July 28th - Crafting Progression

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Armagon

Armagon Gameplay Design, Sound & Dungeon Guy Chucklefish

Armagon submitted a new blog post:

July 28th - Crafting Progression

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Varixai, Zouleena, Tamorr and 17 others like this.
  2. Yay for plans, the divergent armor paths is something I was hoping for. I would still love to see something like passive bonus techs, but this is a great start. ^^

3. yclatious

yclatious Guest

While interesting,isnt this preety much limitating what you can do,something you guys have ben trying tio aoid to begin with?
    Its just Class Limitation,realy,though you guys were trying to avoid that.

Bah,anyhoo,nice to see some progress.

Vinjas, Zael, Hamty and 1 other person like this.
  4. Inco

Inco Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Now I'm usually not that dirty minded.. but..

5. SalmonMax

SalmonMax Title Not Found

It's not really limiting. It's not like you have to wear Accelerator gear to have guns. It just helps target some of the restrictions guns have, and ease them.

mojoyscourge and Lukhaz like this.
  6. It's only as dirty as you make it xD

7. Dwagon

Dwagon Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

So basically, it's similar Terraria's Melee, Ranged, Magic role-armors.
    That's not a bad thing, honestly.

8. Armagon said we could mix and match though, it doesn't seem like class limitation, just more specialization roles that we didn't have before (minus the cold weather gear, but I could be wrong). Reminds me a bit of Terraria's system, which isn't a bad thing (it was a good system!)

9. Entomoligist

Entomoligist Big Damn Hero

Sounds awesome!
    question: Will different races have whole new types of weapons, including race-only hybrids?
    I think i'd be pretty bored if all races have the same tiered weapons. All of the weapons for that specific race should have a cool colored theme that goes with the race. Also, I think it would also be cool if different races could hybrid each other's weapons. For example, a Floran knife and a Novakid pistol could be a pistol that shoots sharp bullets, or a pistol with a knife on it.

10. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Seems interesting, does this mean that Aegisalt, Cerulium, and Rubium are all mined with the same pickaxe? It seems like this may conflict with the current order of mining operations!

Ulithium_Dragon and Sihn like this.
  11. thunderskull833

thunderskull833 Orbital Explorer

cool this might be good for the novakids i think ;):mwahaha::mwahaha: also any body excited for the novakids?

Lukhaz and ClockworkMidnight like this.
  12. Wolfie Inu

Wolfie Inu Pangalactic Porcupine

This is a pretty cool idea! Depending on how it's handled/implemented, I could see playstyles like Mass Effect's mix-and-matched half-classes emerging, even if they're not explicitly set up that way.

@yclatious I wouldn't say it's limiting - rather, divergent tech paths allow for more variation. In the absence of three different paths, different equipment of the same tier would have to be pretty closely matched to prevent one type from being clearly better than any other, in which case progression doesn't really hold much in the way of risk vs. reward, or any kind of variation (hampering replay value, etc.). It's a tricky balance, but having an informal kind of class system(while not locking players to a class) seems like a pretty reasonable way to do it.

Good thinking, guys :D

DaJoe85 and yclatious like this.
  13. ProkhorVLG

ProkhorVLG Existential Complex

This is neat.

Does this mean we get 3 separate armor models for each tier, or..?

Altaeon likes this.
  14. Luchóg

Luchóg Sandwich Man

I think this sounds great! Games should have certain choice perks as well as weaknesses; this is what makes games challenging and gives players a reason to keep playing.

Choices like this are what I'm really excited about. I know I can not wait to choose a certain play style and start mix and matching armor and weapons!

15. Tomato Master

Tomato Master Noob Simulator 2014

Pretty cool that there will be different armor paths. I really like the idea.

16. Anarchosyn

Anarchosyn Industrial Terraformer

What does "glass canon" play style mean? I get melee and ranged, but am having a hard time imagining what Armagon meant by this.

17. Gene

Gene Phantasmal Quasar

Is the tier progression for items same as before?

Perhaps intereave the armor tiers between level and type, and/or make the 6 ores you mentioned all have equal equivalents, so that they go 1,2 (tank), 1,2 (agile), 1,2 (dps), instead of 1,2 (tank), 3,4 (agile), 5,6 (dps). In other words, all 3 classes should be balanced instead of some inherently stronger than others due to ore tier.

18. Wolfie Inu

Wolfie Inu Pangalactic Porcupine

Glass cannon: a character build that can cause lots of damage but dies easily.

(My default playstyle.)

19. SalmonMax

SalmonMax Title Not Found

My question is...does the 'gun' armor have the same benefit as the 'staff' armor? It sounds like both varieties of armor simply provide extra reservoirs of energy to use. Is there anything else to differentiate them?

jetsetdizzy likes this.
  20. Blake81

Blake81 Cosmic Narwhal

So, it'll be a sort of Fighter/Thief/Mage thing? I like that, TBH. I favor guns and speedy characters. So I'd like to have an armor which is better for said style.

Also, I agree with @Gene says; it's not fair if the ores are that linear, as it sorta betrays the sense of specialized armors.