June 9th: Chairs, Beds & Monsters

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Armagon

Armagon Gameplay Design, Sound & Dungeon Guy Chucklefish

mollygos submitted a new blog post:

June 9th: Chairs, Beds & Monsters

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2014
    Zouleena, _Defender_, Chompy and 4 others like this.
  2. Inco

Inco Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Anything is better than constant dog and chicken noises.

Titanium, Yzzey, Thundercraft and 4 others like this.
  3. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

With Starbound's world generation engine, you don't need to stay cooped up in a dog kennel OR a chicken coop. Feel free to explore the entire universe!

Titanium, legodude2 and JoeBlk like this.
  4. Daëglin

Daëglin Void-Bound Voyager

Maybe if NPCs cant see you (Humans, humanoids), they they cant be speaking some sort of faint gibberish, like the NPC's in Animals Crossing. Another idea is when entering a town, you could have a themed background noise for each character town such as oriental for future Hylotl towns, ominous music for Apex towns, weird tribal music for Floran towns, etc.

WombatLover, Jedi65, ggh325 and 15 others like this.
  5. TopazofLazuli

TopazofLazuli Subatomic Cosmonaut

THANK THE STARS WE HAVE A FIX FOR CHAIRS

THE OCD IN ME IS PLEASED BY THIS

good work chucklefish keep on going

MechaSphinx and JoeBlk like this.
  6. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Well if you can find more monstrous sounds, or ones that can give the appearance thereof that would be nice. Like some a raptor shriek or gurgle. Sounds that make each of the monsters seem more part of the wild while in a way sounding more foreign mixed with some that are similarly familiar. In my opinion that is what the wild is, foreign to be explored and/or conquered.

It is what I think.

good to hear things coming along in the immersion for position on some objects with secondary actions. Nothing like seeing an offset floran bits through parts of it that don't make sense or just look weird. Wondering if laying down could be made so armor would still be on you with certain bed like items, namely the ones without covers of some kind. (ie torture table or sacrificial altar)

Thank you for you time. :D

Thundercraft, legodude2 and JoeBlk like this.
  7. HoodieNinja_7

HoodieNinja_7 Pangalactic Porcupine

All these people talking about sounds and I'm just sitting here with a computer with a no sound card.

8. TopazofLazuli

TopazofLazuli Subatomic Cosmonaut

inb4 Wizard of Oz joke btw

Chompy likes this.
  9. Zurgh

Zurgh Void-Bound Voyager

Yes! It's sometimes the little things like that (chairs & bed misalignment) that are just minor irritations, but enough to break immersion. Thank you!

While I find the current barnyard animal sounds from aliens amusing once in a while, more diverse sounds would be awesome!

I'm not suggesting getting rid of them altogether (they are occasionally funny, especially when you encounter some vicious creature that suddenly bleats like a lamb before trying to eat your face) but some other (and a lot more) sounds would definitely add to the experience.

Chittering, chattering, grunting, chirping, gurgling, gargling, whooping, tweeting, buzzing, crunching, grinding, tooting, yodeling, thumping, croaking, gibbering, slobbery gnashing, belching, trilling, coughing, chuckling ... (not an exhaustive list.)

Perhaps some more 'normal' animal sounds played in reverse and tweaked a bit?

10. SteelSoldier

SteelSoldier Existential Complex

Something horrific and similar to dead space would be amazing, but I wouldnt mind some humorous sounds on a few monsters, but night should be scary as hell

11. Darkmere

Darkmere Zero Gravity Genie

Eh, I'll take an actual shot and suggestions then.

Sound texture and tonality would be defined by three primary things: Creature size, throat shape, and head shape. Secondary properties would grow from those based on a creature type's social dynamic and behavioral patterns. Let's start with the first point.

If you define a soundset based on the generated body parts of the creature, you can make a rough picture of what you'll want in terms of creature voicing characteristics in general. A large quadrupedal reptile would be loud and threatening. If they have a long neck and large head, you'll want a throaty bellow with hollow tonality that carries well. A large biped with shorter neck but a large head would still need the same general voicing, with more flat tone. A small mammalian quadruped would squeak... birds squawk.

If you want more character to individual creatures, you need to take into account their social behavior. Large solitary predator types need to be imposing and direct with the PLAYER, but largely ambivalent to each other (or territorial, if you choose). Smaller animals or herbivores likely follow a herd mentality and need more fleshed out interaction with each other, preferably with a defined behavior set that lets them vocalize when in a group or make distress calls when threatened. There's more that could be done but it goes beyond sound design into a more robust behavior scripting problem... "is one of my species attacked? If I hear a distress call I should repeat it to call for help/warn others to seek shelter." with behavior attached to vocal properties determined by the creature style that the generator spit out. "Someone's in danger, the rest of us should seek out a dark place to group up for defense and hide."

No idea how this fits in the scope of the changes, but that's what comes to mind.

12. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Why not put old Microphone sounds to NPCs?

Sounds simple enough to implement,and giberish enough to sound funny and it sorta fits.

Just a though

13. HoodieNinja_7

HoodieNinja_7 Pangalactic Porcupine

Maybe for NPC sounds avians could make... idk... birdlike noises, florans could hiss, hylotls might make a noise like a flowing stream, glitch could click and humans would have little bits of gibberish or something

MechaSphinx, legodude2 and JoeBlk like this.
  14. JoeBlk

JoeBlk Star Wrangler

Hi all,

Armagon in my opinion, sound effects/voices should be categorised by species and their sub-category/sub-variation. This is what i know from most games. What about sound-system/engine? Is there a good/proper location based sound? In many games this is not working, you can not realy say where the enemy sound/voice is comming from (apporx).

legodude2 likes this.
  15. adminium

adminium Orbital Explorer

I like the idea of having procedurally-generated sounds. Suppose each body part has an associated "sub-sound" - something simple, that will be combined & layered with all the other associated sounds for that mob - so that the vocalizations are just as procedurally-generated as the way it looks.

• Every mob has its own unique vocalizations, to go with its own unique image
    • The sound will give clues about what type of animal it is (especially useful in unlit caves)

(On second thought, there would probably have to be at least 2 sub-sounds for each part - one for passive mode and one for offensive... unless the same sound can be stretched out into a roar...)

16. Cizalto

Cizalto Aquatic Astronaut

For monsters sounds ideas. I remember of this:

[​IMG]

And i think of Monster Hunter monster roar. So check this for idea.

Or this can be more interessting for alien monster sounds:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    Calvihern, blobjim, Dragonith and 2 others like this.
  17. jambox5

jambox5 Big Damn Hero

JoeBlk likes this.
  18. squirrel_killer-

squirrel_killer- Sandwich Man

For monster sounds I think they should have a "cry" similar to the way all the various Pokemon have. Have this linked to the head, the increase or lower the pitch based on monster size. Have them randomly make small sounds shared between a lot of monsters when they are not not aggravated.

Keep the unique cry for when they begin battle, as well as during battle occasionally for intimidation, followed by a sudden flurry of attacks to tear apart the player during a short frenzy. This could not only improve the immersion of sound, but link it to the monster behaviour in a natural sounding and feeling way. This would really improve the environment, creature immersion, and combat.

19. Rossomak

Rossomak Void-Bound Voyager

Monster Hunter roars are epic. Please, no more horse, dog and goat sounds.

JoeBlk likes this.
  20. ApisRex

ApisRex Subatomic Cosmonaut

I am so, so, SO looking forward to the fart noises attached to some monster attacks/roars going away.

JoeBlk likes this.