July 29th - Quests!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Jul 29, 2014.

1. metadept

metadept Mostly Harmless Codesman

metadept submitted a new blog post:

July 29th - Quests!

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

That's just radiant.

(a cookie for whoever gets it.)

TZling, Greenfinger, Jonesy and 3 others like this.
  3. ejh1990

ejh1990 Phantasmal Quasar

Nice! This was something I was really looking forward to. Might even be an excuse to look more closely at the nightly builds in the near future! :D

Something I do wonder is whether quests will be locked to a planet or whether some quests would span across the universe. Because it would be absolutely amazing if the occasional randomly generated quest was universe spanning.

And, of course, it will be interesting to see how the modding community runs with it. :D

Ooh! Ooh! Radiant meaning good, but also alluding to TES quest systems!

What flavour cookie can I has? ^-^

KeesDeNeger, Greenfinger and Jonesy like this.
  4. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Chocolate chip, of course! No better flavor cookie exists!

5. Captain Rage

Captain Rage Phantasmal Quasar

Patch is getting closer and closer. Hopefully..... :p Glad to read about these frequent updates, regardless of size!

Greenfinger likes this.
  6. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

I just wonder what kind of quests a rifle-toting shifty-looking robot has to offer us...

7. skydart

skydart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Quests! Nice! But I hope, if we have to collect fur or teeth, that the animals in Starbound are in better shape, than those in certain MMOs... *shudder*

8. Entomoligist

Entomoligist Big Damn Hero

Sounds AWESOME!
    A couple bits I want to see...
    -Make some quests lead to a boss. Like for instance, this one NPC has heard rumors about an abandoned mine. You go to the mine, and a boss appears. After you defeat the boss, the NPC rewards you with something to move the story ahead.
    -Make every quest unique and special. For example, an NPC wants you to build him/her a house on a planet with only flower trees and green soil (The house would have some requirements, like a light, a window, one door, a nice roof, and two pieces of furniture.) Another quest could be to capture a specific creature in a pod and bring it back, for science experiments or just as a pet for the NPC. Some quests could be asking to do things other quests want you to the exact opposite of, forcing you to choose different options. And finally, a quest could be to go kill a whole village of innocents- the quest giver would be a universal criminal, which leads to the intergalactic police to show up and arrest the person. Then after the person is arrested, new shops in outposts open up to celebrate.
    Then, my last last last idea- One NPC will tell you they want to go explore a cave planet, but they aren't prepared. Then, you have to come with this guy and help them through the cave to find the special core fragment he needs to repair his ship. As you search for it, the NPC will follow you around behind you the whole time. (Just like in pokemon, like Eterna forest in platinum, how the person was following around you as you helped her through.)

9. DaJoe85

DaJoe85 2.7182818284590...

I am so excited to see this! This next stable update is going to be amazing!

10. I'm usually not a naysayer, and I'm excited for procedural quests, but does it have to be a golden exclamation point? Please tell me that you didn't use Gray and Gold question marks to show incomplete/completed quests.

11. DaJoe85

Do you dislike the exclamation or the colors? I really the the exclamations, and am neutral on the color.

12. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Of course, everyone knows that
    !
    is best style.

13. Demonoid74

Demonoid74 Star Wrangler

The exclamation points should be mauve , or fuchsia! Just sayin'

And yes...for the love of the gods...do not include headless , wingless , legless , armless , heartless , stingerless , brainless , poison sackless , fangless mobs for quests like other games like to do...Hey if I kill something , its pretty much a give in that it has a head or other part I am supposed to collect...nothing like killing 46+ mobs to collect 10 heads...

TheNameless likes this.
  14. Shizuyori

Shizuyori Void-Bound Voyager

super excited about this, maybe finding random items that start quests.

i find the exclamation a little big but.. yay!

15. DaJoe85

Hmmmm.......I guess red would be cooler, but I don't really care as long as we have quests !!!!!!

BloodyFingers likes this.
  16. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

That is a unniversal symbol by now.

Any living being in the galaxy can tell that thing hanging above people's heads means they need something from you.

Dargona1018, Kawa, Slimy and 2 others like this.
  17. Ashen

Ashen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks for the update on quests Metadept! Quick question, will this make it easier for modders to add in their own quest lines and reward systems? For instance, the capability to ensure that specific mobs can spawn with required drops and that the quests can span multiple planets/systems/galaxies? Thanks for any insight into this and as always keep up the magnificent work.

18. sρooκs

sρooκs Scruffy Nerf-Herder

An exclamation point is well known but the size is a little too large and doesn't take into account lots of quests in one place.

Don't settle for mimicking other games, at least change the color of the marker. :facepalm:

Will there be '?' markers for accepted/ongoing quests?

19. skydart

skydart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That is so true! My boss need one of those, then we would love doing his tasks even more (dreaming of all the hefty reward). :p

BloodyFingers and DaJoe85 like this.
  20. PabloM

PabloM Pangalactic Porcupine

DoomFire, Kawa, BloodyFingers and 5 others like this.