Dig a little deeper!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Armagon

Armagon Gameplay Design, Sound & Dungeon Guy Chucklefish

Armagon submitted a new blog post:

Dig a little deeper!

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. MSJesterkid

MSJesterkid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Nyahahaha! First!
    (It looks great, by the way ;))

3. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

This is awesome! I REALLY like exploring underground, because you get the thrill of gambling (exploring with no guaranteed reward) and it makes it that much more awesome when you strike it rich!

Also, I like the easter egg in the picture. If you look closely in the Floran microdungeon, you can spot a Hylotl doll.

Hint: it's in the fire

Thundercraft, blobjim and Ponjkl like this.
  4. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Yeah, I'm gonna have a little trouble with my mod's TV sets and such. As in, difficulty trouble, not possibility.

5. drakd

drakd Void-Bound Voyager

What do you mean exactly by the structure of tier 2?

6. Ponjkl

Ponjkl Subatomic Cosmonaut

I can't find the easter egg.

Question: Lights by default are on or off?
    Suggestion: Make some minidungeons that make you wonder what the hell happened there

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  7. Spacebeard the Pirate

Spacebeard the Pirate Void-Bound Voyager

We must go...DEEPER!

8. dhxmg

dhxmg Scruffy Nerf-Herder

With this new lighting system, would it be possible to get lit wall (back-wall)?

If so, that would be awesome, also, I have to say, really nice work, the lights look really good now <3

Tamorr likes this.
  9. Jafetgx

Jafetgx Phantasmal Quasar

Whoa.... Really this is beautiful :O

I was just talking to a friend about how Starbound really gets that "exploring an alien world" vibe, it really makes you feel stranded and surviving, specially on those dangerous nights.

Now finding an abandoned lab, and turning on lights to explore/them being turned as i explore really adds to this vibe.

Great work, this is something i didn't really notice how much impact it can have on gameplay until i saw it in your vid!

Looks great.

Xxen13 and Kawa like this.
  10. The TV and Alarm looked friggin amazing!

Zaturi and bounding star like this.
  11. SweenMachine

SweenMachine Big Damn Hero

Atmosphere is a huge aspect of a game like Starbound, and you guys are establishing it perfectly :)

12. Xxen13

Xxen13 Aquatic Astronaut

13. Brassqund

Brassqund Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Dungeon change and on/off light source.
    Yeah.

14. Proydoha

Proydoha Phantasmal Quasar

Super awesome super update.

Imagine stepping into abandoned facility and flipping the light switch.

Ponjkl likes this.
  15. Ipix

Ipix Void-Bound Voyager

Very cool update!
    Toggleable lighting is going to add a lot of flavor to people's builds.

I think the answer to whether to make [object] wireable should always be if possible, yes please.
    Somewhere way down the line director mode will hopefully become a thing and people will start making sprawling adventure dungeons.
    This kind of detail is going to add a whole new dimension of atmosphere to play with.

16. Jedi65

Jedi65 Void-Bound Voyager

Super excited, underground exploration has always been lackluster to me, nice to see some more motivation to dig around coming along!

Xxen13 likes this.
  17. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

That alarm siren would complement a prison break nicely.

18. Stalkish Cockatiel

Stalkish Cockatiel Existential Complex

The TV's lighting was great, except I think it should be a tad darker and not as concentrated. As it is right now, looks like a giant flood light.

19. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Glad to see the underground is finally getting some much needed love.
    It isn't just micro-dungeons that were lacking to be fair though.

Would be nice if there were more lively micro biomes. - A few Spides biomes
    A few Ant Biomes. Mole people Biomes, Dwarven Biomes. So many cool little nick nacks to make underground all that more interesting.

Shame it can't be tied to surface biomes.

20. Armagon

Armagon Gameplay Design, Sound & Dungeon Guy Chucklefish

Pretty much precisely what it sounds like. We collaborated to come up with the overall objective for players to work towards in tier 2, what they will have to do in order to accomplish that objective, what we can do to mix up the gameplay for that tier (introducing new gameplay elements, for instance). I'd share more, but it's nice to keep some things a surprise. :)
    This idea was discussed when the dungeon system was first conceived. As cool as it would be to have multiple layers of depth in our dungeons hidden away from plain view, it ultimately was axed due to the nature of it being at odds with how you interact with the rest of the world on a singular layer. Adding such a feature at this late stage would add a great deal to our already sizable workload, and require rebuilding a lot of our existing dungeons from scratch. Unfortunately it's just not practical.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your suggestion with me!

Tamorr, Sageheart and Kawa like this.