Explorable moons

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Zeldo, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Zeldo

Zeldo Big Damn Hero

Yeah, yeah. Exploring a completely randomly generated planet full of interesting things is cool and all, but what about the moon or moons that orbit that planet? Sorry if this has been suggested already, but how about the ability to explore the moon? (If this has been suggested, please notify me)
    Enemies, items, and materials could be totally different from what you could find on the planet.

Sure you could just find a new planet if you wanted to explore another celestial body, but I thought it'd be cool to have explorable moons. I thought of this when I was thinking about flying straight up off your planet, and suddenly the gravity switches upside down and you land on the moon of your planet. Just thought it could be a pretty cool addition to the game. One problem I have with my idea is that I cannot think of what you could add to the moon that would differ from the planet. Craters? Different gravitational force? Underground lakes? Any are plausible, but I'd like some other ideas. Anyone have anything?

Cdecarlos, vanella, Blarzek and 24 others like this.
  2. Ethric

Ethric Phantasmal Quasar

If accessing moons will be allowed, it should at the very least have the following things:
    • Unique mobs.
    • Materials exclusive to the moon (Moon rocks? Meteor fragments? Star pieces?).
    • Low gravity (slower movement, higher jump).
    You should also be able to create "Moon Bases", which would be somehow connected from your actual base (teleporting module, possibly?).

Munggs, dwefa, OccipitaL and 11 others like this.
  3. Gracie

Gracie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm a huge fan of this idea, not in small part because of sci-fi stories that include the moons of planets. This would just be one more way to make planets unique - the number and style of moons that orbit it. There could be a difference in monsters/spawn rates in general, such as fewer monsters around, or only small monsters.

Redtail9898 likes this.
  4. Vaidred

Vaidred Phantasmal Quasar

I like this idea. I approve. BUT there should be some life on the moons. Not on all the moons, but there should at least be a chance of getting a randomly generated moon with life on it and maybe some very valuable and useful resources.

5. Ethric

Ethric Phantasmal Quasar

Stranded, silent, and hostile astronauts. Now that would be be creepy.

6. Vaidred

Vaidred Phantasmal Quasar

Oh Jesus! That would be creepy :speechless: but I would like to see the randomly spawned moons with life on them haha, I think it would be cool.

7. Zeldo

Zeldo Big Damn Hero

I agree, life on the moons would be pretty darn cool. I think, if there was life, it should be restricted to underground. I like the idea of discovering hidden life or civilizations below the lifeless surface.

GunningWaffle and Killian217 like this.
  8. The Thing

The Thing Existential Complex

Huh... we've had screenshot of moons before. Moon, asteroid and a bunch of other space stuff was confirmed as far as I know.

9. blejd

blejd Scruffy Nerf-Herder

WELL I WANT TO SEE MOONBASES, then put nuke launcher on the moon and boom, there it go - DIRECTLY TO YOU INFESTED PLANET WHERE YOU FAILED EXPERIMENT ON BATTLEDROID AND YOU CANT CONTROL IT ANYMORE (little outbreak), cleaning you know, cleaning entire planet ;o

SproutDog and xLyraHeartstringsx like this.
  10. tedlil

tedlil Pangalactic Porcupine

look at date of these posts ;)

11. King Leonidas

King Leonidas Pangalactic Porcupine

NECROPOSTING YEEEEEEAAAAHHH!!!!!!!!

Lightning Runner likes this.
  12. blejd

blejd Scruffy Nerf-Herder

SPARTAAA

King Leonidas likes this.
  13. An Incognito Tuxedo

An Incognito Tuxedo Subatomic Cosmonaut

Don't forget paranoid!

Also, I'm pretty sure this has been implemented.

14. Dragrath

Dragrath Phantasmal Quasar

I want a moon like titan... With an atmoshere and all (feel free to throw in the methane seas and rain cycle...)

15. 1mwb

1mwb Big Damn Hero

Ya there was xD he even said he was looking for moon rocks. So yea there confirmed.

16. Evinagro

Evinagro Cosmic Narwhal

Remember, some moons are much larger than the Earth's moon, so the gravity will differentiate.
    Star pieces? For realism, that wouldn't exist; in non-realism, it would exist

xLyraHeartstringsx likes this.
  17. Baku Vicen

Baku Vicen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Think I heard in other posts developers are already working in this feature. There'll be interesting see the oxygen point, and if it's possible to build a base without worry about refilling it.
    NB. I didn't heard a word bout oxygen, but it's basic, right?. Maybe with some suit or oxygen module.

18. Lumberjack_Liam

Lumberjack_Liam Existential Complex

This sounds super interesting....

19. Lastofwalrii

Lastofwalrii Master Chief

Assuming that planets have a stable atmosphere with all the necessary things like oxygen, nitrogen, etc. You should need a special suit to go on a moon, you would still need oxygen to survive, and moon bases should have some kind of oxygen tanks/storage/supply so that way you would have to make a machine to compress oxygen in order to breathe on the moon, in a moon base or outside in a suit. And without oxygen of course, you would die.

Creature likes this.
  20. Noggin_bops

Noggin_bops Aquatic Astronaut

There are no moons bigger than earth, they are called planets. :p

King Leonidas likes this.