July 9th

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

Tiy submitted a new blog post:

July 9th

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Sokina

Sokina Heart of Gold

Ooooh. Sounds pretty fancy. Sometimes static locations in a procedurally generated world can have a huge impact on how things are done. At the very least, it's a solid foundation for lore and stories like you mentioned. Rather than aimless doing of things for the sake of doing the things.

3. Dyskord

Dyskord Scruffy Nerf-Herder

*drools*
    Will there be more static locations?
    Also, will these locations in MP be the same for every player?
    (Say, you want to start a server with friends, and play with them from the very start etc)

cokedragon, Serenity and jonathonspy like this.
  4. J-block

J-block Pay it Forward

Really like the idea of *cough* Stargates *cough* for progression/lore purposes.
    Sounds exciting.

Hajlakan, Naun, Thundercraft and 7 others like this.
  5. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

sounds like update is rolling out soon. get hyped!

noone should assume that.
    we still have a distinct lack of content in this VAST universe... *shifty eyes*

6. Cakewalker

Cakewalker Subatomic Cosmonaut

oh man this is gonna be fuuun!

7. Gene

Gene Phantasmal Quasar

About Quests:

Great plans, makes sense to have some fixed locations to mix with the random ones, to ensure there is some certainty for those quests which need to be scripted a certain way.

That being said, I think focus should also be given to procedurally generated quests and events, and that a large(r) percentange of such quests and events should indeed be taking place in procedurally generated worlds, especially quests which make you build/modify something on a world instead of just retreiving an item.

Being a game that its heart both constructible and procedurally generated, I think Starbound should leverage both of these aspects heavily. If most social/progression interactions are on fixed outposts, then the constructible and procedurally generated aspect of the game are not leveraged to their full potential. Planets should be something players are rewarded for investing/improving/creating things in, not just looting/killing something and leaving, never to come back.

About Stargates:

I think Stargates is something player should be able to construct in orbits of worlds they visit, which should allow free travel between worlds connected by stargates (and optionally 50% fuel reduction if only one of the source/destination worlds has stargate). This should be together with the removal of the free "warp me to home planet" mechanic which works for short term but IMO isn't good long term solution. Stargates would have to be within X lightyears of another Stargate (possibly upgradeable as game progresses) for them to be considered connected.

This should do away with a single "home planet" concept (really, any planet you consider "home" should be "home"), and towards an Empire-building mechanic where you gradually expand your stellar sphere of influence and have easier time travelling within your empire than outside it. As well, this can tap into other long-term uses for Stargates, like ability to transport supplies or NPCs from one planet to another if there is a Stargate connection.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    Naun, Ludovic, supernovus and 18 others like this.
  8. Beathrus

Beathrus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Gimme! ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

9. SssiltSsstrider

SssiltSsstrider Title Not Found

seems like these *cough* Stargates *cough* will have a Massive effect on the gameplay as a whole, perhaps if we constantly use them we can find the Sol System?

10. Benkinz99

Benkinz99 Pangalactic Porcupine

This Sounds Sweet! Cant wait till All this stuff makes it out of nightly and into at least beta.

jonathonspy likes this.
  11. Cgeta

Cgeta Pangalactic Porcupine

Oooh, static locations! :O

I really hope it'll have a unique and otherworldly, but very beautyful background.

jonathonspy likes this.
  12. velkos4ever

velkos4ever Void-Bound Voyager

sounds really interesting can't wait for it.

jonathonspy likes this.
  13. Sir_Pixelot

Sir_Pixelot Void-Bound Voyager

OH MY GOD I WANT IT SO BAD.

Serenity, jonathonspy and Donna-Jones like this.
  14. Musetrigger

Musetrigger Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

This makes my tragic feels quest idea incredibly doable. I want this.

Also more places where people can easily meet in mutiplayer. That's always nice. We may actually get an equivalent to the Mos Eisley Spaceport (Cantina Please) in Star Wars Galaxies. Why, yes. I would love to receive buffs before I head out to fight Krayts.

All I need are my four hundred or so themepark quests to become a jedi and I'm golden.

Benkinz99, Titanium, torp3do and 3 others like this.
  15. Ponjkl

Ponjkl Subatomic Cosmonaut

In four words: Perfect

Naun, torp3do and jonathonspy like this.
  16. zixaphir

zixaphir Void-Bound Voyager

Static hubs sound fun and like a nice way to tame the ferocious beast that is the RNG can be.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  17. Musetrigger

Musetrigger Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Use the Force, Ya'll!!

Those are four words and they're pretty much summing everything up for me right now.

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!! I have a setting for my comics now!!

jonathonspy, SivCorp and Ponjkl like this.
  18. yclatious

yclatious Guest

A Hub-esque area of Trading and Questing?
    Sign me the f*ck in.

Dimension gates,however,seem a bit too...well,lets say impratical and absurd?
    I dunno,the Lore implications and such seem too heavy and explaining its origins,how on earth its still working,how it works and such,woudnt that be atad hard to explain with the Universe of Starbound?Sunno,dunno.

Moon stone?Hmm,why would Moon Stone fix a FTL drive?Bah,geting ahead of mysef.

Armours,weapons and the like are very welcome!

Although I do beg of you Tiy,remove the stupid as f*ck ore loss death penalties a game breaker.Please tell me its a experimental joke.

Sageheart likes this.
  19. Speedicus

Speedicus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Pocket Dimensions. Hell yeah.

Naun likes this.
  20. NovastarX

NovastarX Big Damn Hero

Furnace upgrade, you say? :cry:

Also, hooray for pocket dimensions and standalone instances! I will definitely make my own modded dimensions in the future as soon as I get this whole pixel art and monster animating thing down! :V

Hatsya Souji likes this.