], [0.35, -0.5], [-0.35, -0.5], [-0.75, -1] ],
      "airFriction" : 0.2,
      "mass" : 0.6,

// should keep the player from teleporting through walls
      "maximumCorrection" : 1,
      "maxMovementPerStep" : 0.4
      }
      },

Possible values for "op" are: "test", "add", "remove", "move", "copy", and "replace". They do what it says on the tin. The only one potentially confusing is "test" which simply tests the path for some value, and if it's not correct it aborts the patch.

"test", "add", and "replace" take "path" and "value"
    "remove" just takes "path"
    "move" and "copy" take "from" and "path"

There's other stuff like "-" for end of list and using ~1 and ~0 to reference "/" and "~" respectively. But that's pretty much it.

16. Rikkichet

Rikkichet Aquatic Astronaut

Yep, that seems appropriate.

Arlei likes this.
  17. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense now, I'd never figured out how that 'path' system worked without seeing that. Doesn't that mean that adding new entries requires a vastly new format? - Functionally the merge system allowed you to include entire new blocks of JSON practically verbatim, which made it very easy to edit and figure out, ie:

Code:
    {
        "__merge" : [],
        "species" : ["avali"],
        "defaultBlueprints" : {
            "tier1" : [
                { "item" : "blah1" },
                { "item" : "blah2" },
            ]
        }
    }
    The new system would now take the form of... uh:

Code:
    { "op": "add", "path": "/species", "value" : "Avali"},
    { "op": "add", "path": "/defaultBlueprints/tier1/item", "value" : "blah1"},
    { "op": "add", "path": "/defaultBlueprints/tier1/item", "value" : "blah2"}

Or, something close to that?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    Green Causali-Tea likes this.
  18. OmnipotentEntity

Close but not quite.

Code:
    { "op": "add", "path": "/species/-", "value" : "Avali"},
    { "op": "add", "path": "/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-", "value" : { "item" : "blah1" } },
    { "op": "add", "path": "/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-", "value" : {"item" : "blah2" } }

Because tier1 is a list, and you're appending to it, you can use "-" to say "end of the list". And you can tack on arbitrary json values.

nubnubbud, ja450n and RyuujinZERO like this.
  19. RenaldiForumStar

RenaldiForumStar Big Damn Hero

Thanks a lot @OmnipotentEntity .... now i cant even use mods by inactive devs who still use _merge...... :mad:

20. Barlov Monkiss

Barlov Monkiss Big Damn Hero

Now the future can commence! The death of an era and the birth of another brighter one! :rainbow:

Arlei and pi master like this.