Growing Villages

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by PurpleSquirel43, Nov 2, 2013.

?

How would villages expand?

1. You would build more houses for residents.

17.7%
  2. Villagers would build more houses for residents.

80.1%
  3. Villages wouldn't expand.

2.1%
  1. PurpleSquirel43

PurpleSquirel43 Pangalactic Porcupine

All villages would start off at a predetermined size, then you could build additions and more residents would move in. Alternatively, villagers could build their own buildings as a mean of expansion.

Edit: As some others have mentioned, forever-expanding villages could be an issue. There would have to be a way to limit village growth horizontally, then the villages would continue vertically.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

3. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

This has been suggested before.

Facethelight likes this.
  4. linux_user

linux_user Lucky Number 13

plain vote

vote for :
    villagers should expand only in high or Y-axis

5. Svarr Chanston

Svarr Chanston Cosmic Narwhal

I can foresee problems, put a system in place so the player has some word in it before the village makes it official to expand on what you may have wanted to do with it yourself first.

6. M67 Zippo

M67 Zippo Void-Bound Voyager

hm..

perhaps putting a chest somewhere in the village that the player could put resources into. If buildings need repair or upgrading the citizens will use those materials and the city will either pay the player in cash or items.

7. Svarr Chanston

Approved!

8. Euanj04

Euanj04 Aquatic Astronaut

Will they need specific resources or will they just use any block. Because I think it would be odd if a house was made of dirt and sand. Or will they just convert resource to the resources they need. Also I think you should give them equipment to have more of a safe haven.

9. Heartstrings

Heartstrings Giant Laser Beams

I think it'd be nice if the village didn't expand too much, and after a certain point it would stop expanding on the X-axis completely, and simply build up or demolish existing houses for larger ones. They should be able to create psudo-mines and farms and treefarms and whatnot, that only produce materials for the AI so a complex AI isn't needed.

The player should also be able to ask a town's mayor to avoid expanding in an area or in a direction completely, and depending on the mayor's personality they may or may not care for landscaping, forests, mountains, and whatnot. Over time different people become mayors and they expand or damage the city in different ways.

10. [Yellow]

[Yellow] Phantasmal Quasar

I can see this causing somewhat a few problems. For example if you have a player-built house in the village, wouldn't it build over the house? Unless it's set to only build 5-10 blocks away from blocks placed by the player, but it could also pose a problem since you may have been terraforming/landscaping the area.
    Enough about the bad points for now... This could actually work really well for a floran tribe, as it could grow on the Y axis and stop the expansion a couple blocks below the end of the atmosphere.

Aussieclone likes this.
  11. Svarr Chanston

I would like them to expand across the entire planet by player chosen option. :3 Earth style

12. NonBritGit

NonBritGit Cosmic Narwhal

Being a 2D game, you'd want to limit how far they spread. Perhaps with boundary stakes you pound in the ground. When boundary is met, they build vertically.

13. Zeklo

Zeklo Heliosphere

First is world domination and then they create their first spaceship and move on to other planet. (I'm joking btw)

PurpleSquirel43 and [Yellow] like this.
  14. wallespider56

wallespider56 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I like how this is turning out

15. Piratedcopy

Piratedcopy Big Damn Hero

Well, maybe the villages might "evolve", I.E. Glitch villages might evolve to more fortified structures, evolving due to player interaction.

16. Zeklo

Zeklo Heliosphere

Yeah but population causes then to expand. So the larger they get the more advanced the tech they get & more people (Not all of this is directed at you I just never gave any real criticism).

17. Wolf_Link_318

Wolf_Link_318 Intergalactic Tourist

I think the "Mayor" could ask the villagers which way to expand the village. The votes would be based on other villages in the area, the supplies the village has, and if the village is being attacked by Metroids. :metroid::chrono::metroid::eek::metroid::chrono::metroid: LOLOLLOOL!!!

I'm sorry.

18. HedgeFlanders

HedgeFlanders Big Damn Hero

I like the idea, therefore you earn my thumbs up.

19. Aussieclone

Aussieclone Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think it would be a great idea if villages had items they needed and once the player gets them, he/she can place buildings like the crafting table, but after placing it the villagers start building in THAT spot with the kind of structure the player places. Kind of like Ace of Spades. The larger the village gets the more money each building costs and new structures are available. After lots of people are in the village, I think it would be better if they stopped building and just upgraded (wood to stone). But at the very end one villager starts selling stuff.

PurpleSquirel43 likes this.
  20. [Yellow]

[Yellow] Phantasmal Quasar

Seeing as I have played the game and I've seen the sizes that many villages can be, this will not be necessary. The first village I found was a massive Avian village stretching through 1/5 of the whole planet (insanely massive). Then there was a military base that was composed of 4-5 huge buildings.