June 3rd: Mixing it up!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Armagon

Armagon Gameplay Design, Sound & Dungeon Guy Chucklefish

Armagon submitted a new blog post:

June 3rd: Mixing it up!

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Aer_, Tamorr, Weyen and 10 others like this.
  2. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Outposts? Outposts!

Also, perhaps you guys could leverage the community a bit and consider something like Starstructor?

ProkhorVLG likes this.
  3. pumapardo

pumapardo Void-Bound Voyager

Where can I find the others key-images?

4. liack

liack Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm just curious: as far as dungeons/maps go, wouldn't developing a "map editor" make sense/save time?
    I'm not sure how the "key" file works now (it was my understanding then that the image only worked for modders' reference sheet, while the ".dungeon" file included the various "RGB color = asset + facing"), as I used to check them before the compacting into databases.

A map editor could create the dungeon file with an asset selection, and facing, and assign a color not currently used in the so-called dungeon file. The issues would be to make a color selection pane (which could include the currently referenced asset in a tooltip), and potentially a renderer to preview the changes.

Aegis J Hyena likes this.
  5. Sese

Sese Pangalactic Porcupine

Please add as many new objects / tiles as you can, as an architect can't wait for them!
    I'm looking forward to learn more about building and renting out houses. Thanks!

6. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Oh, Armagon. The community doesn't want the key to the outposts, they want the key to your heart. :love:
    not creepy at all...

Anyway, Avian dungeons are awesome, but have you given any thought about structure templates, or something like what you're doing as an in-game feature? For example, I make a room (similar to how you make a Key) and then I want to copy/paste that same room, but maybe with a different color or block type. Would something like that be doable, or only in Director / Dev mode?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  7. Sese

Sese Pangalactic Porcupine

Also is this a working waterfall? Does the water refill / empty itself somehow?

8. SlicedAndDiced

SlicedAndDiced Void-Bound Voyager

Okay, Now i understand how the dungeons generates it self

9. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I would like to see when the same colour Key is used, it picks between one of the objects using that key colour.

For example if i define #4ce199 for Desk 1, Desk 2, Desk 3, Desk 4.
    It chooses 1 of the 4 desks for the spot. If #4ce199 is used in multiple places it keeps switching between the 4.

So the only limitation would just be the size of the objects should just be the same.
    Would make things a bit more varied.

Doctor Devil and Kawa like this.
  10. davidbfgday

davidbfgday Space Spelunker

are the ships part of the game completed?

11. [pixelmonster]

[pixelmonster] Big Damn Hero

Yeah, I seem to remember hearing something about the amount of layers in the dinosaurs' sounds in Jurassic Park. Lots of animal noises you wouldn't even think would be required... :)

12. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Outpooosts! Dungeooons! Nice work.

All current ones are located in the assets, in the dungeons folder. Key images are in the folders of their respective dungeons.

1nfinitezer0 and pumapardo like this.
  13. Musetrigger

Musetrigger Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Hey now, a guy could get used to this layout. Cheers.

Certainly easier than placing one block after the other, I reckon.

14. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

Can you make it so it has a chance to spawn a chest full of loot and stuff at the bottom of the water [​IMG]
    good work by the way:up:

15. Musetrigger

Musetrigger Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Perhaps the quality of the chest's contents could vary from the depth of the chest? So if it does have a chance to spawn here in this room, it'll have to be located very deep within the crust to be more those are golden cookies I swear to Kluex I think the Avian's are into exponential growth games.

The Last Soloer likes this.
  16. Windcaller

Windcaller Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is lovely!

17. IvoryOwl

IvoryOwl Pangalactic Porcupine

Maan, I'm loving the Avian architecture and decos. I'm just fascinated by anything reminiscent of ancient Egypt and the Avians are right there.

18. Hanfree

Hanfree Big Damn Hero

Good work good desing

19. Lord Kain

Lord Kain Ketchup Robot

I just love that waterfall and I simply can't wait to be able to build my own ingame.

20. Armagon

Armagon Gameplay Design, Sound & Dungeon Guy Chucklefish

It would on my end, certainly. Unfortunately we only have so many programmers, and each of them already have an awful lot of tasks on their plate without adding a fully-functioning toolset to the mix.
    Unfortunately, Starstructor isn't feature-complete enough to really be workable without keys yet. There's a number of elements the interface lacks and there's no ability to really go in-depth with dungeon rules and spawning behaviour yet. I reached out to Kel directly and provided him with as much information as I could to speed things along, as it is obviously in my best interest to have a toolset. He's done some truly fantastic work in a very short time, but sadly he's had to focus on his studies which are far more important at this point in his life. This is why he made the program open-source to the community, in case any other coders would want to continue his work. It's a big task that really needs a dedicated programmer on it in order to make any significant headway, and I cannot in good conscience ask that of anyone while offering nothing in return.
    This is something we've wanted to do for a while, and hopefully still will at some point, but again it's a question of programmers. Right now our priority is getting the core game in place, hence the focus on progression which is a key component of that. Once we have a completed progression, we'll look at all the other things we want to add and figure out what is most beneficial to the game and our players at that time. It's largely a side effect of Starbound far exceeding our initially envisioned scope.
    This is possible. I've made such things happen in the Floran Hunting Grounds for instance. Once I've finished the design of a room, I can make an alternate object layout for it (ie. re-arranging the location and selection of decorations, traps, containers, etc) and assign it a chance of appearing. I can also set rules on whether that room can appear if another version of that room has already been put in the dungeon.

In the case of the Hunting Grounds, I made a second version of the spike pit rooms that for all intents and purposes was the same, but added a chest, then gave that room a 50/50 chance of appearing (assuming it's picked from the pool of available parts in the first place), and then set rules on any other rooms that may contain chests to not be used if a chest room has already been placed elsewhere. These rules gives me a lot of flexibility to control the way a dungeon generated, so I'm looking forward to adding more parts to the existing ones down the line and fleshing them out more so they can become as varied as the Avian Temple (the very first I put together).

There's only so much I can do on my own unfortunately, so it might be a while, especially with me juggling other tasks as well. I'll try my best to make the wait worth it!