Part Parameters

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Apr 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

mollygos submitted a new blog post:

Part Parameters

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
  2. the_5hadow

the_5hadow Void-Bound Voyager

there could be some semi robotic / cyborg creatures (that could have laser, gun or electric (it would make more sense) attacks )
    P.S. big fan of your work

3. Rune the Red Panda

Rune the Red Panda Existential Complex

Nice, I like it.

Windcaller likes this.
  4. RenaldiForumStar

RenaldiForumStar Big Damn Hero

one word: dragonbreath.

ZombieKyle, Xonos, Apparatus and 3 others like this.
  5. BoJaN

BoJaN Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Add melee attacks and remove touch damage, except where it makes sense, like monsters with spikes or acidic skin.

6. Somfunambulist

Somfunambulist Void-Bound Voyager

Monsters that emit actual functional poisonous liquid would be interesting.

7. Ravager

Ravager Title Not Found

Perhaps for some body parts, instead of projectiles, they would shoot lazers, or homing attacks such as insects or throwing regrowable body parts?

Serenity, jonathonspy, Xonos and 4 others like this.
  8. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Good that you ask for mob changes, glad you ask that, I have made quite a good ammount of thoughts how to possible improve mobs and make them more challenging.

More "psychic abilities" of mobs would be nice: "Psistrike" or "Psiblast" basicly throwing an invisible bolt of kinetic energy at you (should be an actual projectile, but invisible). Standard Push and Pull abilities for mobs pushing you fast back and pulling you fast towards them.

"Psychokinesis" like move for mobs which is basicly "hitscan". It is inevadeable but does little damage. Telekinesis for mobs which allows them to deflect bigger projectiles like grenades or rockets back at the user.
    All psychic abilities should be bound to certain mob parts looking like amplifiers: For instance a dark blue crystalline spike on their chest (or their shoulders or head) glowing when they prepare a psychic attack, or crystalls/"gems" on their arms and forhead. Generally a slightly larger (dont go overboard pls) head indicating a bigger brain. Since we also had some mobs with mechanical legs we could have some cyborgs looking kinda like "Yuri" if you know what I mean. Yuri is a character from Red Alert 2 and had artifical psychic amplfiers all over his body, but specially on his head. Maybe adding some pipes and hoses going from their backside of their head to the sides indicating that they receive some stims improving their powers. Mobs with psychic powers should be humanoid since a large brain is required for said hypothetical psychic powers which (usually) non humanoid life wont support...

Going to the next type of mobs: Area Denial: That basicly means adding some moves to mobs allowing them to spit fire which scorches an area for an given ammount of time. Means go into the scorched area and you get some damage. The damage scales with the planet level. This could have some variants: Corrosive bursts which spits highly aggressiv chemicals in an area (green mobs with green smoke effect could have that maybe, very stereotype), Plasma afterburn (hell we have mobs shooting compressed plasma, why not giving them a plasma stream which scorches an area for a while) over to biological weapons for the fungus creature of the Agaran maybe releasing spores making anyone in the cloud ALOT slower. It could even have a psychic attack called "Psistorm" or "Psi-Emission" or "Blowout", an slightly purple but yet almost invisible field/cloud which just hurts everything with a mind rapidly which dares to enter the area.

If possible would you guys be able to add some kind of working laser attack for mobs... like an "Eye laser" which is sorta clishee but very cool indeed. Or just an extremly long, extremly fast projectile if you cannot code some kind of beam weapon into the game. The laser of that mob should bounce at walls and therefor would make fighting in enclosed areas extremly dangerous... Can be combined with multiple elemental effects for instance fire (standard, a laser burns), Stinging Vision (poisons), Freeze Beam (Makes you slow, frostburn effect at some point maybe?) and maybe Immobilize/Stun Beam which takes away any momentum from a player being hit. However last beam type would take a while to be reused by the creature again due to balancing reasons and to avoid that it will stunlock you. Teleport should be also disabled when being hit by the hypothetical Stun Beam.
    And maybe a Leech attack. Which basicly drains live and energy to heal a mob. These would be awesome aswell I suppose.

For the melee of mobs: We should get more melee variants: Not only bite, punch and ram... maybe scratch (claws), slice&dice (blades) and impale ("Blunt blades"/"Spears") on mobs, if psychic powers for mobs are improved at some point maybe also "Psi-Blades" which basicly creates a blade out of kinetic energy which pierces and will hit multiple players and their critters if they are close together. That should have a propper animation and maybe makes mobs a bit more creative.

And please tweak touchdamage... of course a walking plasma tank shouldnt be touched (Well atleast I wouldnt try that, I suggset noone of you does that). But a damn cute little humanoid critter without any abilities shouldnt hurt on touching it. And if you touch a mob with fire attacks you should ignite maybe.

Update No.1

Well... let me start of that way... most attacks of mobs can be dodged with easy, either by jumping or by blinking, by dashing or just by straight flying. Most concerned I am with the jumping aspect that people can dodge most attacks without bigger effort... so whats the solution?

Volley Attacks of mobs: So we got right now very few "volley attacks" of mobs... e.g "Bubble Beam" which is outright taken from another franchise. Volley attacks are currently nothing but flamethrower variants which still aim directly at the player. However we could need some intended inaccuracy in mobattacks so they simulate to predict what the player is going to do. Examples for this could be a "Fire-Volley"... that would be a few fireballs fired in a short ammount of time with 3° angle inaccuracy. That avoids that mobs aim directly for the player and makes dodging their attacks a bit harder. More of those volley attacks could be "Acid Bulb Burst" which fires a few bulbs of acid giving the "corrsion"/poison debuff for a short ammount of time and if miss attach to the surface for a bit to deny the area. Another idea would be "Flak Plasma": Flak is a type of anti air weapon usually exploding on a certain height either in one large explosion or splitting into smaller catridges which explode then. So a "Flak Plasma" mob attack could fire a large bolt of plasma splitting into a few other bolts which explode on impact and eventually "scorch" the area for a short ammount of time. Kinda like a shotgun but more explosiv.
    Mobs could also have pulse laser attacks which is basicly a rapid fire laser type move which bounces from walls but not all shots will hit the player or are aimed at the player which makes mobs efficient against either groups of people or critters some player got. Last but not least mobs could get of course a psychic "volley attack" which would be "Psychic Fury": That name sounds a bit boring and stereotype but well... what it does it launches multiple weaker "Psistrikes"/Kintetic Strikes at the player again with a 3° angle incaccuracy to make it harder to evade. There could be also an homing variant of said Psychic Fury move...

Also homing projectiles... dont think I need to explain that in detail. But if we have mobs shooting swarms of canivorous flies at you we could also have some nice homing energy bolts and eventually rockets from those cyborg mobs we got already. Those will be harder to evade (because they are homing) but a good ammount of them (for instance homing missiles and homing boulders being affected by telekinetic powers) could be destroyed by ranged weapons... e.g shoot it with explosiv bullets and a "homing boulder" will be destroyed.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
  9. Ponjkl

Ponjkl Subatomic Cosmonaut

* Ability for a monster to drain your energy
    * Ability of catching you and not letting you move for a little while
    * Robotic monsters with more sci-fi attacks (lazers, increase gravity)
    * Producing real poisonous water
    * Jumping on your head
    * Tail slam that throws you really away
    ****Important: the ability for a monster to cover itself reducing the inflicted damage from the player
    * The ability to spawn a meteor and destroying the starbund worlds, wiping your ship and deleting your starbound files (good for mini-boses to get a sword or something)

Edit: i'm very happy of how the devs now listen more openly to the people :DD

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  10. BlueSmoke

BlueSmoke Scruffy Nerf-Herder

More sci-fi monsters, I agree with that.
    I am so excited for the upcoming features :lickitung:

11. Artem

Artem Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Improve monsters and NPCs AIs, please, so they stop stuck everywhere and finally start do something except just walk left and right mostly... I think that's the main step before improving the way they fight.

Disarm attack would be cool (but make it rare or it'll annoy players).

It's in the game, the attack is called 'GRAB'.

[whineandoff-topic]Stop adding content, guys, focus at really important game features. You can hate me, but I don't actually remember any new gameplay features that been added to the game after beta launch, just some content. I remember tree seeds though and leveling change not in a better way. I understand you guys there working hard for the game, for us as well, but I want to be honest as a fan, as a player, as a customer: I don't care about tech stuff that happens inside (behind the stuff I see and play with), but I care about bugs I see and I post some at twitter, forums and reddit while playing the game. Stuff in the game changed to be wa-a-ay more simple than before, tons of really cool original ideas are just lost and leaved somewhere behind. Once again, you can hate me, but I don't see any good progress as game features. Community mods still save some interest though. But while nothing cool happens Starbound announced for PS4 as I read somewhere, also there's another game in the works. What's going on, really? I remember tons and tons of promised stuff, but I still see all the same things I saw thousand of times on streams and youtube before beta launch and pretty much everything is still the same. I'm trying to not lose my faith and hope for this project, because I waited for too long, but everything just keeps getting me upset. I don't feel like community cash support really did anything to help the game (and it was pretty a lot, I believe)[/whineandoff-topic]

foreck, AdenSword, Windcaller and 2 others like this.
  12. Beldarak

Beldarak Void-Bound Voyager

Duo of monsters : Like a big brute that attacks you while another mob stay back and heals the brute one.

Also, monsters that summons some minions/robots.

13. Artem

Artem Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Lovely. That would really add some to it :)

RenaldiForumStar likes this.
  14. Raijyn

Raijyn Phantasmal Quasar

I think that's a good idea, I agree with this... it reminds me of spore. Monsters cannot harm you indirectly if they're not TRYING to hurt you, unless they have some sort of outer protective system like you mentioned, like spikes, acidic/poisonous skin or glands, burning lava skin, etc.

15. Nude_Cactus

Nude_Cactus Tentacle Wrangler

Have a monster attack that uses ice breath or shoots icicle spikes at you which could freeze you solid for a limited amount of time

Apparatus likes this.
  16. wubbles417

wubbles417 Space Spelunker

Okay, prepare for a long, rather unorganized post:

-I'd be really interested in some more elemental attacks/resistances, along with balancing to match threat level (eg. poison and fire do higher damage on tier 10 planets).

-Attacks which can destroy blocks. This could be reserved for bosses/minibosses, and ought to be limited to certain types of blocks. For instance, creatures couldn't just break into my house whenever they felt like it. This ability should also be very rare, and found only deep into high-level wilderness, far from any villages.

-The touch damage is really annoying,especially when it doesn't make sense (small, soft, fuzzy monster runs at me and does 453dmg just by smacking his face into me). Attack animations that are attack-specific would be much appreciated.

-Better monster AI, so they don't get stuck up against a wall and stop giving chase. One of the most annoying parts of combat. This could also include different behaviors, as in "flee on being attacked" "flee on sight" "attack on sight" "attack on approach". Different durations of pursuit would be more realistic as well.

-Finally, more projectile/beam attacks. Especially patterned ones with multiple projectiles. I'd like to be able to dodge projectiles based on my skill, not just by getting lucky. Learning how different combinations of attacks work would give one the edge so they could know where/when to stand/dodge/attack. Not to the level of a bullet hell game, but certainly more active combat than the current "smacky smack slash -- ow ow ow -- pew pew -- run away -- pew pew run more -- yay dead monster collect my 10pix loot and heal for ten minutes"

-P.S. I know this is unrelated and probably a WIP, but having to hunt monsters with a certain type of [common] part to obtain a unique resource could add a depth to hunting and future quests!

-P.P.S. Has anyone considered the possibility of stealth skills in Starbound?
    Just putting that out there.

Thanks for all the hard work, and good luck!
    -wubbles417

PabloM, Titanium, Ashgan and 15 others like this.
  17. Attack_Fish

Attack_Fish Phantasmal Quasar

I love the creatures in this game and the combat is the best part of this game right now. However, all of these creature features are moot if the AI isn't smart enough. It's too easy to fight a monster by building a wall around them. Or escaping because their path was stopped by one block.

18. Brassqund

Brassqund Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Nice nice nice!
    More challenge!
    More variety!
    More stuff to kill!
    More stuff to hunt!
    More stuff to stab!
    I sound like a floran at the end... I am infected!
    AAAAAAH!!

You are right...
    but I am sure better AI is plan somewhere.

Serenity and legodude2 like this.
  19. ThunderBeta

ThunderBeta Big Damn Hero

Monsters need giant plasma claws. So cool.

20. DarkGod

DarkGod Aquatic Astronaut

monsters that burrow. Monsters that have long range tentacles to grab from a distance. Monsters that flee when their health gets low, or are impaired when their health gets low. Monsters that get stronger when their health gets low, increasing attack power or activating more moves. And there was another thing that I was thinking, why does it have to be a psi staff, why couldn't there be some sort of item that would either go in the vanity head armor slot, or on the back? A wheel could just be implemented that's like the item wheel, but under it, and it has all the spells/psychic abilities that you have loaded in your slots,and whenever you use one it would take up energy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.