June 4: Monster Attacks!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Jun 4, 2014.

1. metadept

metadept Mostly Harmless Codesman

metadept submitted a new blog post:

June 4: Monster Attacks!

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Windcaller, AdenSword, Tamorr and 7 others like this.
  2. demanrisu

demanrisu The Original Agaran Menace NPC

AIR BLOOD VOMIT is still a thing, right?

3. Esahc_

Esahc_ Cosmic Narwhal

I'm really glad you guys are focusing so much on monster ai and combat. When I first played starbound that was the thing I was worried about the most.

SidCoalman, legodude2 and blobjim like this.
  4. metadept

Absolutely. In fact, we've been exploring some other similarly surprising/horrific/ridiculous/silly attacks in that same vein...

Aer_, legodude2, ShinyPants and 11 others like this.
  5. demanrisu

Thank goodness. I feel like AIR BLOOD VOMIT is an iconic, irreplaceable part of Starbound. I'd be lost without it!

6. Inco

Inco Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Did.. did it realise it left the gas on?

[​IMG]

7. demanrisu

"ahh crap, brb. i'M NOT DONE WITH YOU YET, stay RIGHT where you are"

legodude2, ShinyPants, Jonesy and 4 others like this.
  8. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Hm this plasma arc or whatever it is looks pretty accurate if you ask me. Is there any kind of "prediction" mechanisms in yet which allow mobs to sorta counter very evasive players?

legodude2 likes this.
  9. extremist

extremist Existential Complex

That seems to be sooo cool!

10. metadept

Every monster now has a job, a home and a family to provide for, all fully detailed in our state-of-the-art AI simulation. You may notice monsters breaking off combat to pick the kids up after baseball practice, answer phone calls from supervisors, or grab some groceries from the store real quick because it's almost dinnertime and there's food in the fridge but not really enough to make any complete meal out of so maybe they'll just buy some ground beef and tortillas and call it taco night.

11. Ado

Ado Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Hahahahaha!Great job guys!:)

12. [​IMG]

Aer_, Inco, Ssstabbounder and 37 others like this.
  13. Doctor Stein

Doctor Stein Subatomic Cosmonaut

And so the rapid evolution of Starbound ensues =3

blobjim likes this.
  14. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

Duckbilled goatapus uses water beam! It's super effective!!!

15. Beautiful.

16. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

I love it!! The old effects for attacks looked so boring.

Now it just needs particle effects and it'll look amazing.

17. Aegis J Hyena

Aegis J Hyena Existential Complex

Is this stuff currently live or just still up and coming (I haven't played for a few months, waiting for the sectors to be refactored to one universe)?

18. It's live on the developer's end, but it's still not out officially for everyone else.

19. enkrypter

enkrypter Void-Bound Voyager

I'd like to see drone companions that buzz around your head and fight with you and you can level up. Would be great for dealing consistent damage in fights. I'm thinking small flying drones that shoot lasers like a personal flying defense turret. either keep them as like a pet you can level up or as an ability that you can smash in a fight to unleash a whole pack of them on the enemy to do a high amount of burst damage in a fight. (ability with cool-down.) Maybe you'd need certain tech level's to acquire more powerful versions of them?

Or maybe even your drone is your primary damage source. Automated hitting and damaging on the enemies, but you still have to use shields to evade damage. Maybe a drone weapon can only be equipped with a two handed shield, or shield generator that would encapsulate you in a shield bubble. Gives players an alternate way to fight. instead of fighting offensively, you switch all the mechanics to defense while your drone does all the DPS.

I see lots of possibilities with personal drones, drone weapons, and defense mechanics.

BTW, why are there no sniper rifles in the game? I want a sniper rifle! I wanna head-shot stuff from across the screen.

I also would like to see a scouting droid companion. Maybe, after a certain tech level, late-game, I could have a droid that I could deploy on a planet surface to scout for me and tell me the distance and direction to the nearest loot chests or dungeons. Might be cool.

Love all your work so far guys. Just tossing out ideas.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    Idlemind and birdlover143 like this.
  20. Neleos

Neleos Title Not Found

the duck one is like "oh I'm gonna kill ya, take this! (Blocked) Ok! Take this! (1 Damage) Well, have a nice day sir! *runs away*"