June 18th - Let's get to building!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Armagon

Armagon Gameplay Design, Sound & Dungeon Guy Chucklefish

mollygos submitted a new blog post:

June 18th - Let's get to building!

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2014
  2. Jecandy

Jecandy Aquatic Astronaut

Nice to see your progress guys! Loving these daily updates

3. Darth Nihilus

Darth Nihilus Void-Bound Voyager

Please i want the update ! can you make snapshots like minecraft but less bugy

4. megakruemel

megakruemel Subatomic Cosmonaut

This seems really good! I am really looking forward to the finished outpost.
    As far as it is now, i am pretty sure there are a lot of people which do too.

5. NightCat

NightCat Void-Bound Voyager

Could a small piece of code and a few graphical elements to allow for more random layouts above ground? I'm thinking perhaps you could add corner supports and girders or columns to support corridors and rooms that reach outward from the main core of the building. That way you could allow for a bit of randomisation from the sides of an above ground structure where hallways and rooms could extend beyond the original width and above the surface without lacking that logical structural support. The key could have joint sections along the sides or roof that could add either a new room, hallway, or a chance at something like balconies or roof terraces.

I think something like this could work particularly well with buildings like the outpost where the main bulk would, I assume, be created from prefabricated containers stacked up together (perhaps dropshipped in) and then extra bits and pieces would need to be added on as and when possible/needed. This would naturally give such a structure a more higgledy-piggledy appearance and shape along with the sense that it's been in place for some time and has been modified by the inhabitants.

Lady Lurkin likes this.
  6. Ado

Ado Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Nice!

7. Aeolipyle

Aeolipyle Space Spelunker

These Outposts are looking great! They are so far my favorite structures that will be in Starbound. I can't wait to use the Outpost tileset to make my own space base.

8. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

This "neighbor-aware rendering" I see in the Outpost Wall definition is very intriguing.

9. Brassqund

Brassqund Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Look awesome.

Uzkniso likes this.
  10. Silen_7

Silen_7 Orbital Explorer

Don't rush em, if you want good, constant blog updates + a good well-thought-out game when it gets updated/released, that is.

Mojang has an advantage because they have a large team with a huge backing (and pretty much everyone and their mother knows what MC is) and they aren't moving offices.

So PLEASE! For the love of god, can you people please stop mithering them.

Although I'm sure they're happy for your input :)

Zael, Gindew and Kabu like this.
  11. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

There... There's so much wrong with you asking for that.

Well, really only one thing, but it is a massive thing.
    They're doing the best they can. Asking for more has been done SO MANY TIMES, but nothing has come of it. It won't help to ask again.
    Not only that, BUT THEY ARE DOING THAT. They have "Nightly" builds running. Download those if you REALLY need to.

Zael, Gindew, Korzun and 1 other person like this.
  12. Windcaller

Windcaller Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is very interesting!

Uzkniso likes this.
  13. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

And then regret ever being so impatient :)

Zael, Ado, Gindew and 4 others like this.
  14. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Yay! This looks awesome. Thanks for the update, these make it easier (and yet harder) to wait.

Is there any chance you make some outposts "gloomy" by design, with less lighting? And maybe others could be "Well-Lit" and have lanterns or lights in every room by every wall? I think that would be a pretty neat contrast.

15. Zouleena

Zouleena Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm all twitterpated with these lovely designs- the way you're sharing your process and how you see each level of creation. True artists, you are. As an artist myself, I really dig the "in-progress" updates- WIP's are so intriguing!

... and, PICTURES!!!

:up:

16. TheTrueArtisan

TheTrueArtisan Subatomic Cosmonaut

While having a randomized Outpost does bring the sense of differences between star systems and planet groups, it also raises an issue with me. Let's say that you find an Outpost planet and are looking for a specific shop. Due to the randomization of the Outpost, is there a chance that a specific shop won't be in the Outpost?
    Also, with the Outpost planet, will the entire planet just be a small asteroid in space, a regular asteroid belt with an Outpost in the middle, or an entire planet with the Outpost (and maybe more) on it?

17. [pixelmonster]

[pixelmonster] Big Damn Hero

Interesting...
    Wouldn't have thought the dungeon layout would take so much thought...

Outposts look cool, Cant wait to visit 'em!

I think that Outposts are supposed to be like a city dungeon stretched across an entire planet. In which case you have a couple thousand blocks and a couple hundred dungeon segments, the odds of finding what you're looking for are pretty good. Also I think a lot of the dungeons try to place at least one of every block. Its not like minecraft where villages may or may not have blacksmith shops. I don't think you need to worry about that :D

18. network618

network618 Void-Bound Voyager

this is so cool, having the outposts and stuff but it would be awesome if you could land your ship and then enter the outpost. who agrees?

Zael likes this.
  19. Lucario

Lucario Void-Bound Voyager

Speaking of such have you come up with a way to make it where you can breath inside with out the O2 tank but not outside?

Zael likes this.
  20. Wintorn

Wintorn Phantasmal Quasar

Please, for the love of God, tell me that the giant shipping container has a giant storage capacity.

Lucario likes this.