May 19th 2014: What we did today.

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by GeorgeV, May 19, 2014.

1. GeorgeV

GeorgeV Art Director

mollygos submitted a new blog post:

May 19th 2014: What we did today.

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
  2. drakodra

drakodra Void-Bound Voyager

this looks awesome and it would make a bit more sense to have the ability to beam up to your ship with someone actually still in there...

edit: oh and apparently i am the first :D

3. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Give me HAL! Oh yes please. Making the questing interface more immersive like this and linking upgrades to it. That's a superb idea!

4. Inco

Inco Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Looks fantastic. As long as it isn't [​IMG] or [​IMG] .

Just saying.

5. Oh god, oh no. ;_;
    It definitely won't be like Mr. Paperclip or Jar Jar Binks.

6. IvoryOwl

IvoryOwl Pangalactic Porcupine

Yes please. Anything that adds depth to the characters we meet along the way is a fine addition. Is it possible that the "depth" we get from a character may be also related to their relevance? I wouldn't expect a random villager to be a "memorable character" in terms of "opportunities" and interactions as, say, a village doctor or even a mayor (but if its implemented as well I wouldn't complain) :p

Is it also possible that we will be able to meet other "outsiders" that have been banished or exiled from their own society?

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  7. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

the Human AI should be snarky and mocking you for bringing on the tentacle pet that killed everyone else

8. artesox

artesox Void-Bound Voyager

The system itself sounds pretty interesting. A lively starship could add a lot to this game.

Daldril likes this.
  9. Daldril

Daldril Subatomic Cosmonaut

I am joining in with the request for HAL, but only when we get to have the great music from R.Strauss in the background at the same time. A second thought comes to mind - and I get scared, I DON'T want to have IBM controlling my ship and eventually beam me up, but only in the airless shiplocker or the empty cryogen chamber!

10. dkdeath

dkdeath Contact!

This looks like an awesome idea. It would make random beginning quests that teach interface and game concepts less awkward. I always felt a little odd that I couldn't just raid my own ship/computer for those few hundred reward pixels rather than jumping through hoops to hunt and cook.

Edit: If we get to name them, I am calling mine Alfred.

11. evilnancyreagan

evilnancyreagan Pangalactic Porcupine

actually having this NPC ' partner as the ships computer would make a heck of a lot more sense. It would explain why your partner is content to stay in the same place, never eating/ sleeping or wanting to live a life of of their own.

The alternative is that the being is a simpleton unable to do the aforementioned or, that we have some form of ownership over them and we do not permit them to do said things. It's a fine line when implementing NPC companions and often carries undertones of slavery.

Silican Beat likes this.
  12. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Have you ever seen a show called Andromeda? There the AI of the ship eventually got a mechanical avatar that looked just like any other human. I could see that happening in later tiers for example.

13. Zurgh

Zurgh Void-Bound Voyager

An A.I. or simulated ship persona sound interesting... as long as it doesn't become murderous.

14. evilnancyreagan

evilnancyreagan Pangalactic Porcupine

I think so, perhaps a long times ago, sounds VERY familiar.

That would be a much more inspired solution than the typical lazy implementation of NPCs in games, where these characters are merely semi-mobile signboards with appendages.

If you're going to have a sentient creature in a game then they should have ambitions, motivations, personal agendas and a history.

if you can't add that then just use an inanimate object

15. Bine

Bine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Don't make it a living creature. Make it the ship's AI. It makes a lot more sense for the AI to be equipped enough to plan upgrades ahead of time listing resource requirements or assisting its owner out by specifying how to make important needed items. If its a living breathing person then it takes some of the magic out of exploring the universe yourself. If youw ant a living breathing person then bring a friend along. I'd prefer the quest NPC to be the ships AI though ;p.

16. IvoryOwl

IvoryOwl Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm a bit lost here, what does this "HAL" means?

AI? In whose's ship? It certainly can't be our initial one can it? I consider it a "survival raft" at most. Look at the Floran one, its basically an agglomeration of parts put together(and it is what they do). It would make more sense if we had a "Cortana" with us, maybe in our wrist-watch that happens to be a fully functional tool with communication integrated into it. Maybe we can access the AI from it?

I can see a fully integrated AI in our ship ONCE we actually get the ability to upgrade it.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
    Proangel, Longpig and Enzencho like this.
  17. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

you are unfamiliar with the AI gone psycho known as HAL?

Piccolo likes this.
  18. Bine

Bine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't see why not. My point was to just use an AI. I don't much care where. But honestly, if a ship is capable of interstellar flight (like the floran ship is!) then why can't it have a corrupted AI assisting its new owner? ;p

Enzencho, Piccolo and Darklight like this.
  19. FearlessDave

FearlessDave Space Spelunker

/
    I really like the idea of the ship -BEING- the NPC, give it a little bit more complexity, maybe the ships AI improving with each upgrade, would be nice too since that way you wouldnt have to worry about accidentally slicing it in the face or killing it. Very cool update

20. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

Two news updates in one day? Preposterous!

Glad to see things are getting more active though. :p

Fatman696 likes this.