June 13th - Specialization

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Jun 13, 2014.

1. metadept

metadept Mostly Harmless Codesman

metadept submitted a new blog post:

June 13th - Specialization

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Catoosie

Catoosie Heliosphere

Great point with the grab/gust/gravity slam moves not adding to the experience. It's just something to avoid, not something to try to counter.

3. Inco

Inco Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That first ability doesn't look destructive enough. Take note:

[​IMG]

I hope the burrow ability you're considering has a maximum block depth. If a player wants to keep a normal mob out, they should be able to.

4. bbq1040

bbq1040 Big Damn Hero

I like the idea od monsters being able to burrow into player housing. It gives a reason to build with better materials. However most monsters should not have this ability because it would get annoying. Maybe if it was a trait randomly given to any monster it woyld keep players on their toes while also keeping it an uncommon occurrance.

Aer_ and BlueSmoke like this.
  5. Brassqund

Brassqund Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

That's sound awesome!
    The combat will become so great now!
    Would you add some monsters able to hide an ambush players?

Swirly likes this.
  6. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

This looks really cool, i especially like the charge ability! I'm looking forward to whatever you guys come up with.

7. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

Or perhaps certain blocks can't be dug through?

Or maybe they can implement that master planet control device they were thinking about, just replace all the planet's species with happy smiling one's that barf rainbows.

8. Proydoha

Proydoha Phantasmal Quasar

Monster that can dig a hole, hide in it and then mask it with some blocks that will break when anybody step on it!

Swirly and RatixFarrence like this.
  9. MajorLeafClover

MajorLeafClover Orbital Explorer

would be nice to see an actual update.

Jeoshua likes this.
  10. Lazer

Lazer Existential Complex

I've been thinking it would be great if in the end product, mobs had some behaviors unrelated to combat and unrelated to the player character at all. Seeing the talk of mobs using terrain, digging etc, reminded me of that.

I think it would add a lot of credibility to the idea of exploring space if you'd run across flying mobs swooping back and forth as if hunting insects or some quadrupeds playing leap-frog, or other funny little behaviors like that. Maybe only non-hostiles would do these kinds of things, since hostiles would have to stop as soon as you get close anyway.

Obviously, this is probably something you wouldn't want to put effort in to until after combat is solid and polished, but the update came kind of close to the subject, so I thought I'd mention it.

11. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

I hope you're able to capture them. It'll be like an extra miner buddy.

jonathonspy likes this.
  12. Ashgan

Ashgan Subatomic Cosmonaut

anyone else first thought of the zerg when they read burrow?

danysor likes this.
  13. dkdeath

dkdeath Contact!

I'm not sure I find anything wrong with monsters being able to destroy player-built structures and lay siege to my base.

1. Certain blocks already require more effort to mine through. I would expect a dirt-and-wood fort be much less secure than a bunker out of steel and concrete.

2. A planet with higher difficulty should have more settlement risks. If I build a base on a high-risk planet I would love to see extreme weather conditions, variable acid/lava flow, earthquakes, meteors, volcanoes, and giant monsters that can level mountains. Challenge of securing your construction on such a planet would only make a game more exciting. (it would also be awesome to fight a monster so big you have to climb it to do any damage)

3. This would make a good differentiation between sandbox mode and survival modes. Hardcore perma-death mode would be made more exciting if a large pack of beasties were able to roam in and undo an hour-worth of building/gardening, putting the player in danger of starvation.

superpacmaniac, XRiZUX and Aer_ like this.
  14. davidlolcat

davidlolcat Subatomic Cosmonaut

Very very very neat. I love that you are taking the time to carefully hone the monster ai. Its really important so that the game feels more immersive. Variety makes things interesting. Keep it up!

15. jonathonspy

jonathonspy Existential Complex

i like the burrow ability. what if there is a block that heals after you break it?
    e.g. you make a tunnel that closes behind you?

also, ive been wanting some sort of burrowing (either players or mobs) for a while now, its nie to see it being implimented

Swirly and dkdeath like this.
  16. bobucles

bobucles Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Burrowing is a very important ability for monsters to avoid abuse from the matter manipulator. It doesn't have to destroy ALL the intervening blocks(damaging them would help show their progress through the dirt), all it has to do is get the monster from point A to point B.

Of course, bosses should totally smash blocks that get in their way. It's far too easy to trap them in a little box.

jonathonspy likes this.
  17. Milan Mree

Milan Mree Ketchup Robot

Well if you're going to take them out then I hope you rethink them and put them back in since they are quite interesting.(referring to gravity slam, gust, etc) The game will only be more dull without them. (though I doubt they'll come back.)

Thundercraft, jonathonspy and dkdeath like this.
  18. bobucles

bobucles Scruffy Nerf-Herder

A player who has flying tech or a grapple gun can easily escape from abilities that push them around. So why worry? If the player can escape, the only issue is figuring out what threat level these so called "loss of control" abilities begin to show up.

Thundercraft, jonathonspy and dkdeath like this.
  19. Will Liferider

Will Liferider Ketchup Robot

I think that monsters should actually be attracted to settlements. It would be so cool to go off adventuring, and come back to find a platypus squirrel sleeping on a nest of eggs.

jonathonspy likes this.
  20. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

i am unsure what to make of some of the comments.... but as for the post it all sounds really good to hear, although I am one to actually like that psychic gravity thing. Sure at first seems like a run around, but the mobs I had encountered always had a secondary attack. I could still maneuver to some degree. I do understand why it was taken out temporarily most likely. Maybe could be improved a bit and possibly fit somewhere else. bipedal creatures seem more likely to have a slight chance to have that anyhow. Like vodoo. well just my thoughts on that specific one.

Most the rest I actually like; burrow though I really can hope that player blocks don't get messed with too much. I do like some survival aspects, but if something like that was too often and broke placed ones that are part of structures too much that might become a pain to repair & be total annoyance rather than it being part of survival. I do like the ability and some of the ideas spouted above of that specific one, just as mentioned finding a balance with each and every ability, attack, and defensive actions among other actions that might come around if needed or wanted. :)

jonathonspy likes this.