My progress for May 19th

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, May 19, 2014.

1. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

mollygos submitted a new blog post:

My progress for May 19th

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
    Tamorr, MinimalHermit, Weyen and 20 others like this.
  2. jibbi

jibbi Title Not Found

I expect people to be like: "No! We didnt want to hear about boring stuff. We want gameplay updates and progression thingies!"
    Dont listen to them. I will appreciate every single sort of update from you guys :)

3. Sokina

Sokina Heart of Gold

Back pedaling: Making certain games easier since the dawn of forever. Always nerf backpedaling. Mark my words, everyone. ;-;

Scourger and Dagorran like this.
  4. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Oh my this is starting to sound like a lot of fun~

5. IvoryOwl

IvoryOwl Pangalactic Porcupine

Questions:
    What role does back-pedaling plays in the new combat system? Is a part of any form of combo move? If not, do you have plans for it? For example, if I back-pedal a bit and then dash forwards while attacking, will be I be able break my enemy's blocking stance or maybe even destroy small / thin walls of fragile material (dirt, glass, rotten wood, etc)? The last one may not be that useful since we have mining tools for it but I can see certain situations, special in a pinch during combat, where it could help and maybe even save us from a nasty situation.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
    NiSiSuiinegEht likes this.
  6. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

[sarcasm]OMG Chucklefish is backpedaling! They even admit it![/sarcasm]

Anyway, thanks for letting us know what's going on in your world. We appreciate that...but judging on your name, you probably already knew that.

VexingKitten likes this.
  7. craze0matic

craze0matic Master Chief

As much fun as running backwards at the same speed of forward running is, a penalty will probably be a good idea. Can't realistically outrun something if you're backpedaling, even if it's a fantastical game like Starbound. Nice to hear some news, though I wish the circumstances were better on both sides. Thanks Omni

Enzencho, VexingKitten and Chompy like this.
  8. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Thanks I suppose more detailed answer when I am done interpretating/at home

9. Zurgh

Zurgh Void-Bound Voyager

Yay for progress reports!

Sounds like combat is going to become fun, engaging, and more involved than hack, slash, repeat.

I'll admit that I have little to no understanding of anything technical mentioned, but sense that it was important enough to mention, and probably will benefit the game.

Will such updates on progress become a regular feature? I think that would be nice.

10. Boston

Boston Void-Bound Voyager

Why is it that everything OmnipotentEntity says is just majestic?

Chompy likes this.
  11. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

I remember seeing an Ocarina of Time speedrun where the guy ran backwards for the whole game because it was apparently faster that way. I guess they wanted the game to be easier? :rofl:

12. AxelRantila

AxelRantila Big Damn Hero

Some technical stuff being explained there, but it sounds good to me

13. GamerToons

GamerToons Void-Bound Voyager

Hey Omni. You folks are great and I like the return of the daily updates. I really liked how the team has dealt with our community as a whole and I respect you guys a lot.

Enzencho and Jbeetle like this.
  14. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

Almost missed this post thanks to George V!

15. dkdeath

dkdeath Contact!

Thanks for the news. I'm not sure what to think about the possible change though. I've never noticed anything like this in other modern 2d side-scrollers but then I'm not that hardcore a gamer to notice differences in these types of mechanics.

16. grimhendie

grimhendie Orbital Explorer

Thank you for keeping us up to date on everything that's going on, its really interesting to hear about what's going on and is reassuring as we can see it is being worked on

17. Ceridran

Ceridran Big Damn Hero

Aw, love hearing the little progress notes.

If we had a mini-news section, it'd be perfect.

18. Brassqund

Brassqund Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Those kind of thing can give you an headache...
    continue your good work OmnipotentEntity.
    I think they could do is to make a simple thread and locked it.
    So only them could add stuff.
    But well, having a post for each is not bad too... and we comment when you want ^^

19. IvoryOwl

IvoryOwl Pangalactic Porcupine

I thought about that too, releasing news and locking said threads to avoid possible derails, however I also came to the conclusion that it wouldn't do much since people would probably open 10 different threads to discuss said update... and another 5 flaming at CF for trying to "monopolize" things or "shut them up" about possible negative opinions.

Last edited: May 19, 2014