Combat testing 24th June

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2014
  2. Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Awesome! I see birds are still obnoxious to fight.

3. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

Awesome, and the Battle BGMs' existence is somewhat justified as the battles won't be a mere slash and run-fest anymore.

4. Midnight

Midnight Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wow I'm loving the new combat system! Pretty cool, keep up the good work!

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  5. Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

They will once you get weapons strong enough to OHKO monsters again.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  6. Midnight

Midnight Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Pretty intuitive actually, and now I can call that a real combat, not just spaming the left mouse. You have to actually block, and use timing aswell.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  7. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

I hope there'll be adaptive monsters, or should I say that scale alongside your players' stats.

Midnight likes this.
  8. Ramones_fan

Ramones_fan Pangalactic Porcupine

more likely with threat level of the planet.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  9. I noticed that a sound now plays whenever a monster spots you?
    As soon as this update is out, someone needs to make a mod where that sound is replaced by this:

I also noticed that there seemed to be a lot of projectiles. I hope there are some more interesting special attacks or features than just a different kind of projectile for each head.

Kyasupah, MechaSphinx and Darklight like this.
  10. Pokerbat

Pokerbat Space Spelunker

Pretty cool, some definite improvements over the current combat system.

Is it just me though, or is combat lacking a certain....'oompf'? A certain satisfaction or something, I'm unsure how to describe it. I realise the combat is far from done, but I think the weapons lack a real sense of weight or the actual hits feel slightly odd.

Custardsquare and Lecic like this.
  11. lupadim

lupadim Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm starting to get impatient, any info on when there will be an update?

12. Nimeni

Nimeni Big Damn Hero

Off to never never land....exit light, enter night....As i am going to bed (i hope you catch my hint)
    On-topic: It's really nice to see all of these improvements! (but hurry with the update!)

Paco495 likes this.
  13. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

Shields seem very powerful against certain types of monsters and very fragile against others (mainly the ones that spam projectiles), is this intentional? Because at some point (around 35:22 vs the NPCs) you were almost continuously able to hold the shield up and it wouldn't get damaged at all, seems overpowered.

Also, how many attacks can a long-sword repel before releasing the shield button? Or is it infinite and will there be a cool-down instead when releasing it?

14. You could back up your stable/unstable build and try out the nightly builds?

15. Cost

Cost Subatomic Cosmonaut

I was glad to see a broadsword for the demo, cause I'm not a huge fan of the "1-handed weapon/shield" combo. I mainly use broadswords and hammers so it is nice to find out what kind of blocking system will be implemented for them. And it looks nice, indeed.

16. Cost

Cost Subatomic Cosmonaut

Sorry but you mean these things ARE in nightly builds?

17. No, I was addressing @lupadim 's impatience, but I would expect these combat changes to be in the nightly builds much quicker than they would be in the unstable or stable build due to the nature of the nightly builds, if that makes sense.
    Granted, more things will be expected to be broken also, but there's more capacity to see new features and test them before they're pushed to the unstable and stable branches.

18. Ssj782

Ssj782 Cosmic Narwhal

I think the video would be more useful if he wasn't invincible the whole time. I saw so many hits that he didn't block at all. Any player tried that, we'd be teleporting down repeatedly, several pixels poorer.

19. Brassqund

Brassqund Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

He put a normal armor after a time.

Nice job for the combat. I need to try it.

20. Cost

Cost Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thanks for the info Finn ;)
    I really have to try out the nightly builds.

Finn Learson likes this.