24th July Progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Jrocs

Jrocs Void-Bound Voyager

WOW that was an awesome update post! i need fresh pants.

2. Mukin

Mukin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Q_____________

3. SnakeX

SnakeX Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh man, I'm super curious as to what the first boss could possibly be. Perhaps we'll see a sneak peak of this boss when the game is being shown at Insomnia 49? ;)

Also, "beamaxe"...does that mean the game has the equivalent of a Zaku heat hawk? Neat.

Toryu-Mau likes this.
  4. thetokenshadow

thetokenshadow Big Damn Hero

This may seem like an odd request, but I'm really hoping that some of the bosses are regular-sized characters. It seems like a ton of games these days toss out giant hit-it-on-a-certain-spot monsters. While I believe this type has its place, I definitely want to see something like a cleaver-wielding Floran in a room full of bones or maybe a rifle-toting novakid in a long tattered cloak that snipes at you from a ruined building. A hylotl ronin that demands a duel in exchange for passage across a bridge. Just a few examples. "People" as bosses always seem more memorable to me, especially if the way they fight ties into their appearance and location.

5. MrCredible

MrCredible Void-Bound Voyager

I'm so turned on by this post, I've become a game sexual.

keyfox11 likes this.
  6. Milly Rainbowskittlez

Milly Rainbowskittlez Cosmic Narwhal

FFFFFFFF
    PENGUIN MINIBOSS!!!! DX<

keyfox11, Axe Garian and Menasor like this.
  7. Silvestre

Silvestre Pangalactic Porcupine

Minibosses? Super waffles? :D
    I also think the font is good enough to read, way to go!!

Menasor likes this.
  8. Mister Pixel

Mister Pixel Big Damn Hero

This isn't a mockup. Our quest system is go!

Silvestre likes this.
  9. lpp911

lpp911 Zero Gravity Genie

In my opinion if you color the important text it should be fine (Go to city of Wendell and find the Orange Dog "for little example or as you have it")

Otherwise great job and work work work... hehe so we can play sooner :D

10. leblac

leblac Aquatic Astronaut

i love this font

11. carcrasher65

carcrasher65 Pangalactic Porcupine

[​IMG]

There is going to be a Holy Grail quest... Right?

EDIT: also I found a website that has an identical font used by the game, I don't know if the team got lazy or what but here it is if you have been looking for it.

12. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

COMIC SANS!

I vote it as the new font for Starbound!

Leak, Titanium, carcrasher65 and 2 others like this.
  13. XDarkPhoenixX

XDarkPhoenixX Pangalactic Porcupine

The font is fine as long as it big enough.
    So font won't be a problem for me unless Starbound doesn't support 720p fullscreen (1280x720).

14. Hooveh

Hooveh Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes, we're totally going to associate the giant lava monster that has electric horns growing out of its chest with a certain part of the lore, ruining the story and destroying the hype.

Speaking of hype, I think that such is why Tiy refuses to show too much or let us get our hands on an early beta of the game. Remember when Skyrim was released, and everyone was just blown away? So many cool open-world features that allowed you to do ANYTHING (kill a town, pickpocket someone, mess with the guards and get sent to prison, etc.). I mean, they certainly weren't new or unheard of, but they were well-executed and seldom done as fully as Skyrim. It's my belief that Starbound is trying to be like that, but with 200% (pulling a number out of my spaceship's favorite exhaust pipe is what I do best) more innovation. Rather than people playing small parts of the game at a time (as they're developed / released), we get the entire game at once. The hype and reward at the end for being so patient is why I think the devs are keeping the game away from us for now. And that's absolutely fine, in my book. While frequent updates are great ways to keep a game alive, I believe that they're better kept 'till the game's actually out.

While I'm contradicting some people's beliefs (meaning I have a lot, but not quite everything, to lose), let me just go full-idiot:

GUYS! HEY, GUYS GUYS! Pay attention to me! I compare two games that are nothing like eachother! LOOK AT ME ACT SMART!

Thank you for your wasted time.

keyfox11, rigapotato and Axe Garian like this.
  15. Iroza

Iroza Phantasmal Quasar

And so the first boss appears...

tassina likes this.
  16. Renlou

Renlou Industrial Terraformer

Comic Sans is so terrible that it has gone full circle and became cool.............. or not

keyfox11 likes this.
  17. samufel

samufel Subatomic Cosmonaut

I thought about the same things today, but with a somehow multiplayer hardcoded universe that would be the same for everyone , a place where you could go with some friends for a challenge.....Dont know if this would be possible tough..... Ho and the font is fine like that by the way and thanx for keeping us up to date with the developement

18. Ammonite

Ammonite Space Penguin Leader

It's...pixel font, i assume they all look pretty much the same. How many ways are there to build letters from 5x5 pixels?

Leak likes this.
  19. JHSpencer

JHSpencer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I can smell the beta release already...:megusta:

20. carcrasher65

carcrasher65 Pangalactic Porcupine

Yeah you're right about it being pixel font, but YA NEVER KNOW. (and knowing is half the battle)

[​IMG]

There are a few close ones but every upper and lower cased letter matched along with the numbers.

OR someone made this font to emulate Starbounds.
    Nope it appears the font was first seen on the site back in 2005 with 809,548 downloads to date. The team must have used it or they made a font exactly like this one and didn't realize it.

Hey, anyone want to start a conspiracy??

Core likes this.